Garmin Gps12

Have a Garmin GPS12 with the latest fireware installed. Great unit, but the only thing I would like to change would be the units would change to feet under 0.01 miles. We use this primarily for geocaching and once under 0.01 miles it becomes more difficult. Other Garmin GPS change from miles to ft, but this one does not. Does anybody know of a way to have it go to feet? Has anyone tried to write their own software?

Thanks in advance.

I cached with a 12 for a while. It gets great reception and is built like a rock, so it can take lots of abuse. The only thing I didn't like was the .01 mile "resolution" on the compass page. Back when selective availability was turned on, 52 feet was about all you could expect for accuracy, so i guess it didn't matter then.

No firmware hacks are available that I am aware of. When I cached with the 12, after I got to within .01 miles, I switched to the sattelite page and looked at my coordinates. Then I walked until the coordinates on the GPSr matched those of the cache. Not elegant but it worked. The EPE was normally pretty good. I usually found myself with 20 feet or so of the cache.

I have an old garmin 12 and wouldn't trade it for the world. I know my target will fall within a 50' diameter circle centered on where the unit sends me, assuming I'm using the same datum used to produce the target location.

ps I don't think they still sell the 12, but if they do I'd recommend it to anyone as a cheap yet highly effective unit. BTW .01 mi. = about 53' or about 18 paces.

Edited by TaylorGinther

i found that changing the units to metric put me closer than statute measurement on the 12. 10 meters (just over 30 feet) is closer than .01 miles (52.8 ft). once the unit "zeroes" you should be pretty close to the cache. occasionally taking a compass bearing while 30 to 40 meters out and then following the bearing to the cache would also help in hitting the cache. if the kilometers thing is tough for you to use think of them as half mile units (really more like 0.6 mi/kilometer). hope this helps. -harry

I have an old garmin 12 and wouldn't trade it for the world. I know my target will fall within a 50' diameter circle centered on where the unit sends me, assuming I'm using the same datum used to produce the target location.

ps I don't think they still sell the 12, but if they do I'd recommend it to anyone as a cheap yet highly effective unit. BTW .01 mi. = about 53' or about 18 paces.

Yes I love my good old Garmin GPS 12. Made beautifull accurate measurements (sub-meter) with it doing postprocessing of the GPS12 raw data.

see: http://www.xs4all.nl/~atarist/geo/gps_accuracy.htm

And last summer (when I asked) there where brandnew units for sale through the normal channels. So they are still in production. It must be a recordholder in this!

I have set the GPS12 so that he gives me on the display meters distance when using the GOTO. Walking along I see the number counting down en when it is zero: pronto!