Hey Gobolts

Team T&S

You may want to think about decommisioning Andrew's cache- it's nasty with black widows. A muggle got in the way tonight, so I don't have a pic yet; but I'll get one maybe tomorrow; you'll see the cache right behind a web with a fat BWS sitting there.

The first similar hiding spot I checked there I did so by sticking my hand in and feeling around; all I felt was web.

Then I thought "whoops!"

I checked each such place, and yep- BWS at home in every one. Maybe just a warning in the description would do, but I'd be nervous- one bitten buddy is more than enough to ruin your day.

You may want to think about decommisioning Andrew's cache- it's nasty with black widows. A muggle got in the way tonight, so I don't have a pic yet; but I'll get one maybe tomorrow; you'll see the cache right behind a web with a fat BWS sitting there.

The first similar hiding spot I checked there I did so by sticking my hand in and feeling around; all I felt was web.

Then I thought "whoops!"

I checked each such place, and yep- BWS at home in every one. Maybe just a warning in the description would do, but I'd be nervous- one bitten buddy is more than enough to ruin your day.

I know it blows against conventional "facts," but in reality those little black widows have no desire to bite you and have little if any chance of causing harm. I'll post references if so desired. Feel free to sweep them awaw from any caches you find and flick them off you, but you're MUCH more likely to die from having a heart attack from worrying about them than you are from being bit by them.

drexotic

By the way, Andrew's is one of my favorites! :rolleyes:

...but you're MUCH more likely to die from having a heart attack from worrying about them than you are from being bit by them.

That's like saying you more likely to die from a car accident then from a shark bite - not if you're a commercial diver that doesn't know how to drive and you live miles away from the nearest road!

In other words, wouldn't the odds turn around if you stick your hand among the widows?

I'm pretty familiar with them, after all I scrounge around every day looking for property corners. Hardly day goes by that I see less a than a few. I saw a discovery-channel type of show about them some years back when I lived in boise, about a guy who raises them in his basement for their venom.

Which is why it was so stupid of me to stick my hand where I did without looking first. Once I felt the web I knew I was screwing up. If she hadn't had room to get out of the way, she'd have bit me, same as if she was in my shoe when I put it on.

Say 99 times out of 100 she'll back off and not bite; But that one time...

But the more I think about it, some of the best places for a cache are just perfect to attract BSW so I geuss if someone wants to take part, they best learn to watch out. Like divers learn not to stick their hands over edges.