Tree Hiding

ccm352

My first thought was...put a blanket on the roof of your vehicle so the ladder doesn't scratch it :rolleyes: But more seriously, the cache should have a higher difficulty rating which poses the question, how in the heck am I gonna get that thing down? There is a thread out there somewhere discussing a micro hanging on the top of a street lamp on a busy downtown main street somewhere???

What would you people think if you found a cache that you needed to bring a dadgum ladder to get? Straight tree 15' u p and you had to figure out how to get it.

I don't see the problem. There are caches where you have to do rock climbing or scuba diving or spelunking. If you need a ladder then go get one or find some other creative way of retrieving the cache. Just be sure you can put it back where you found it and remember that "seeing" it isn't a find. You need to retrieve it, sign the log, and replace it in order to have a legitimate find. Happy caching. :rolleyes:

What would you people think if you found a cache that you needed to bring a dadgum ladder to get?

Is there a branch you can throw a rope over? You could climb that, especially if you had knots tied into the rope for gripping.

Just what I needed - something else to haul along while caching! :rolleyes:

As long as it said in the cache description that special equipment was required and the terrain rating reflected it, I don't see a problem with it. It would &!$$ me off to hike any kind of distance out into the middle of nowhere only to find that I didn't have the necessary equipment to retrieve the cache.

:P Just climb the tree. Come on folks, you call your self Geocachers. That is unless it has a nice protective wrap of Posion Ivy. It that case do what Treasure Hunters suggested, break out the chain saw. Then get the cache, sign the log, make trade, replace cache "up" the tree and go log it. What could be easier?????? lol. :D
:laughing: Just climb the tree. Come on folks, you call your self Geocachers. That is unless it has a nice protective wrap of Posion Ivy. It that case do what Treasure Hunters suggested, break out the chain saw. Then get the cache, sign the log, make trade, replace cache "up" the tree and go log it. What could be easier?????? lol. :anibad:

Some of us are middle aged, heavier and not so agile. I also don't like ones placed by taller people (I'm 5'4") with no regard for short people. :mad:

Take a step stool. There is one in our area that those who are 6 ft tall can reach but everyone else needs a ladder, step stool, bucket. Took someone to hint to everyone else it was up high before it got more than one find. Makes it a bit more exciting to sneak a steep stool in w/o muggles noticing since there is a busy hwy about 200 feet away or less.

Just climb the tree. Come on folks, you call your self Geocachers.

I am willing to climb (well, probably 10-15 feet high) ... IF I am sure that the structure/tree will bear my weight. Some hiders are skinny people that don't realise that a large proportion ( :anibad: ) of cachers weight more than 150 lbs. And so, maybe the branches on the tree you are supposed to climb to get to the cache are just not strong enough.

So, if you have to hide your cache up a tree, at least make sure that tree is tough enough not to get damaged by people climbing it. Or put a weight limit on the cache page :laughing:

Take a step stool.

I am not going to carry a step stool when I go hiking in the woods. Wouldn't really make the hike fun. I also don't believe that carrying a step stool in city parks is a good way to "not attract attention from people" (I'm not worried so much about looking crazy than about endangering the cache... some people don't care, I do).

I've also found quite a few caches that were just a bit too high for me to reach. In the woods, there usually is stuff around to pile up and climb on, or sticks to push the cache in and out of hiding. In most cases, the cache could have been hidden a bit lower without making it less interesting. In a very few cases, with "special" hiding spots, I can see the justification for the high hide. As long as the cache page warns me, I don't get mad.

As for the clever caches up a tree with a hiden string to lower them, those are just great!

I found a clever cache once where the cache was about 15 or 20 feet up a tree. To retrieve the cache you had to located a pair of sticks left nearby which had a length of string attached to tie them together and on the end of one of the sticks was a section of coathanger to nab the container. All the while I was working to retrieve this cache I had a strange feeling like I was probably being observed and notes taken, something like a chimp in a laboratory.

What would you people think if you found a cache that you needed to bring a dadgum ladder to get? Straight tree 15' u p and you had to figure out how to get it.

I don't see the problem. There are caches where you have to do rock climbing or scuba diving or spelunking. If you need a ladder then go get one or find some other creative way of retrieving the cache. Just be sure you can put it back where you found it and remember that "seeing" it isn't a find. You need to retrieve it, sign the log, and replace it in order to have a legitimate find. Happy caching. :blink:

Totally doable... However, the BIG thing here is that the cache description page should accurately list the Terrain rating as a 5, and should -- in my opinion at least -- adequately disclose the known dangers and what kind of equipment you might need to accomplish retrieval safely.

Take a step stool.

I am not going to carry a step stool when I go hiking in the woods. Wouldn't really make the hike fun. I also don't believe that carrying a step stool in city parks is a good way to "not attract attention from people" (I'm not worried so much about looking crazy than about endangering the cache... some people don't care, I do).

I've also found quite a few caches that were just a bit too high for me to reach. In the woods, there usually is stuff around to pile up and climb on, or sticks to push the cache in and out of hiding. In most cases, the cache could have been hidden a bit lower without making it less interesting. In a very few cases, with "special" hiding spots, I can see the justification for the high hide. As long as the cache page warns me, I don't get mad.

As for the clever caches up a tree with a hiden string to lower them, those are just great!

Guess it all depends on the time of day. I did mine at about dusk, nobody around on a chilly winter night. Cars were passing on the nearby road but I doubt anyone even saw me.

I tried a cache this fall that was about 60' up a tree. The cache was rated 4 for difficulty and 2 1/2 for terrain. It looked like easy climbing and a got about 15' up but as I was alone and the penalty for a mistake would have been severe.. I climbed back down. This one's at the top of my to do list for next spring. With my climbing rope some slings and a partner, I should be able to log it.

treecache3qm.jpg

Some of us are middle aged, heavier and not so agile. I also don't like ones placed by taller people (I'm 5'4")  with no regard for short people.  B)

I am also on the short side and I have half a dozen people who hide things HIGH just so as I have a hard time getting the cache.

No big deal, most of THEM are afraid of height's so I return the favor by placeing caches on the edges of cliffs where they have to hang their toes into space to find the cache. Looking down from a 100 plus foot cliff while trying to snag a cache makes the pucker factor go up a notch or two.

Fair is fair, Right?

Just find someway to return the "favor" and sit back and enjoy the dnf's.

Logscaler.

This cache is quite a ways up the tree and rated appropriately. Some complained so much that the original hiders pulled it. I reopened it because it was fun.

Recently, some whiner who couldn't/wouldn't climb up after it decided to exact revenge and broke off some branches, even cut one off with a saw. I have information that they have also complained to the parks people about it.

I recently placed a cache in a tree (20ft. up) that is a 2 ½ mile roundtrip hike from the nearest parking. I also left a “tool” nearby that can be used to retrieve & replace cache without breaking your neck. The F.T.F. sent his kid up the tree (I thought I picked a tree that was unclimbable). The second & third followed the instructions, found the tool and did the cache the way it was planned.

My first 5/5 was a multi where the first stage was a set of cords tied way up in a tree….this tree had no branches lower than 15ft and was not built for climbing. My first thought was to go home and grab a ladder or rope for another day. My partner, Sweetann had a better idea……..1/4 mile away was our truck with the ever present pair of binoculars, once we were back she was able to read the cords and off we went to the second stage.

Edited by calkids

I own two caches hidden 10 and 15 feet up trees, and I have found one 40 feet up a tree. At all three, you must climb the tree to get to the cache. No one has had a problem with any of them, because the terrain of them is appropriate. My two, (the 10 and the 15 ft. ones,) have terrain ratings of 4 stars, and the 40 ft one has a 4.5. As long as the terrain rating is correct, and lets the searcher know that it won't be easy to get to, it is fine.

:) Just climb the tree. Come on folks, you call your self Geocachers. That is unless it has a nice protective wrap of Posion Ivy. It that case do what Treasure Hunters suggested, break out the chain saw. Then get the cache, sign the log, make trade, replace cache "up" the tree and go log it. What could be easier?????? lol. :laughing:

Some of us are middle aged, heavier and not so agile. I also don't like ones placed by taller people (I'm 5'4") with no regard for short people. :)

Hmmmm.. Let's see, I'm 55 stand a whopping five foot six, so I am a short middle aged man, but since I'm an avid runner, I guess you could say I'm lean. Tree caches are not the most difficult I've done, a few terrestial caches have proved far harder and LOADS more dangerous. When we agree to this we sign that little disclaimer about taking this on our own and we assume all risks, so, I guess we all have to make a decision on our own abilities and if a cache is to hard move on to somethig a bit more to our liking. I personally find a little challenge more to my liking. And I have to confess that my most recent cache is in a tree, well two trees. You have to climb one, lean over and grab the cache from the other and then you have to extract yourself, quite literally and physically from the tree you had to climb. I've only recieved kudos for it.

:) Just climb the tree. Come on folks, you call your self Geocachers. That is unless it has a nice protective wrap of Posion Ivy. It that case do what Treasure Hunters suggested, break out the chain saw. Then get the cache, sign the log, make trade, replace cache "up" the tree and go log it. What could be easier?????? lol. :laughing:

Some of us are middle aged, heavier and not so agile. I also don't like ones placed by taller people (I'm 5'4") with no regard for short people. :)

Hmmmm.. Let's see, I'm 55 stand a whopping five foot six, so I am a short middle aged man, but since I'm an avid runner, I guess you could say I'm lean. Tree caches are not the most difficult I've done, a few terrestial caches have proved far harder and LOADS more dangerous. When we agree to this we sign that little disclaimer about taking this on our own and we assume all risks, so, I guess we all have to make a decision on our own abilities and if a cache is to hard move on to somethig a bit more to our liking. I personally find a little challenge more to my liking. And I have to confess that my most recent cache is in a tree, well two trees. You have to climb one, lean over and grab the cache from the other and then you have to extract yourself, quite literally and physically from the tree you had to climb. I've only recieved kudos for it.

Oh yeah. I was being facetious, or half way anyay in my first reply :)

Before everyone gets carried away, check out the logs and photos of Bridge, No Bridge in Memphis. This illustrates just how much fun this type of cache can be if properly planned and prepared by the hider, and correctly approached by the finder. It's certainly one of the two or three best caches I've attempted.

WOW! That looks AWESOME!!! I'm still waiting for a terrain 4 or 5 in my area, there was a tree hide placed just recently, I had a DNF on it the first time I searched, after reading previous logs it's pretty obvious it's a tree hide. It's rated 3.5 in terrain.

I'm starting to think I'll have to hide a 5/5 just to break the ice for them here in SW Mich. Only problem is finding an awesome spot like the cache in the quoted post above to hide one.

as for caches hidden up in trees, has anyone thought of grappling hooks and about 50 ft of rope....hhhhmmmm B)

Check this one out. It's up here in Ontario, Canada. Hook the rope with the forked stick, raise all into hole in tree and lower. Stick stays beside tied off rope, which is green....

inatree3.jpg

Been there....Spotted it from the ground, but DNF'd it because I'm fat and out of shape and couldn't get to it.

GCNHQZ

EDIT: Ok, that wasn't a straight tree with no limbs. But I've seen them up lightposts and things, so I don't see the problem.

Now wait a minute, Mr. Propers!!! I distinctly remember climbing a tree last fall to get one of your caches, lol...one of the Little Pigs, I believe it was? I say all's fair, get climbing :)

;) Just climb the tree. Come on folks, you call your self Geocachers. That is unless it has a nice protective wrap of Posion Ivy. It that case do what Treasure Hunters suggested, break out the chain saw. Then get the cache, sign the log, make trade, replace cache "up" the tree and go log it. What could be easier?????? lol. :)

guess you could say that you had 'logged' it as soon as the tree fell

I love caches hidden up in trees.

OK - I love hiding them there but that's beside the point.

I Placed one of those TODAY!!! It was so much fun, and interesting to see my wife pacing back and forth on the path below the cache furious I was placing a Trecache...