$87.90 Later.

graylling

I've never spent nearly that much... are you using priority mail? insurance? delivery confirmation? each of the services costs alot extra and I don't normally use them

I only use insurance if the value is over $35

I only use Priority mail if I'm send move than 5 coins to an individual....

I never use delivery confirmation...

Edited by f0t0m0m

Wow, I sent 19 packages on Wednesday and paid less than $18.00. Are you doing a lot of trades over seas? Including envelopes which you get get for about $0.15 in bulk off of ebay, my gas, my time and anyhting else you want to compute I still don't think I paid over $1.25 per package. One single coin with no insurance and no delivery confirmation in a small envelope is only about 1.40 ozs which ships for $0.60, a bigger envelope puts you over 2 ozs and ships for $0.83.

~$800 for postage and optional insurance for the 2005 Alaska geocoin project which involved nearly 400 envelops and packages for more than 1500 brass coins in flips and the solid silver and silver w/ gold relief coins in their display cases. About half the orders requested insurance which tacked on a minimum of $1.30 to a shipment. Orders up to twelve ounces went 1st class mail by weight. Orders over twelve ounces went Priority Flat Rate Envelop for $3.85, including a decent-sized coin club order. Overseas orders went Air Letter Post at about 80 cents per ounce. Postage to Canada was a little less than overseas postage. To my knowledge, no coin orders were lost, though I did learn the value of a good return address due to two cachers having moved w/o a forwarding address and a couple of messed up mailing labels on my end.

I had so send one coin to Germany and it was $16 with Ins.  With out Ins. it would have been about $2.

Richard

You coud've had 2 shipments go missing for that price :D:D

That is true, But the person that I sent the coin to paid for Ins. so I did not mind.

Richard

Edited by GeoCrickets

Well, I had to mail out 51 packages at about $1.70 a piece... Then tax on top of that. Fortunately all the packages were going to the US. Overseas would have been a lot more. (shudder)

I suppose I could have spread it out a little bit but since I had promised everyone I had arranged trades with I would mail them out as soon as I got them I decided to bite the bullet and do it all at once. The Canadian postal system is overpriced compared to the US system.

Amazingly though I got emails from a couple of people telling me they got the coins only 2 days after they were mailed. Personally I had expected it to take a bit longer.

Edited by graylling

I don't know how many of you use paypal for your orders, but if you do and you want delivery confirmation on you packs you can get it for only .13 when you print the labels direct through the site (there is no longer a fee and if you are doing priority, the conf. is free). makes it much cheaper and easier. Sadly, still no good for international. But it saves some time and money.

Well, I had to mail out 51 packages at about $1.70 a piece...  Then tax on top of that.    Fortunately all the packages were going to the US.  Overseas would have been a lot more.    (shudder)

I suppose I could have spread it out a little bit but since I had promised everyone I had arranged trades with I would mail them out as soon as I got them I decided to bite the bullet and do it all at once.  The Canadian postal system is overpriced compared to the US system. 

Amazingly though I got emails from a couple of people telling me they got the coins only 2 days after they were mailed.  Personally I had expected it to take a bit longer.

Canada Post totally sucks compared to USPS, because when sending letter post by USPS, they only care about weight. Canada Post checks the thickness too. If it's more than 5 mm thick, it is a non-standard letter (more expensive) and if it's thicker than 20 mm, it has to go as small packet (even more expensive when mailing stuff that doesn't weigh much).

I was sending a Canada Geocoin to Europe last week and I just put it in a standard envelope (not Jiffy/padded). I wrapped it in a piece of paper and taped it onto another piece of paper almost the size of the envelope, so the coin does not move in the envelope. I have a digital scale at home and that letter weighed 32 g. Standard (the cheapest) letter is up to 30 g, so I just bought a $1.45 ($1.55 with tax) stamp and dropped it into the mailbox. Even if they check the weight, they will not return it to me because of 2 grams more. If I used a padded envelope, it would be thicker than 5 mm and I would have to pay $3.40 + tax for shipping.

Edited by Thrasher22