Coins Made In China

bushwackin' schmo

I bet that 80+% of all the coins are minted in China.

I know that the Alaska ones were made in Alaska at the Alaska mint.

That estimate might be a little low.

I know that some who have attempted to have a local shop do their coins have discovered that the shop can't accomplish what was being asked.

Edited by pdxmarathonman

Another thing to note, just because it doesnt have the 'made in china' sticker on them, doesnt mean they werent. Our samples came in with no sticker yet the coins did. I have seen other coins which had no sticker on them yet I *know* they were made in China. At least they dont stamp that on the coin!

My personal preference is for coins not made in China.

Why is everyone hatin' on China? I had no idea where the New Mexico coins were going to be made. Frankly I didn't care as long as they look good - I think they look great.

If anyone would like their money back because the coins were made overseas just return the coins to me and I'll issue a refund. Geesh! :rolleyes:

IIRC, the coins from KV come from South Korea. Coins & Pins offers multiple greades of coins, with the cheaper coins coming from an unspecified source while the higher grades are made in the US.

My personal preference is for coins not made in China.

From the coins I see coming from CoinsandPins, based on the artwork, they are made in China.

Take what pdxmarathonman wrote to heart, unless they give you the name of the mint, like the Alaska Coins, they are most likely made in China.

We did contact the Alaska Mint to make some of our coins but they were unable to do some of the custom things on our coins. For example, we wanted to have the tracking number on the back of the coin, they could not do that.

with the dutch geocoins, we did look for coin makers in the Netherlands, but the prices where very high.

For the die only we would already have to pay $850 for each side.

The costs for one coin would go up to about $20, and they couldn't number them, and coloring was not possible either.

Were the Dutch coins actually minted in the U.S.? Or was it just a U.S. company?

Isn't geocaching or "geocoining" a global activity?

Most important - as already said - that they look nice and are well minted. You should not care whether they are produced in US or elsewhere in the world.

Would you stop to purchase for example Nike products or many other well known American brands knowing that they are not domestically produced but in China, Taiwan, Korea, Thailand or elsewhere?

But ... this is an opinion from an "old" European country only :rolleyes:

Albatross1901

with the dutch geocoins, we did look for coin makers in the Netherlands, but the prices where very high.

For the die only we would already have to pay $850 for each side.

The costs for one coin would go up to about $20, and they couldn't number them, and coloring was not possible either.

Jep, the same in Germany...personal coins are at a very high price!

The price for one coin is easy the double........... :rolleyes:

Does this bother anyone? Should the seller tell the buyer if the coins are made over seas? Just asking for your opinion.

Get the best value and everything else will work out. Doesn't bother me a bit to buy a coin made in China or anywhere else. Anymore than it bothers me to drive past the car dealer in my home town to get a better deal in the next town.

China made means jobs sent to china though. USA means jobs kept here. I would rather pay a little more for USA made.

Paying an inefficient provider extra to make something that can be made more efficiently else where means fewer jobs for everyone. It is a falacy that buying foreign goods costs jobs. Trade creates jobs, for both sides. Buying something that costs more JUST because it's made in America is no better for the economy than cutting a Welfare Check is.

Isn't geocaching or "geocoining" a global activity?

Most important - as already said - that they look nice and are well minted. You should not care whether they are produced in US or elsewhere in the world.

Albatross1901

Ya hit this one right on the nose, Quality is Quality no matter where it comes from. I hear them Swiss folks make a real dandy watch. And I'm really a fan of BMWs and Audi or Peugeot. I'm sure some of their parts come from southeast Asia. Not really sure, but if I were to take a wild guess,I would bet some of the Swiss's ding dong comes from Hong Kong. :rolleyes:

You should not care whether they are produced in US or elsewhere in the world.

Thank you for telling us how we should think.

Personally, I try to avoid purchasing goods from China when there is a reasonable alternative, geocoins or otherwise. That's just my preference. I don't feel the need to debate or justify my actions here.

Now how do you guys feel about the Chinese geocoin being made in China...I just got the 25 I ordered in the mail today and they look great, but I'm worried that they might have really been made in Iowa... :rolleyes:

I don't want Chinese jobs stolen by Iowa sweat-shop workers... :blink:

Edited by NFA
Now how do you guys feel about the Chinese geocoin being made in China...I just got the 25 I ordered in the mail today and they look great, but I'm worried that they might have really been made in Iowa... :rolleyes:

I don't want to buy those! Unless they have own icon :D

:D Now that's funny, I don't care who ya are. :D Oh yeah, Thx, I just found out root beer REALLY burns when it comes outta my nose. :D

I would love to buy american made geocoins. but no one in america will make my for the price that someone in korea will.

Does anyone actually know someplace to get american made geocoins?

Hmm, will YOU work for the same wage as someone in Korea?? Then why would you expect the people making coins in the US to work for Korean wages?

While we here in America are debating where the geocoins should be made, much of the rest of the world is wishing they had half the disposable income we have as Americans. We are a rich, snobby country, and unless we are all willing to get rid of our 3 TV's 2 cars and 5 land phones to go along with our cell phones and $500 GPS units and work for $5 a day, then we should be happy that somewhere in the world our silly geocoin obsession is supplying food for some Chinaman's family

Now how do you guys feel about the Chinese geocoin being made in China...I just got the 25 I ordered in the mail today and they look great, but I'm worried that they might have really been made in Iowa... :D

I don't want Chinese jobs stolen by Iowa sweat-shop workers... :rolleyes:

:D Now that's funny, I don't care who ya are. :D Oh yeah, Thx, I just found out root beer REALLY burns when it comes outta my nose. :blink:

"That ain’t right, Lord I apologize for that right there and be with the starving pygmies down there in New Guinea there, Amen."

:D

Now how do you guys feel about the Chinese geocoin being made in China...I just got the 25 I ordered in the mail today and they look great, but I'm worried that they might have really been made in Iowa... :D

I don't want Chinese jobs stolen by Iowa sweat-shop workers... :D

:D Now that's funny, I don't care who ya are. :D Oh yeah, Thx, I just found out root beer REALLY burns when it comes outta my nose. :rolleyes:

"That ain’t right, Lord I apologize for that right there and be with the starving pygmies down there in New Guinea there, Amen."

:blink:

:D

"Git R Done", I just love Larry The Cable Guy!!!

First let me say I have nothing against 9Key, and the New Mexico coin is only being used as an example because he has already stated it was made overseas....

Hmmmmm

New Mexico coin, made overseas.... $7 +shipping

Alaska coin, minted in the United States..... $5 +shipping

Someone was saying American workers are overpriced?

Edited by audion64
First let me say I have nothing against 9Key, and the New Mexico coin is only being used as an example because he has already stated it was made overseas....

Hmmmmm

Add the trackable option, the size, and the color, not to mention the fact that there were more Alaska minted, your case doesn't hold up.

Hmmmmm

Add the trackable option, the size, and the color, not to mention the fact that there were more Alaska minted, your case doesn't hold up.

I don't remember if there was actual shipping from the AK mint. I know the cacher/designer actually visited the mint during the process though, so it is possible they were picked up.

Volume discounts make a huge difference, as does color. So yeah, it was an Apples -vs- Oranges comparison.

Most of the Geocoins I have bought had the little sticker "made in china" They look great. Even if they were made here, in the USA. It would be in a factor of mostly of illeagles. Pay them min. wages. So they can just send their money back home. What is the diffrence in that.