Map Editing Software

I ran into a problem trying to insert things on a map, ended up using image editing software on a jpg of the map, anybody know of a free or at least cheap map editor

that allows the user to input data on the actual map file? For example I need to place a 1300 foot circle on a map with concentric circles about every 160 feet going to the center. (a center pivot irrigation system) but no image editor that I know of will allow anything close to an accurate scaled, but I can do it in my cad program but it dosen't support the map files. any ideas?

I use CAD for my survey, GPS, and GIS work. I use Autodesk Land Desktop 2004. It supports .tiff and .sid image files and uses projections, such as State Plane, NAD83, and I have free access to GIS aerial orthophotos.

If you can convert your .jpg to a .tiff or .sid yours may let you do what you want.

Edit to add: a GIS software program would be the ticket if you have the budget, if this is business or work related. ESRI ArcView or MapInfo desktop mapping are two such programs but cost about $1,500.

Edited by Timpat