Finds-to-days-caching Ratio

greengenes

I'd like to see a Find-Per-Day stat on my (and other members) stat page.

For instance, I've been a member of Geocaching.com for 309 days and I've found 165 caches in that time. So my "FPD" would be 0.533 (or just .53)

This may have already come up in the forums but I didn't see anything upon my first search.

Any thoughts?

(PS: This is obviously just one more piece of data for my always-wants-to-know-barely-useful-info brain of mine. That's why I have a GPSr in the first place :huh:

FYI: Here are the top 5 Geocachers in the world Finds/Day stats:

# Finds Days Finds/Day Joined   ST Name
- ----- ---- --------- -------- -- ----
1 11963 1625    7.36   05/26/01 PA CCCooperAgency
2 10387 1106    9.39   10/27/02 CA TeamAlamo 
3  6903 1517    4.55   09/11/01 CA ventura_kids
4  6742  896    7.52   05/25/03 CA EMC of Northridge, CA
5  6523 1474    4.43   10/24/01 TN Southpaw

I have a measely 878 Finds in 880 days or 1.00 Finds Per Day.

I don't know if this makes it a issue or not, but I think there would be extreme variation in the stats that don't really reflect the degree people want to cache.

I would love to have a .5 find-to-days ratio, but work and small kids probably would make it more like a .05 or even a .005 depending on weather or other factors (I would've loved to go last Sunday when it was warm and sunny out, but had a wedding to go to, and of course now we're on Standard Time and it's dark in the Northeast by 5pm). I know that my out-of-town brother-in-law who introduced me to caching has only about as few finds as I (around 12, though his aren't as loaded with "locationless" as much as mine are, I have 5 "cache" finds), and he's been a member caching for a few years, you can start to see a slowdown after his boys were born in 2002 that increases after his daugther was born in Dec 2004. He also hasn't logged anything since we visited him in August and went caching, probably for similar reasons.

This doesn't mean he is any less eager to cache (he probably is more than I and would have a ratio of 1 or greater if his situation provided the opportunity) than those folks with say 2000 caches whose ratio is >1/day who also have the time and means to go around the US/world caching.

Edited by hairymon

I'm just saying that this would make it easier to determine who the really bad human beings are (<1 CPD) and who the truly great human beings are (>1 CPD)

kidding.

It's not a stat to berate people by or make one feel like less of a cacher. If that were so, I wouldn't want to see my own. It's a personal record, like your number of finds. Just in more detail.

And yes, we've ALL been caching in groups. :D

While I'm at it, what about these stats:

MTC (or KTC) - Miles (or Kilometers) Traveled Caching: A calculation of the distance between every cache you've found (or DNF) starting from your first and going in order (instead of leaving/taking a personal travel bug)

CDS - Cache difficulty Sum : The sum of all of your find's difficulty ratings combined.

CTS - Cache Terrain Sum : Guess what this would be.

CDA - Cache Difficulty Average : If I've found 50 D:5's and 50 D:1's my CDA would be 3.0

CTA - Same as above but for Terrain

TBEWC - Thorn Bush Escapes While Caching

Maybe I'll stop here.

that seems a much more competitive statistic than the finds numbers already available...it's a simple thing to figure out...so let those who want to do it on their own...

just my $0.02

Maybe just a stat of "Days Caching" then. That's the part that hurts my brain to figure out...

This is a very interesting statistic. I think mine is just under 2 per day.

However, I am still in favor of the fun meter.

Some caching days I find 1 cache, and as high as 58. They were both fun for different reasons.

Other have mentioned that work and family tend to interfere. Some of us don't live in cache dense areas and we have to travel hundreds of miles to get to an area that has several caches.

Although I do think they are interseting, instead of focusing on competive statistics I focus on my internal fun meter. And I think I am having more fun than any of you folks out there. :D

If a stat like this is to be implemented, I prefer it to be PRIVATE and not be visible to other members. If people wish, they can share that information in the forums or in person.

Why encourage people wasting too much time clicking on other people's profiles when they can be outdoors finding caches? :D

In August after reaching my 2005 goal of 365 caches in 2005 for a Cache Per Day find rate of 1.000, I set my goal for 2006 to reach a cpd of 0.900. I'm currently setting at 0.759. It doesn't sound like much of a difference between 0.759 and 0.900, but when you consider that I've been cache since February 2002, it takes a lot to move up. To reach the 0.900 level by the end of 2006, I will have to average 43 caches per month for the next 14 months. To reach the solid 1.000 caches per day, I would have to find about 56 caches per month. My cache page shows my progress towards my cpd rate. :D

My current favorite statistic is the Average Caching Velocity (ACV), which is the Total Caching Distance (referred to earlier as Miles Traveled Caching) divided by hours since you started caching.

Mine is 7.8 mph. In other words, since I started caching, I have, on average, been moving at almost 8 mph towards my next cache find.

:D

Yes, it's silly. But it's sure a lot more fun than caching number statistics, which I abhor.

My current favorite statistic is the Average Caching Velocity (ACV), which is the Total Caching Distance (referred to earlier as Miles Traveled Caching) divided by hours since you started caching.

Mine is 7.8 mph. In other words, since I started caching, I have, on average, been moving at almost 8 mph towards my next cache find.

:D

Yes, it's silly. But it's sure a lot more fun than caching number statistics, which I abhor.

I would like to see that applied to travel bugs. (like the WG$)

If a stat like this is to be implemented, I prefer it to be PRIVATE and not be visible to other members. If people wish, they can share that information in the forums or in person.

Why encourage people wasting too much time clicking on other people's profiles when they can be outdoors finding caches? :ph34r:

I had that same thought while driving home earlier. It could be privately viewed on your members page. But either way, it seems the people have spoken. No more numbers stats.

Not to mention that there are typically only 20-30 people that comment on a given subject in the forums. Maybe 50 people on a really hot subject. Compare that to the 22,574 users who posted logs in the last 7 days, and you can see that the forums are nowhere close to a representative sample of users.

I'd like to see a Find-Per-Day stat on my (and other members) stat page.

For instance, I've been a member of Geocaching.com for 309 days and I've found 165 caches in that time. So my "FPD" would be 0.533 (or just .53)

Piece of cake.

findsperday.png

Here's a link to the page for the Greasemonkey Script. You'll need to be using Firefox, with the Greasemonkey extension, of course, but all the cool people already do that. :ph34r:

The statics will show up whenever you're listing either all your logs, or all your finds. Otherwise, the page will look just like normal. The new stats won't appear until the page has completed loading.

It basically counts up all your finds, determines the number of days between your first find and today, and shows the ratio out to 4 places.

This can be off just a little, because prior to the Attented Event log types, events were logged like cache finds, so those early ones will be included.

I'm at 1.12 Caches Per Day. I've also had .15 DNF's Per Day since I started. Total Caching Distance is 1286 miles (that includes trips to/from distant areas for the purpose of finding caches), and Average Caching Velocity is 7.8MPH.

Being a sports stat geek and a coder, I'm all for whatever weird stats people come up with. How about Average TB Distance (while in one's possession)?

For someone that didn't jump into Geocaching with both feet at the beginning, a FPD wouldn't mean much. I started Sept 21, 2003 and had 2 months, 4 months, etc. between searches, let alone finds. That really messes up the average.

Then there are those days when you plan to look for 10 and end up looking for 4, and finding 2.

459 found. 0.58997 FPD. :rolleyes:

Edited by PastorDIC