Your First Geocoin Ever

Son of Cyclops

Same here, GOWT coin, I had something like numbers 25-56.  Still have most of them, dummy here activated every one of them! :D

Did you know there was a GOWT coin before there was a GOWT?  We actually formed the group AFTER the coin was minted (single-handedly by our current Treasurer).

I never activate my coins I was tempted to when I first got it because it was in the lower 10 wont say the exact number :D but I just kept it in my binder.

That is interesting though about the GOWT coin comming out before there was a GOWT

Edited by Mystery Ink

Technically, Moun10Bike Geocoin #001. The first one I added after that, though, was a DHobby version 1 - he gave me #001 after my order for Moun10Bike Geocoins #101-200 arrived at his house and vice versa. (Yes, he is a very nice guy!)

The first geocoin I found in a cache was a Green Man geocoin, of which many were placed in caches set as part of "The Search."

• Upvote 1
Technically, Moun10Bike Geocoin #001. The first one I added after that, though, was a DHobby version 1 - he gave me #001 after my order for Moun10Bike Geocoins #101-200 arrived at his house and vice versa. (Yes, he is a very nice guy!)

The first geocoin I found in a cache was a Green Man geocoin, of which many were placed in caches set as part of "The Search."

This actually an interesting story that Dhobby1 has told me. I have a question, there is much talk about the very first geocoin. Both the Moun10bike and the Dhobby1 coin where being minted at the same time in fact he asked permission from you to use the back. How many days after you realeased yours did he release his?

Is it fair to say if he held onto your package that he could have been the one to release the first Geocoin :D ?

What an awesome friendship you two have formed by a simple mistake in shipping. And indeed he is a great person!!

First geocoin ever? Ah that would have to be an original Moun10Bike wooden nickel - found in the nifty "Sparky" cache about a year ago when I was but a noobie with 19 finds. And just this week, I was blessed with a gift from the tricycle lad himself - of a WONDROUS v. 3 Moun10Bike dubloon that I shall forever treasure.

Nonetheless, nothing will likely ever surpass the thrill of first spying that suh-weet wooden nickel in "Sparky".

Yes my First Geocoin was Moun10Bike's #200 coin. Couldn't believe it when I received all of Jon's Moun10Bikes coin on my front step. I got a hold of Jon and asked what coin would you like me to have out of the 200, he said Don you can have any coin you would like. Just get those coin on their way to me!!!!

:lol::ninja::D

Yes my First Geocoin was Moun10Bike's #200 coin. Couldn't believe it when I received all of Jon's Moun10Bikes coin on my front step. I got a hold of Jon and asked what coin would you like me to have out of the 200, he said Don you can have any coin you would like. Just get those coin on their way to me!!!!

:lol::ninja::D

How did you end up getting them by mistake? I don't know the full story.

Technically, Moun10Bike Geocoin #001.  The first one I added after that, though, was a DHobby version 1 - he gave me #001 after my order for Moun10Bike Geocoins #101-200 arrived at his house and vice versa. (Yes, he is a very nice guy!)

This actually an interesting story that Dhobby1 has told me. I have a question, there is much talk about the very first geocoin. Both the Moun10bike and the Dhobby1 coin where being minted at the same time in fact he asked permission from you to use the back. How many days after you realeased yours did he release his?

Is it fair to say if he held onto your package that he could have been the one to release the first Geocoin :ninja: ?

What an awesome friendship you two have formed by a simple mistake in shipping. And indeed he is a great person!!

Since the package Dhobby got was starting with #101, I think Moun10bike had him beat by several months or more as he had already gone through 100 coins.

Technically, Moun10Bike Geocoin #001.  The first one I added after that, though, was a DHobby version 1 - he gave me #001 after my order for Moun10Bike Geocoins #101-200 arrived at his house and vice versa. (Yes, he is a very nice guy!)

Is it fair to say if he held onto your package that he could have been the one to release the first Geocoin :lol: ?

Since the package Dhobby got was starting with #101, I think Moun10bike had him beat by several months or more as he had already gone through 100 coins.

:D I guess I overlooked the numbering part of the story :ninja: .

:D:lol::ninja:

Don - I had no idea how closely related the two coins are. That explains the similarity of the front and the identical-ness of the back! I have #195 of Jon's and #159 of yours. Kinda fun that the numbers are the same, but jumbled. Fits the history quite nicely - kinda. :)

My 1st Coin was actually found in a cache.....1 of the 200 un-numbered 2003 Oregon Coins. I would not trade it for anything.

My first coin was also found in a cache and it was also an un-numbered 2003 Oregon geocoin. The first coin I ever bought was the 2004 .999 Silver USA geocoin and it snowballed from there. Sigh. :ninja:

The first coin I found in a cache was a Canada Geocoin.

The first coin that I actually kept (and is still in my collection) was a V1 moun10bike wooden nickel with a single digit number on the back in his handwriting. The cache had been muggled and all I found was the pencil, broken container and the wooden nickel.

If I'm not mistaken I beleive I found a Joy of Geocaching geocoin back in 2002 when I first started caching back in CA. Thought it was cool and placed it in the next cache I did and never thought twice about again. Then I moved to WA and hmmm...who is this Moun10Bike feller everybody's talken' about up here. Did some research and and saw he had a coin I thought cool, I'll have to try and get one. A year later things started changing and now well the rest is history...

Pepper