Appropriate For A Cache Container?

HugoBear

Lately everything I see is an opportunity for a cache container. The latest thing I have considered is an empty pill bottle. Plastic, excellent weather seal, small... but would someone get bothered finding this in a cache location? Assume that it will get unlabeled and camo'ed.

Is this an OK idea or no?

I think we have found three pill bottle caches. Two were hidden in dry locations but the third's contents had definitely seen better days. Perhaps you should place the bottle in the sink in water to see how water proof it will be. Personally we don't have a problem finding a pill bottle cache so long as we don't to pull the cotton out too :ninja:

Others may have differing opinions though.

I've used pill bottles before (in fact, I have quite a few of them sitting in my "cache box" at home) and have seen many other cachers use pill bottles too.

They seem to keep the water out fairly well if hidden upright in an area not likely to get too wet, but they are certainly not waterproof. For that reason, I do prefer using waterproof matchstick holders when I need a cache of approximately pill-bottle size. Those seem to hold up better against the elements and can be purchased quite cheaply.

The best "Altoid" caches I ever saw were stuck to the bottom of a metal step/drain culvert/picnic table... They're out of the elements and slim enough to blend into the background.

BTW, thanks for the positive feedback on the pill bottles. I'll defenitely sink test them before I go out and bury... er... hide the buggers.

Vile, vicious cache: Use a brace and bit to bore a 1" hole in a dead limb. Insert pill bottle with bark glued to cap.

Await DNFs and curses.

:rolleyes:

I had to check to make sure you weren't from Kentucky... A friend of mine and I went there for a caching trip and found a cache just like that. It was called "Micro in the Woods", and was just that. It took us 2 trips and a hint from the owner, but we finally found it. It was even my 500th find milestone. :P Oh, did I mention you had to climb up the tree a few feet to get it?

The pill bottles I'm talking about are round plastic 2" x 4". More like a vitamin bottle than a regular pill bottle. I have mail order pharmacy coverage so everything shows up in a bigger container than it really needs to have. So far the sink testing has shown them to be water resistant, if not waterproof. I don't know how to test if humidity can foul them... any ideas?

The pill bottles I'm talking about are round plastic 2" x 4". More like a vitamin bottle than a regular pill bottle. I have mail order pharmacy coverage so everything shows up in a bigger container than it really needs to have. So far the sink testing has shown them to be water resistant, if not waterproof. I don't know how to test if humidity can foul them... any ideas?

Hmmm... you could always save the pill bottle silica gel packs :rolleyes:

But seriously, no idea on testing them in humid conditions. Well... know anybody that keep reptiles? You could have them pop it in the vivarium for a few weeks :P

Pill bottles and lots of other "sealed" containers get wet inside. It's called condensation and it happens when the container gets a different temp than it's surroundings..... like when the sun shines on it. Waterproof paper and a pencil work the absolute best under these conditions. If it's hanging then go ahead and drill a small drain hole in the bottom to let the water out.

I recently retrieved an underwater cache only to find it filled with water .... but it had waterproof paper and a pencil .... so it was no problem to sign the log and replace the container.

ANY container that can hold a log sheet is appropriate .... the more unusual, the better! :rolleyes: ImpalaBob