Coins Made In China

bushwackin' schmo

My personal preference is for coins not made in China.

Why is everyone hatin' on China? I had no idea where the New Mexico coins were going to be made. Frankly I didn't care as long as they look good - I think they look great.

If anyone would like their money back because the coins were made overseas just return the coins to me and I'll issue a refund. Geesh! :rolleyes:

Oh, no! Does this mean the 9key coin is made in China? Oh, woe is me!!!!

LOL - I don't care at all. I'm eagerly awaiting arrival of my 9key coins. I think they're great!

www.coinandpins.com = Hong Kong

What???!!!! You're kidding, right??!!

No I’m not..

My order, which was done with coinsandpins came from Hong Kong.

That’s why the shipping charge is so much from them.

edit..

The Fedex label also says from Hong Kong

Edited by pcfrog
New Mexico coin, made overseas.... $7 +shipping

Alaska coin, minted in the United States..... $5 +shipping

Someone was saying American workers are overpriced?

For a direct apples to apples comparison, if the 2005 Alaska brass geocoin had been gc.com trackable, the cost would have been about $7.00-$7.50 by the time we bought the tracking numbers from gc.com and paid the extra engraving fees for the random alpha-numeric tracking numbers.

Also hidden in the per coin cost is the mintage. Alaska minted 1500 brass coins to hold the per coin cost to $5. If the mintage had been held to 1000 or less like other states are doing, the cost would have been 65 to 70 cents per coin higher to recoup the die costs.

:rolleyes: My most expensive coins were made at the Alaska mint. The Alaska gold relief coins went for $42 apiece. Truly outstanding superior quality coins and IMHO the best looking coin out there. Had they been made elsewhere with the same quality, I would have gladly paid the same. :blink:

The reason the 2005 Alaska silver and silver with gold relief coins cost so much more than the $5 brass coin is that they are one ounce 0.999 silver and silver with real gold relief, respectively. The base metal price and extra processing step for the gold relief in large part drove the cost of the Alaska limited editions.

Edited by Ladybug Kids
I don't remember if there was actual shipping from the AK mint.  I know the cacher/designer actually visited the mint during the process though, so it is possible they were picked up.

I think the poster may have been referring to shipping costs to the individual cachers. However, it is correct that I did not incur shipping costs from the mint to me, but there was a certain amount of personal physical effort incurred during two separate trips through the airport with more than 50-80 pounds of carryon luggage :blink:. Plus, the grey hairs that sprouted when security initially said they needed to unwrap each bundle of 25 brass coins and open each limited edition box to verify all they held were coins :rolleyes:. Fortunately, reason eventually prevailed and they were convinced to run the coins through the x-ray machine "edge up" so they could see through the packaging.

Edited by Ladybug Kids

The reason the 2005 Alaska silver and silver with gold relief coins cost so much more than the $5 brass coin is that they are one ounce 0.999 silver and silver with real gold relief, respectively.  The base metal price and extra processing step for the gold relief in large part drove the cost of the Alaska limited editions.

:rolleyes: Did I mention that the Alaska coins are the Best looking coins out there? :blink:

Thanks again Ladybug Kids, I really love this coin.

No I’m not..

edit..

My coins from coinsandpins came from Hong Kong as well, but I only payed $8 for shipping. :rolleyes: It's been my experience that the only thing from China/Japan/Hong Kong/etc. that is extremely sub par in quality is knives. I don't plan on cutting anything with my coins, so I don't see an issue in that.

Edited by Vargseld? ™
the only thing from China/Japan/Hong Kong/etc. that is extremely sub par in quality is knives. I don't plan on cutting anything with my coins

There are too many high quality blades made in the Far East to mention. Of course, you'll never get a decent knife, regardless where it's made, for the cost of a Geocoin. Well, maybe a MIGO seasonal on eBay. :rolleyes:

©¿©¬

the only thing from China/Japan/Hong Kong/etc. that is extremely sub par in quality is knives. I don't plan on cutting anything with my coins

There are too many high quality blades made in the Far East to mention. Of course, you'll never get a decent knife, regardless where it's made, for the cost of a Geocoin. Well, maybe a MIGO seasonal on eBay. :D

©¿©¬

Well, if you're talking about legitamently made katanas and the like then you're absolutely correct. I'm refering to pocket knives, though. I've been very dissapointed with some "high quality" Japanese made knives that get spots on the blades from just being carried around coughBenchmadecough.

Sorry, I'll stop going off topic now. :rolleyes:B)

Most coin makers are essentially an interface for a foreign coin maker. Foreign typically means Korea, and China. Though Hong Kong did come up.

Out of 26 or so companies I've contacted 20 have responded. Some only said "Overseas" or "Asia"

Of those that said:

3, Korea,

1, Australia

1, Canada

5, USA

5, China

1, Hong Kong (Since Hong Kong is China these days some China responses could be Hong Kong)

More than one coin maker didn't like the Korean makers due to copyright issues, unauthorized use of dies etc. That doesnt' mean all Korean makers do that, but Korea was the only country singled out.

Coins and Pins said they use China or the USA depending on the coin.

Edited by Renegade Knight

No I’m not..

edit..

My coins from coinsandpins came from Hong Kong as well, but I only payed $8 for shipping. :rolleyes: It's been my experience that the only thing from China/Japan/Hong Kong/etc. that is extremely sub par in quality is knives. I don't plan on cutting anything with my coins, so I don't see an issue in that.

Just to clear this up, Hong Kong = China :D.

Also, most of the manufacturing that used to happen in HK has moved to Guangzhou, which borders Hong Kong.

Most companies in Guangzhou ship thier orders to Hong Kong to ship. What you are most likely seeing is the last place before shipment to coinsandpins.

nielsenc

Ooh!  Chinese icon!  1211f8d5-ea93-415c-98b0-39c2918f1531.jpg

I'll design the Chinese Geocoins and have them minted in the US.

There. Now is everyone happy? B)

We will take 5 regular and 2 limited edition.

:DB)B):rolleyes:B):D

Paid up member of GAA

I should add that I'm not Chinese, have never been to China, have never seen "Chinatown", and have absolutely NOTHING to do with anything remotely Chinese except that I like Cashew Chicken and occasionally enjoy it on dinnerware that's ironically called "china".

So, how many do you all want?

B)

Ooh!  Chinese icon!  1211f8d5-ea93-415c-98b0-39c2918f1531.jpg

I'll design the Chinese Geocoins and have them minted in the US.

There. Now is everyone happy? B)

We will take 5 regular and 2 limited edition.

:DB)B):rolleyes:B):D

Paid up member of GAA

I should add that I'm not Chinese, have never been to China, have never seen "Chinatown", and have absolutely NOTHING to do with anything remotely Chinese except that I like Cashew Chicken and occasionally enjoy it on dinnerware that's ironically called "china".

So, how many do you all want?

B)

That is close enough for us. How soon will they ship?

All my coins came wrapped in a baggie that said Made in China. I think the big box may have had Hong Kong printed on it.

Um..... Hong Kong is part of China now.

Personally, I am Canadian -- so any coins not made in Canada are.... well. not made in Canada. This is okay with metal coins, but I think all wooden nickels should be made in Canada. The metal ones should have ore from Canada. Of course, I'm from Alberta -- so don't get me started on oil.

Okay -- just kidding. Truth is, we live in a global economy and I have no preference as to where coins are made. The trade-off triangle of Price, Quality and Timely delivery will win.

I do watch mostly US-made movies though. Also, most software I use in engineered in the US, but "coded" in India and overseas.

Vargseld? ™ did you really really only pay 8.00 dollars for the shipping of your coins? Or did I miss read your post?

D & R Military has always charged my 60.00 dollars for 100 coins! :rolleyes:

Pepper

Woops, I was wrong. Shipping was $32.00 (still pretty cheap). Wow, that means the coins cost less than I thought. :D

I noticed that a lot of resposes to this thread were about price. How much would the actual savings be? If it's really importtant about being cheaper why get them made at all? It is this mentality that is also why so many people are living at the poverty level or below in the USA. plants can't stay open if everybody buys the cheap foreign made goods.

I noticed that a lot of resposes to this thread were about price. How much would the actual savings be? If it's really importtant about being cheaper why get them made at all? It is this mentality that is also why so many people are living at the poverty level or below in the USA. plants can't stay open if everybody buys the cheap foreign made goods.

I can see the frustration -- but the reality is that everyone wants to be paid high and spend low. Walmart is where most people shop for household goods for a reason.

I may not get my coins made in my country (Canada), but I do contribute to the economic well-being in other ways.

You know, we sure have some lively debates around here! <_<

The majority of coins that are being sold and traded on these forums are manufactured in the Far-East. I'm not saying that this is good or bad, it's just a fact.

I will say, that with as much as we all adore our coins, just be careful how much affection you give them! I'd hate so see someone kissing or licking their newly minted coins and come down with a case of avian flu... :drama:<_<

You have to ask yourself if the production of the coins within the US will provide jobs that can support US families. I do not see geocoins (coins and medals) production being large enough to become a true viable US industry. We might be better off leaving production of such items in the far east and concentrating our attention on more robust manfacturing that can support US families.

I'd personally prefer them to be US made and would pay a little extra for that. If they are made cheaply in China it'd be nice to see the savings passed on to us geocachers instead of trying to make a buck from your comrades.

Was that directed an anyone in particular, or am I being overly sensitive today? :)

You are being overly sensitive... :o

...You have to ask yourself if the production of the coins within the US will provide jobs that can support US families. I do not see geocoins (coins and medals) production being large enough to become a true viable US industry....

Given there are mints in the USA I'd have to say the answer is yes they do support families and it is a viable industry. Perhaps not on the scale of the Auto Industry but more deserving than the cheeze whiz industry.

As a non-US resident (and non-Chinese too), I personally do not care where my coins are minted -- as long as the quality is good. I find it odd that the focus is not on quality, price and speed of service, but rather than on the place of manufacture under the pretense of job-protection.

The best way to protect any job is simple -- do the best job at the right price with the best service. I am sure that if this becomes the case for a US firm, that firm will win more contracts and work.

The fact that where coins are made is an issue strikes me as very odd to be truethful. I would suggest that each person chooses their own manufacturer and which coins to purchase. If someone asked me where my coins were made as a pre-determinent to purchase -- I would actually be surprized.

The best way to protect any job is simple -- do the best job at the right price with the best service.

It would be wonderful if it really were that simple. Well it is that simple if you are willing to work for FREE... because by too many people's definition, THAT is the right price.

Too often manufacture of products is being moved from Europe and North America to 3rd world countries simply because the workers there will (or have to) work for less, sometimes 1/100th of the European wage. Oh, the price of the product to the consumer may drop a little, usually just enough to undercut the competitors price but I've never seen the price of the product drop in direct proportion to the wage savings the company is making.

If this were to happen then I would imagine a Chinese minted coin should cost about 1/10th of the cost of a North American minted coin.... that's not the case. So, who's raking in all the cash of the price differential? I guarantee it's not the workers who are actually doing the WORK of making the coins. You may feel that's capitalism at its best, all fine and dandy... I do not.

So in the end, this really ISN'T about WHERE the coin (or any product for that matter) is made... it's about whether the workers are being paid a fair wage relative to the profits the company is reaping off their labour. When the companies either 1) Raise the wages of the workers or 2) lowers the price of their coins to be in reasonable proportion to their labor savings... then yea I'll gladly buy coins (or other products) made WHEREEVER. Till then I'll do my best to support people trying to RAISE the standard of living for everyone in the world rather than the greedy ones trying to get rich off the blood and sweat of the workers.

{quote

So in the end, this really ISN'T about WHERE the coin (or any product for that matter) is made... it's about whether the workers are being paid a fair wage relative to the profits the company is reaping off their labour. When the companies either 1) Raise the wages of the workers or 2) lowers the price of their coins to be in reasonable proportion to their labor savings... then yea I'll gladly buy coins (or other products) made WHEREEVER. Till then I'll do my best to support people trying to RAISE the standard of living for everyone in the world rather than the greedy ones trying to get rich off the blood and sweat of the workers.

Very well said, but where was your GPSr made?