Why------tranfer Of Web-cams?

Are any other categories being removed from Geocaching.com?

Yes. Most likely web cam caches and Earthcaches will be moved to the Waymarking site. As with virtuals, existing maintained listings will remain active on geocaching.com for the near future.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

QUESTION>>>>

Why move them? Once they are moved they will disappear into oblivion as they will be only a small segment of 'Waymarking' and not as exposed as they are now in 'Geocaching' at a given 'Geographical' site.

My cams (which are not virtual but actual like geocaches) are now found by entering a location search (zip code) and can be logged almost as easily as an actual cache. This is "NOT" an unknown location but an actual co-ordinate site and should therefore not be moved. Why would anyone try to 'also' find them if not listed under 'Geocaching'

This move would be the deathknell for all of my 'Web-cams' :rolleyes: as I don't believe they would be cross refenced when just caching.

....The interest obviously would be just to log them in 'Waymarking' as I have done with mine and nobody else would bother to go and get his/her picture taken as it wouldn't be counted as a credit anyway.

Waymarking Web-cam Webpage for single camera locations and logs only

I have been torn with the move of both virtual and webcams to Waymarking. On one hand, I understand the argument that there is not a physical cache to sign so it is not a "cache" in the tradional sense. However, in order to find these locations, you still have to use the same methods you use to find physical caches. Personally, I would like to see both virtuals and webcams stay on geocaching.com and not be moved.

I wouldn't consider a webcam a POI.

What do you mean? It's not a point of interest?

Webcams are kinda cool... but since there isn't a logbook nor container, it's not a cache. Although I probably won't be a big fan myself, I hope that Waymarking becomes popular, because the site could provide a big selection of rather interesting places to visit.

Jamie

Edited by Jamie Z
I wouldn't consider a webcam a POI.

What do you mean? It's not a point of interest?

Webcams are kinda cool... but since there isn't a logbook nor container, it's not a cache. Although I probably won't be a big fan myself, I hope that Waymarking becomes popular, because the site could provide a big selection of rather interesting places to visit.

Jamie

I hope it does good too, but maybe I just don't like when things change! :D I'm guilty.

I'm clearly in the camp of "I wish they wouldn't move them". I like having them all in one place. OK, so they don't have a cache, it's still all part of the same sport IMO, and as noted I find them the same way. Now I have an extra layer, I will have to log into two places. I don't see the value add, as far as I am concerned I look for improvements and again IMO this isn't one.

I'm clearly in the camp of "I wish they wouldn't move them". I like having them all in one place. OK, so they don't have a cache, it's still all part of the same sport IMO, and as noted I find them the same way. Now I have an extra layer, I will have to log into two places. I don't see the value add, as far as I am concerned I look for improvements and again IMO this isn't one.

Well said