Question Re Cache Density

bear&fox

Stages within a multi cache are allowed to be as close together as the placer wishes, however they still must be 528 feet away from any other cache or any other stage of a cache. The 528 foot guidleine is relaxed for certain reasons but yes, generally the stages of a multi must also be 528 feet away from any other cache or any other stage of any multicache.

So if I wanted to add a new cache in a particular area, this new cache must be 528 feet from one of another multi-stage cache's clues/waypoints (despite the fact the multi-stage's cache is well beyond the 528 feet distance)?

I hope that makes sense - have been planning a new cache, but a recently placed multi chews up the whole area (assuming that all the stages will be subjected to the distance rule).

Would be great if anyone can confirm.

Your cache must be at least .1 miles away from *any* stage, physical or virtual, of an existing multicache or puzzle cache. See this post in the Frequently Asked Questions thread that's pinned at the top of the "Getting Started" forum. And, because the question *is* asked so frequently, the Geocache Listing Guidelines document was updated earlier this week to explain this a bit better.

Your cache must be at least .1 miles away from *any* stage, physical or virtual, of an existing multicache or puzzle cache.  See this post in the Frequently Asked Questions thread that's pinned at the top of the "Getting Started" forum.  And, because the question *is* asked so frequently, the Geocache Listing Guidelines document was updated earlier this week to explain this a bit better.

THIS POST made a few days earlier says that grandfathered virts will be ignored in the density rule:

The reviewers use a rule of thumb that caches placed within .10 miles (528 feet or 161 meters) of another cache may not be listed on the site. This is an arbitrary distance and is just a guideline, but the ultimate goal is to reduce the number of caches hidden in a particular area and to reduce confusion that might otherwise result when one cache is found while looking for another. This guideline applies to all stages of multicaches and mystery/puzzle caches, except for any “bogus” posted coordinates for a puzzle cache.

Grandfathered Virtsand Webcams are no longer part of the cache saturation guidelines. You may place a physical cache with no concern regarding its distance from a grandfathered Virtual cache.

Which interpretation is the proper one?

Just a query . . . how did we come up with the arbitrary distance of 1/10 miles (528') for cache density control?

It highly unlikely that anyone's coords or search area would require such an arbitrary distance, am I right?

Is it arbitrarily implemented, subject to reasonable exclusion if circumstances warrant a change . . . it certainly should be to better serve the caching community.

You see, if it IS arbitrary, it can be treated in an arbitrary manner, as a guideline rahter than a hard & fast rule.

I believe it is just a guideline . . . at least with our local approver.

I recently placed a new cache near a spectacular Agave plant. This location was closer than 528' to another one of my caches.

The terrain is rugged and the actual hiking distance is probably further than 528' so the new cache was approved.

I was happy about that. I didn't want to have to hike back up there and move the original cache, although I put in the "Reviewers Note" I was willing to do that. :rolleyes:

Just a query . . . how did we come up with the arbitrary distance of 1/10 miles (528') for cache density control?

It highly unlikely that anyone's coords or search area would require such an arbitrary distance, am I right?

Is it arbitrarily implemented, subject to reasonable exclusion if circumstances warrant a change . . . it certainly should be to better serve the caching community.

You see, if it IS arbitrary, it can be treated in an arbitrary manner, as a guideline rahter than a hard & fast rule.

Uh, 30 "Helens" agreed that it was a good distance?

In my experience, they ARE guidelines, and GC quite fairly considers any exceptions. The process works! If you do not believe it, then read this thread from back in March 05.

So, what is the angst? I lost track... :rolleyes:

Your cache must be at least .1 miles away from *any* stage, physical or virtual, of an existing multicache or puzzle cache.

Not complaining but I understand the word "MUST" as not being subject to revision, it sounds more like a hard & fast rule, rather than a flexible guideline.

Perhaps the word 'should' would be more applicable . . . no matter, I am okay with it as a rule - there are plenty of places to hide caches, even if I have had to pass up some choice ones.

As many have said, a nearby owner will probably be very willing to move a micro in favor of a larger cache, right? I certainly would, if someone who was kind to me and asked nicely - it simply makes sense to please the larger number of seekers.

Pardon me for paraphrasing while trying to explain the Cache Saturation Guideline. I'll instead refer interested wordsmiths to the text of the actual guideline:

Cache Saturation

The reviewers use a rule of thumb that caches placed within .10 miles (528 feet or 161 meters) of another cache may not be listed on the site. This is an arbitrary distance and is just a guideline, but the ultimate goal is to reduce the number of caches hidden in a particular area and to reduce confusion that might otherwise result when one cache is found while looking for another. This guideline applies to all stages of multicaches and mystery/puzzle caches, except for any “bogus” posted coordinates for a puzzle cache.

On the same note, don't go cache crazy and hide a cache every 600 feet just because you can. If you want to create a series of caches, the reviewer may require you to create a multi-cache, if the waypoints are close together.

The above language controls over the text of my prior post.