Nysparks: Permit For Cache Placement

gunx

I apologize if this has been covered, I don't visit the forums much.

I was contacted today by the Park Manager at Minnewaska State Park about my geocache called Milling About Millbrook. He said I needed to get a permit by 11/18/05 or my cache would be removed, then destroyed after 30 days.

I called and talked with him and got the impression that he's willing to work with geocacher's, but he needs to follow the direction he's been given. I immediately jumped in the car and went to the Park Office, met with him and filled out the application. The application does require coordinates, descriptions and acknowledgement of their rules, no fee. Relatively painless actually. He issued two permits of the same number for my two stage multicache and said he would have one of his rangers find the cache and place the permits on my two containers. I doubt the actual permit sticker can fit on the outside of my first stage container, it's covered with indigenous flora, no problem on the second stage.

If you have a cache placed in a NYS Park, I suggest you get a permit sometime soon and hope you meet a nice Park Manager that's willing to work with geocacher's.

Milling About Millbrook is the first geocache in Minnewaska State Park that has submitted an application for a permit, hopefully approved tomorrow.

gunx

It would be nice to have a resource to know a) what "jurisdictions" have a "permit policy", and :D what hoops to jump through if there is a permit process in place for an area. Most of us are "hit & miss" with placing caches, but mainly because even if we thought maybe we should try to get permission, it would be difficult to figure out who to ask for permission, and what to say to "permission givers/land managers" if they have never heard of geocaching (or, what to say if the HAVE heard of geocaching in a negative way). I have tried to bring up this subject on the NNJG website forum, but have gotten only one response.

It would be nice to have a resource to know a) what "jurisdictions" have a "permit policy", and :) what hoops to jump through if there is a permit process in place for an area. Most of us are "hit & miss" with placing caches, but mainly because even if we thought maybe we should try to get permission, it would be difficult to figure out who to ask for permission, and what to say to "permission givers/land managers" if they have never heard of geocaching (or, what to say if the HAVE heard of geocaching in a negative way). I have tried to bring up this subject on the NNJG website forum, but have gotten only one response.

Its pretty simple in northern NJ and southern NY. NJ is pretty much OK everywhere (so far) with the exception of the Delaware Watergap NRA and Gateway NRA. I also believe Kittintany State Park has a manager who wants people to obtain permisison.

In NY any property managed by the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation requires permits. That includes all NY state parks. Mpst other areas that I know of don't require any permits or permission. That includes DEC managed lands like state forests and gamelands.

Thank our lucky stars we aren't in Ohio. Nearly every county park system has their own geocaching rules, or total bans. Some city and town park systems have their own rules and the state parks require permission.

All they really need to know is the owners name & number, and  the location and description of the cache couldn't GC.com or the approver auto email that info to them.

In my case, The Park Manager wants to actually find each cache to determine if it fits within their guidelines. If he feels that the cache is within guidelines he will affix the permit sticker to the outside of each cache container. I know for sure the first stage of the cache I referenced above has no place to put the permit on the outside.

There are some interesting rules on the cache permit....one that bothered me a bit is that the life a cache is no more than two years. My cache has been out over two years now, only 17 finders, I fail to see how that's an impact to anything. I would hope they take the view that my cache brings some revenue into the park.

From the permit:

"All permits will be valid for two years. Exact starting and ending dates will be recorded on the permit. Upon permit expiration, the owner is responsible for removing the cache and removing its location from the website or other information source as an active cache."

I really wonder if they will enforce this or some of the other rules that are clearly ambiguous.

Why it took JMBELLA 3 months to get a permit I don't know.

There was a period of time that the various parks had not yet been issued the permit stickers, application forms and instructions. Perhaps this was the cause for the delay.

HERE is a link to some info on cache placement in NY State Parks.

edit added link.

Edited by Marc G.