Project Ape

lathama

Its a shame I only need a APE cache for a full set of cache icons ...... Not that its about the Icons :) (its all about numbers)

Log an archived one as a find the owner is banned so they cant delete your log. :P

of course thats if your morals can stand the dilemma. :rolleyes:

Does anyone know which UK cacher placed the UK cache meridian snake ?

The UK cache was "10b Meridian Snake".  Its archived now but was just off the North Downs way and the B2024 near Chalk Lane Farm/Tatsfield Court Farm.  It disappeard between March 6th and March 9th 2002.  Last finder was LouiSearcher from The Netherlands.

I don't suppose there's any chance that we could reserect it by getting it unarchived and replacing it is there? It would be kinda nice to have a chance to get this logo as it is kinda cool (not that it's about the logos of course :rolleyes: )

Bambi.

From what i can remember, there used to be 9 parts to the Project with 7 of them being in the states and 2 in europe. I think one of those 2 were here in the UK. Does it still exist?

What a coincidence, I was thinking that just the other day, but hadn't got around to searching / asking the forum.

I don't suppose there's any chance that we could reserect it by getting it unarchived and replacing it is there?  It would be kinda nice to have a chance to get this logo as it is kinda cool (not that it's about the logos of course  :rolleyes: )

Bambi.

That's a good idea. We'd have to ask the approvers/reviewers nicely to unarchive it and put it up for adoption, and find a cacher close enough to maintain it. Any takers?

Edited by NickPick
That's a good idea.  We'd have to ask the approvers/reviewers nicely to unarchive it and put it up for adoption, and find a cacher close enough to maintain it.  Any takers?

I'd do it, but it's too far away for us to maintain really. In case anyone wants to know more about it though, check out the cache page - it's near Reigate...

I'm happy to help in any way I can though, but first I guess we need to know what the reviewers' opinion is - What do you think guys?

Bambi.

Surprised they took it out of the Grandfathered cache types list...

http://www.geocaching.com/about/cache_types.aspx

They look pretty wicked though, shame it was before my time....the UK cache last got found only about 3 weeks after my caching days had begun, if only I wasn't so crud at it back then I might have gone and found it! I wonder where it is now though, I reckon someone nicked it and kept it.... bet its on someones fireplace!

Shocker.

Has anyone revisited the site of meridian snake the last person may of made a mistake when searching the brazilian had co ords slightly out :)

Looking at the web page, LazyLeopard seems pretty certain it's gone.

They found the cache 9/11/01 and visited again 9/2/02 to drop stuff off.

The last time it was found was 6/3/02 by LouiSearcher.

The DNF was posted by Clogger, but looking at their profile, it appears that it was only their 4th attempt at a cache.

LazyLeopard has checked twice since, 13th March & 7th June, but had no luck finding the cache. :mad:

Sounds like we need a volunteer to go and check (just in case something was missed :lol: )

The cache box was big enough that we could have left a child. - if anyone tells me how to do it I'll upload a photo

Well... the best method is the "two person drop". Let's call them person (a) and person (:D. Person (a) holds the cache lid open while person (:D catches the child and dangles him/her by the ankles. On an agreed signal, the word "NOW!" can be used, person (:D releases his/her grip on the child ankles. Gravity takes over for a split second and if person (a) gets his or her timing right, they can shut the lid before the child wriggles free.

So, about this photo?

We did the one in the States - a few hours drive from Seattle. You have to do a couple of mile walk/ cycle through a tunnel.

The cache box was big enough that we could have left a child. - if anyone tells me how to do it I'll upload a photo

Best way is to upload it to your gallery. Click on the image - this will give you the web address of the photo.

Copy it and use that address when you insert image on the forum.

We did the one in the States - a few hours drive from Seattle. You have to do a couple of mile walk/ cycle through a tunnel.

Best way is to upload it to your gallery. Click on the image - this will give you the web address of the photo.

Copy it and use that address when you insert image on the forum.

...and just to explain the bit of actually putting the photo into your forum post:

Open up the 'Reply' box. Click on the tiny square icon of a tree. That will open up the little box where you paste in the web address (the URL) of your photograph. Then click OK and the link will be put into your post. (Hopefully! Check by clicking the 'Preview Post' button before you click 'Add Reply')

Hope that helps too :D

MrsB

I think Deego's right, as they were commercial caches. There may be no reason why another cache couldn't be placed at the same spot, or nearby, but it's not going to get the icon.

GCTK7X:Meridian Snake: The Project A.P.E. project is exactly this: it's nearby, it's APE themed, it's the biggest ammo box wot I ever did see ... and is an ordinary icon.

;) I'd quite like to get an APE icon, and eventually the full icon set.

There are only 2 original APE caches left, so looks like I'm off to to the american colonies in 2009.

I have 10 icons bagged - APE, Mega, GPS Adventures, and Wherigo to go. :santa:

I think Deego's right, as they were commercial caches. There may be no reason why another cache couldn't be placed at the same spot, or nearby, but it's not going to get the icon.

GCTK7X:Meridian Snake: The Project A.P.E. project is exactly this: it's nearby, it's APE themed, it's the biggest ammo box wot I ever did see ... and is an ordinary icon.

It looks local enough: only a couple of hundred miles away. ;)

I'll pop by on Friday lunchtime and see if I can find it. Then I'll have 2 "APE" caches!

Edited by Happy Humphrey

;) I'd quite like to get an APE icon, and eventually the full icon set.

There are only 2 original APE caches left, so looks like I'm off to to the american colonies in 2009.

I have 10 icons bagged - APE, Mega, GPS Adventures, and Wherigo to go. :santa:

Whilst you're doing the APE cache, you might as well do the GPS Adventures which will be at the Paific Science Center in Seattle from March 28 - May 4, 2009... :santa:

It will be rude not to! Thanks for the tip.

I'll be on the look out for Garmin map source world map to help my Vista on travels - although I could do with an upgrade to a driving sat nav knowing my sense of direction, especially in a foreign country who's strange inhabitants drive on the wrong side of the road.

[/quote

whilst in seattle we contacted Groundspeak, and arranged to call in. It was interesting to see HQ plus it is a loggable cache.