Looking To Replace My Meridian Platinum...

dthigpen

Well, after 3 years of extremely heavy usage, my Meridian Platinum bit the dust. I'm currently in the market for a new GPS and would like recomendations for a new unit primarily for hiking.

I'd like the unit to be a small and lightweight as possible while still maintaining a feature set at least matching the Meridian Platinum's. The unit must have software available for it which includes good Topo maps with Trails and/or Trailheads for National AND State Parks, along with other popular area trails (I'm in Southern California). I do a lot of off-trail hiking/bushwhacking and am known to 'abuse' my unit (In a good way, I take care of it when I'm back in the rear).

My current considerations are the Garmin GPSMAP 60CS and the Magellan eXplorist 600. Price is not a consideration (within reason), I'll be happy to pay a couple thousand for a solution that will last me another 3 years.

Thanks for any advice you may have to offer,

Two thoughts:

1. How long are your outings? If you are out for more than a day or two at a time, the battery situation in the 60CS might be easier to deal with. The rechargeable Li-Ion in the 600 has some workaround, but the longer you're out the more cumbersome they get.

2. What mapping software do you have now? Some of the Mapsend products you may have now will work on the 600; some won't.

Well, I just went to REI and looked at the selection and ended up getting a GPSMAN 60CS, CitySelect v7, Topo, and the Topo 24k West software packages. After playing with the 60CS a bit in person, it seemed like a good fit. I also picked up the Topo! Streets & 3D Views add-on as it seems it adds USB GPS support to Topo! state products so that solves the connection issue with the new 60CS. I'm a happy camper now.

Is there any 'knacks' I should be aware of with the 60CS before I take it out to Joshua Tree this weekend?

Thanks for the input.

Edited by dthigpen

If your unit is chiefly for hiking consdier one of the new color eTrex units. The Legend C and Vista C. They are a nice, compact size for hiking. As much as I like my 60CS, I find its bulk to be an annoyance while hiking.

The eTrex's 24 megs of memory is plentiful if you are only running Mapsource Topo, which is what I would recommend if hiking is the primary use.

If your unit is chiefly for hiking consdier one of the new color eTrex units. The Legend C and Vista C. They are a nice, compact size for hiking. As much as I like my 60CS, I find its bulk to be an annoyance while hiking.

The eTrex's 24 megs of memory is plentiful if you are only running Mapsource Topo, which is what I would recommend if hiking is the primary use.

Yeah, the 60CS is a tad bulky, but not too bad. It's not that big of an issue though, it'll be sitting in a side pouch on my day pack, attached via lanyard.

...my Meridian Platinum bit the dust.
So did mine - literally. It is somewhere in the 15 miles of road between my last find and my house. It was the last cache for the day so I didn't miss it until a number of hours later and then remembered that I had set it on the bumper of the Jeep :D

I just ordered a Garmin eTrex Vista C as a replacement. It seems to have everything the Magellan had but in a smaller package. This GPSr will be hung around my neck - not set on the bumper.