Ontario Geocoin

GA Cacher

Hello,

Even though I live in Georgia, I am from Dundas ON and my family still lives in Grand Bend. I am a member of the Ontario Geocaching Assn.

I have been following the BC Cachers to see them work on a design and an Ontario Coin came to mind.

That out of the way I wanted to post a question to the group.

IF a Ontario Geoccoin were produced what should be on it to represent Ontario?

Well the trillium of course maybe Niagra Falls or Parliment hill?

What would you say will jump out and showcase Ontario?

Maple leaf, RCMP the flag or provincial logo?

Please give me your ideas.

Just to let you know our Graphic Artist and geocacher lives in Ottawa.

Here are 3 coins we have produced in the last 8 months in case you haven't seen them.

The 2005 Georgia Geocoin we produced. This was not trackable on GC.com.

The 2006 Georgia Geocoin trackable on GC.com with a Peach icon.

The Limited Edition GA Peach 2006 Coin Trackable on GC.com with a peach icon.

Thanks for any or all ideas or views.

GA Cacher

Edited by GA Cacher

How about an outline of the province of Ontario that is so large that it's pushing out all the other provinces and territories of Canada? Or a map of Canada that's just labelled ONTARIO.

:ph34r:

Too Funny.

I don't like anything political like parliament hill (it would just serve to stoke the strange insecurities of those west of Ontario). A police force like the mounties is also not related to geocaching, and is a Canadian icon, not an Ontario specific one (and as such would probably also stoke the inexplicable insecurities of geocachers west of Ontario).

The Loon is Ontario's provincial bird and a symbol of the wilderness. I also like the trillium, and both could be incorporated in the design.

I have to admit that a Loon and a Trillium come to mind.

The other thing I think may be appropriate would be a "Muskoka Style" windswept white pine.

They have always been one of my favorite symbols of central and northern ontario.

Seems hard to encompass all of ontario into a few simple icons. Great idea though, I know I would be in for some Ontario coins.

How about an outline of the province of Ontario that is so large that it's pushing out all the other provinces and territories of Canada? Or a map of Canada that's just labelled ONTARIO.

:ph34r:

No the map of Ontario's southern end would end at Chatham. They done that before.

But seriously, the trilium is the cliche Ontario symbol. Maybe we need to ask Americans for an answer. Otherwise we'll get every region asking for their regional symbol. ie Niagara Falls, Toronto waterfront, windswept pines, etc.

Wulf

But seriously, the trilium is the cliche Ontario symbol. Maybe we need to ask Americans for an answer. Otherwise we'll get every region asking for their regional symbol. ie Niagara Falls, Toronto waterfront, windswept pines, etc.

Wulf

"But seriously, the trilium is the cliche Ontario symbol."

True but those iconiclastic items stand out to remind people of an area.

Maybe we need to ask Americans for an answer."

Heck thay have no idea what happens in Canada. A Maple Leaf, the RCMP "Mountie" in the red coat and Crown Royal are they icons of Canada to most of my friends here. Most think that Horseshoe Falls is the only fall and it is in the US.

Otherwise we'll get every region asking for their regional symbol. ie Niagara Falls, Toronto waterfront, windswept pines, etc.

I agree that is one eason we ( The Ga Coin Group) planned to do a coin a year for 5 years. Each one showing a different part of GA.

Thanks for the idea and thoughts.

The trillium is an appropriate symbol that has not been reduced to some tacky tourist trade yet. It's the official provincial flower.

The CN Tower is not really Ontario, it's Toronto. Niagara Falls isn't Ontario, it's Niagara.

<rant>

And Dogbreathcanada, keep your comments to yourself if you're just going to use this thread as Ontario/Toronto bashing. That is what really ticks me off about this country sometimes - I'll be amazed if it actually keeps itself together for another 125 years the way we carry on. We're a country of spoiled brats that would rather argue about semantics than actually attempt something productive and beneficial to our fellow Canadians.

So far, I have yet to see the BC bashing in the British Columbia geocoin thread, and I hope it stays that way.

</rant>

As for the Ontario geocoin design, I'm happy someone's considering getting one made.

We may want a design that also features the sheer amount of lakes and forests the province has - perhaps a loon on a lake (Algonquin style) or a traveller in a canoe. The province owes a lot of it's history to the fur trade, and the canoe routes to the west (ie French River).

Perhaps something like a scene with the lake in the front, a forest and a city in the distance? (the CN tower could show up waaaaay in the background there if we want to see it on the coin.)

Well, that's my thoughts so far on the coin. Will this one get us an icon on our geocaching.com profile page?

<rant>

And Dogbreathcanada, keep your comments to yourself if you're just going to use this thread as Ontario/Toronto bashing. That is what really ticks me off about this country sometimes - I'll be amazed if it actually keeps itself together for another 125 years the way we carry on. We're a country of spoiled brats that would rather argue about semantics than actually attempt something productive and beneficial to our fellow Canadians.

So far, I have yet to see the BC bashing in the British Columbia geocoin thread, and I hope it stays that way.

</rant>

Not bashing. Just kidding around. I grew up in Ontario. Mississauga. And spent many summers and winters north of Sudbury at the camp.

The trillium is an appropriate symbol that has not been reduced to some tacky tourist trade yet. It's the official provincial flower.

The CN Tower is not really Ontario, it's Toronto. Niagara Falls isn't Ontario, it's Niagara.

As for the Ontario geocoin design, I'm happy someone's considering getting one made.

We may want a design that also features the sheer amount of lakes and forests the province has - perhaps a loon on a lake (Algonquin style) or a traveller in a canoe. The province owes a lot of it's history to the fur trade, and the canoe routes to the west (ie French River).

Perhaps something like a scene with the lake in the front, a forest and a city in the distance? (the CN tower could show up waaaaay in the background there if we want to see it on the coin.)

Well, that's my thoughts so far on the coin. Will this one get us an icon on our geocaching.com profile page?

Many thanks for your views.

Any coin you do will not appeal to all but we are asking for the valued input.

"Well, that's my thoughts so far on the coin. Will this one get us an icon on our geocaching.com profile page?"

YES.

As the exchange rate is so different I am concerened for the value fo the money in CDN$

Well GA Cacher, my 2 cents worth goes along the lines of everything that has already been said. We should try for something that represents the majority of the Province, unless it will be a series to reflect on several areas (CN Tower, Niagara Falls, Welland Canal, Algonquin Park, Parliament Buildings, etc.)

My only concern with the Trillium is that the MIGO Spring features that one prominently. I think that the Ontario coin would need to ensure that the graphics were different. Perhaps the entire plant instead of just the flower.

The loon sounds like a good idea as well. I like the idea of a lake scene ... thousands of lakes ... the lake in the front, with a pair of loons and a forest behind ... could be real nice :rolleyes:

As I said, just my 2 cents ...

JWID

Two more cents and we may have enough for a Canadian Looney -- 48 cents short of an American buck.

A number of good suggestions have already been presented, however here is the official list of Ontario's symbols...

-- Provincial tartan: Official Tartan of Ontario (http://www.gov.on.ca/mbs/english/about/emblems_symbols/emblems.html#Tartan)

-- Provincial flower: White trillium, Trillium grandiflorum

-- Provincial bird: Common Loon, Gavia immer

-- Provincial tree: Eastern White Pine, Pinus strobus

-- Provincial mineral: Amethyst

-- Provincial motto: Ut incepit fidelis sic permanet (Loyal she began, loyal she remains)

-- Provincial symbol: Trillium flower

-- Provincial Coat of Arms: A sprig of three maple leaves appear on the shield of Ontario’s coat of arms. The shield is supported by a moose and a “Canadian deer,” or white-tailed deer. A black bear appears above the shield. (http://www.kids.premier.gov.on.ca/english/tourqueen/symbols.asp)

The Loon is also the official bird of Minnesota so if we are going to use it -- lets get it on our Geocoin before the Minnesota cachers do.

Clearly, we have the opportunity to place a number these symbols on both sides of the coin. The problem will be to do it with or without a map of Ontario using a forest/lake scene and the Geocache logo.

I'm no artist, but I'm sure these symbols can be utilitzed in a beautiful wilderness scene.

Maybe we should use some of the other "not so recognized" symbols -- let people know..... we know.

I think the two sides can be utilized for wilderness and urban symbols

-- wilderness -- animals, birds, etc.

-- urban -- CN Tower, Niagara Falls, Welland Canal/ship coming out of a lock

The REAL problem will be... on which side to place the Geocache logo -- lol.

Maybe have half on one side and half on the other -- as if the Geocache logo is wrapped around the edge of the coin.-- representing both wilderness and urban.

Edited by P38manCdn

Ok so I was joking earlier but here is my serious idea;

One side you have a outline of Ontario with the Geocaching symbol in the middle and a tracking number below it. On the other side you have a lake with a loon in it and on the backside of the lake you have pines trees on a rolling hillside and in the foreground of the lake you have a trillium. I’ll make a drawing and post it later.

Edited by Utsman

Ok I came up with a drawing for one side tell me what you think. Any suggestions are welcome. Will start working on side two. *** Removed a certain logo so I dont get sued :rolleyes: will be putting something else in the middle of Ontario. *** I have added the other side but am stuck I have no idea of what to put in that open space any ideas?

sidetwo.gif

sideone.gif

Edited by Utsman
Good, Utsman, except you'll have to lose the geocaching.com logo. You can't use it without Groundspeak permission.

Oh yeah....i'll be making a few snips then lol

We have a good relationship with Groundspeak and have had no problem getting permission in the past. BTW the coin that we make will be trackable on GC.com. So the numbering would be ON00000 and the words "Trackable at www.geocaching,com" must be on the coin.

Nice design.

I always liked the phrase " Yours to Discover" that was on the Ontario Auto Tags.

"Anyway, since Ontario uses the motto "Sportsman's Paradise", plus the affinity of putting wildlife onto Canadian coins, I would recommend working off of that theme."

Wulf

Hey, I appreciate you resubmitting my idea from the Midwest forum, although an acknowledgement of my contribution would be appreciated. See here for the original source.

Taking a look at some of the (serious) ideas mentioned, it looks like the Ontario Geocoin is off to a good start.

The other Ontario licence plate motto was -- Keep it Clean.

Maybe both are good for us -- Cache in, trach out  -- one motto for each side of the coin.

er... "Keep It Beautiful"

As a bit of plate trivia...

The "Keep It Beautiful" slogan was used from 1973 to June 1982.

In 1982 the slogan was changed to "Yours To Discover"

Prior to 1973 the plates were without slogan, only indicating the plate year and province.

<_< -TT-

Utsman, you had mentioned a side of the coin that hadn't been posted yet. You had said that it has a lake with a loon in it.

Is it ready to be posted yet? That's the side that sounds most intriguing and seems to have stirred the most debate. :o

Thanks.

Jeff

I like that "Yours to Discover" could be on it... I think that is a great notion on our licence plates and fits the Geocaching here too.

But if it is copyrighted by the Government of Ontario (I don't know if it is)

"Yours to Discover... through Geocaching"

As for an Icon.

Boy that's tough since the OGA Logo has both the outline of the province and the Trillium on it.

I assume Trimbles Trek picked those in his design due to their obvious connection to Ontario, and it is difficult to think of something uniquely Ontarian

Speaking for myself... I don't think that the OGA logo should be on the coin. We would contract one from GA Cacher ourselves as it would be innapropriate to push our logo on non OGA Cachers.

I think the suggested/created image by UTSMAN is great.

:rolleyes: The Blue Quasar

I just checked the Canadian Trade-Marks database TM database

And I found out that "Yours to discover" is not actually a registered trade-mark. It was advertised as one back in 1990, but they never went through with the rest of the process to register it. So it seems anyone is free to use it.

There are a few trademarked logos including that sentence, but to infringe the trademark you'd have to use the logo (including graphic aspects), not only the sentence.

By the way, you can't usually get a copyright on a sentence.

Edited by The red-haired witch
When can we order them?

The design has sbeen approved by Groundspeak, the tracking #'s are ordered with the prefix ONXXXX.

We are about to give the OK to our producer.

We will have a price point in a few days and also how to order set up then. One of our group of 4 had a death in the family. He is out in Texas for his grandmothers funeral this week. As you know next week in Thanksgiving in the states so bear with us please.

We will have further updates posted to the page and at our web site www.travelbugracer.com

We will also post here. You can contact us at

ontariogeocoin@gmailDOTcom