Gagb Committee Elections

Moote

OK I'm signed up on the GAGB site, and have been for over 6 months.

I see this post Gagb Committee Elections; now I am not sure if I have missed something here, but when I click on a link all I get back is every time I click on a link about this issue it says:

The error returned was:

Sorry, but you do not have permission to use this feature. If you are not logged in, you may do so using the form below if available.

I am logged in; so I now feel that any "so called election is a complete sham!"

Mongoose the elections were posted on the GAGB forums at "Sep 28 2005, 08:29 PM" by the out-going chairman Paul Blitz. I'm one of those odd balls who opens several geocaching forums in tabs (firefox) at the same time including GAGB. And check all of them several times a day. So immediatly saw the topic when it was first posted.

Dave

I think the election of the Chairman is a sham! Also the way he came on here to announce his position then close the thread is censorship and as such I would propose a vote for a democratically elected Chairperson; where was the election? when was the election?

We want a Chirperson who

1. Uses a forum for discussion and not self-gratitude

2. Allows others to have their say

3. Is representative of all who want to vote. How can it be when all the links I have tried say

Sorry, but you do not have permission to use this feature. If you are not logged in, you may do so using the form below if available.

My point, this has been a closed undemocratic process and as such shows how GAGB work

Pat yourselves on the back as I will not GAGB

I have tried the link posted by Mancunian Pyrocacher and I get the same issue!

Milton

So if you dont read the forums, you dont get a vote?

Again, Nice

If your a member of Gagb, then you should have , or willreceive an email informing you of the coming election.

ear GAGB Member!

It has come to the time of year where we need to elect a chairman and a committee.

You'll find the details at: http://www.gagb.org.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=606

... and as you will see, this year, we will be having an election for chairman!!!! Whilst I am standing down, I'm very happy to say that both Bill D and Dave Edwards have been nominated, and have both accepted their nominations, for the post of chairman.

The election will take place from Sat 5th November to Saturday 12th November: please look at the GAGB forum for voting details.

The election of the GAGB committee will take place between 19th and 26th November: again, more details will appear on the GAGB forum.

Regards

Paul Blitz

GAGB Chairman

Excuse me we get an email telling us about the election of the chairman, after the chairman is elected. I hav no issue with the chairman just how he was elected. This was emailed on the 2nd of November after nominations for the Chairman had closed.

So please explain to me how I am bang out of order?

Again, Nice

If your a member of Gagb, then you should have , or willreceive an email informing you of the coming election.

Out of order? I think not, I can only see that to join is to sign up at the site, I had several months ago. Elections held in an open forum are not democratic, I am a member of several Clubs and societies including RRCPC and NCA, none of these have elections in this unprofessional way so I stick with the word SHAM!

Moote as you will see GAGB elections that take place (when there is more than one candidate) are not made by open forums. But under proper scrutinised voting. Which will be scrutinised by a independent person with no connexions to GAGB (previously this was a US cacher held in high esteem by other members of the community). Your name has been put forward and seconded for election to the committee, I hope you will accept so that you will be able to see the whole process from the other side to those voting. As for the election for the position of chairman, if there is only one candidate standing how can there actualy be a vote, for a example of such occasions check out motor sport (which includes F1) Max Mosley was just elected president of FIA (the governing body) without a vote as no one opposed him.

Dave

not being an active member of the gagb forums (as I only just found out about those ones) I hope I can be impartial! I think mongoose and moote were more concerned about the lack of notification at nomination time than about the upcoming 'non'-election. Not being able to nominate anyone (I have no idea if they wanted to!) meant that there was only one candidate.

Just my 0.5 pence worth <_<

Dave

well as you have been nominated for a comittee position why don't you stand and then you (if elected) can sort out this "sham" from the inside.

Now, if I go into the forum as a guest (not logged in) I can browse and read them, if I sign in I am denied all access I cant even read a thread, so how can I place my voice on the forum?

Why was the election for the Chairperson not posted on the GAGB home page? I do go there often and look. As for the forums I have identified a problem with them and that is I can't get in them! Now I want to stand and also I with to nominate Mongoose39Uk for a position, How do I do this?

Milton (aka Moote)

Edited by Moote

I am a member of several Clubs and societies including RRCPC and NCA, none of these have elections in this unprofessional way so I stick with the word SHAM!

It's a subject that your pretty well up on then, so you would be a good candidate for an active part in the running of GAGB. And as you have been proposed, get your self on there and getting the elections into some democratic form. <_<

Nige

I am a member of several Clubs and societies including RRCPC and NCA, none of these have elections in this unprofessional way so I stick with the word SHAM!

It's a subject that your pretty well up on then, so you would be a good candidate for an active part in the running of GAGB. And as you have been proposed, get your self on there and getting the elections into some democratic form. <_<

Nige

Well I would if it did not error when I tried to access the forums once logged in!

So how can I have my democratic say?

Milton (aka Moote)

Now I want to stand and also I with to nominate Mongoose39Uk for a position, How do I do this?

Sorry Milton as I have just challenged you on the GAGB forum to stand and now I see you wish to but are having difficulty in getting access - I wish you well and hope that access can be sorted out.

Moote as you will see GAGB elections that take place (when there is more than one candidate) are not made by open forums. But under proper scrutinised voting. Which will be scrutinised by a independent person with no connexions to GAGB (previously this was a US cacher held in high esteem by other members of the community). Your name has been put forward and seconded for election to the committee, I hope you will accept so that you will be able to see the whole process from the other side to those voting. As for the election for the position of chairman, if there is only one candidate standing how can there actualy be a vote, for a example of such occasions check out motor sport (which includes F1) Max Mosley was just elected president of FIA (the governing body) without a vote as no one opposed him.

Dave

Emmmm Max Mosley! and who was his relation in history?

Moote I've nominated Mongoose on your behalf for the GAGB committee.

As why Max Mosley as a example of why there was not a vote for Chair/man/person, he was elected as chairman of FIA without a vote as no one stood against him. If you look at the membership for the UK this includes the AA and RAC and for some strange reason both the Camping and Caravaning Club and the Caravaning Club. If they can elect a chairman without a vote under such circumstances with all the legal eagles they have, so can GAGB. The only thing wrong I can see the GAGB committe made is that they did not shout the news about the elections long enough or loud enough. There was no attempt to hide the elections or nominations as anyone who visited the forums could see the both.

So do we have someone to second Mongoose on the GAGB forum?

Dave

Seriously, I'm sure your problem logging on is a simple "glitch", not some deep conspiracy.

It would not surprise me if it was a deep conspiracy where my name is concerned, as I don't let go of an issue once I have raised it and they might not like that!

Edited by Moote
Oh Boy - politics gone mad.

Paul Blitz posted here on 28th September that the elections were forthcoming and didn't close the thread. Nobody responded on that thread to his friendly and open invitation to join in

I would vote for a Chairman of either sex.

Adrian

PS Stuey - good post.

Idea here, when other organisations have something major happening it is posted on their Home Page either as a brief with a link to a main item, or a full news post.

Now I pop on GAGB's site at least once a week and the page I visit first is the Home Page. No mention was posted on there about the issue of the Chairperson vote, that is a major failing on behalf of the committee; there is absolutely no excuse for this and as for visiting the forums well I could in the past but now I have had to create a new account Moote01 to be able to do this.

So in my eyes the way the election was conducted is basically flawed as it was less that visable to the majority.

Milton

Here we go again......

I always find it amazing the amount of energy people are prepared to expend in getting upset about the election processes of GAGB. People seem to act like the positions involved hold huge amounts of power and responsibility, when instead all they mean is hardwork and expense for the people involved.

AFAICS people have had from the 28th September to stand for election, but no one apart from bill stood. So Bill got the job of chairman. End of.

Chris

Here we go again......

I always find it amazing the amount of energy people are prepared to expend in getting upset about the election processes of GAGB. People seem to act like the positions involved hold huge amounts of power and responsibility, when instead all they mean is hardwork and expense for the people involved.

AFAICS people have had from the 28th September to stand for election, but no one apart from bill stood. So Bill got the job of chairman. End of.

Chris

I think you have missed the point.

Or is it perhaps that people dont want to see the point?

One post that quickly dies behind a load of congrats threads is not a good and fair way to annonce and election in my opinion.

The announcement of elections by email for the Chair was not sent until after the date for nominations where to be made.

I remain very unimpressed <_<

I think you have missed the point.

One post that quickly dies behind a load of congrats threads is not a good and fair way to annonce and election in my opinion.

So what you are saying is announcing an election in the way its been done the last two times is suddenly not good enough? Ho hum.

I think you will find that most people couldn't give a monkeys cuss about the point, are fed with all the rangling that goes on about GAGB and just want to carry on caching.

Chris

[Well I would if it did not error when I tried to access the forums once logged in!

Milton (aka Moote)

Your not the only one. I have had this problem for over a year, I forgot my password and have tried dozens of times with the activation codes I get sent out when I ckick LOST PASSWORD, so I can't log in, and just read bits of the forum . <_<

Nige

What rangling about the GAGB, are there other issues then?

I wouldn't say "are" - I would say there were other issues.

Do a forum search on the formation of GAGB and you will see that there was an awfull lot of rows that occured when the GAGB was set up. There was an awfull lot of bad feeling at the time - mostly due to the missunderstandings that occur all to easily on forums.

After that GAGB went off and did its job and life carried on pretty much as before.

[Well I would if it did not error when I tried to access the forums once logged in!

Milton (aka Moote)

Your not the only one. I have had this problem for over a year, I forgot my password and have tried dozens of times with the activation codes I get sent out when I ckick LOST PASSWORD, so I can't log in, and just read bits of the forum . <_<

Nige

Nige

I was actually logged in I can see the topic, but if I tried to read on I was not allowed, but if I logged out I could read them. Then I could click reply and it allowed me to write my bit, but after that the topic was not viewable till I log out. All resolved now as I created a new account which appears to work OK

Milton

I think you will find that most people couldn't give a monkeys cuss about the point, are fed with all the rangling that goes on about GAGB and just want to carry on caching.

Chris

Maybe most don't give a monkeys cuss, but the ones who do should not be hushed up!

Milton

Ah,

a little calm seems to be descending.

Do not want to damage GAGB.

Just to resolve something that I see as an issue.

I accept that the Chair has been elected and there is nothing we can do to change that. I have also no issue with who the chair is.

I do however feel that there are better ways of doing it, so that all members are fully aware not just the ones who happen to spot it in the forums>

Again, Nice

ear GAGB Member!

It has come to the time of year where we need to elect a chairman and a committee.

You'll find the details at: http://www.gagb.org.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=606

... and as you will see, this year, we will be having an election for chairman!!!! Whilst I am standing down, I'm very happy to say that both Bill D and Dave Edwards have been nominated, and have both accepted their nominations, for the post of chairman.

The election will take place from Sat 5th November to Saturday 12th November: please look at the GAGB forum for voting details.

The election of the GAGB committee will take place between 19th and 26th November: again, more details will appear on the GAGB forum.

Regards

Paul Blitz

GAGB Chairman

Excuse me we get an email telling us about the election of the chairman, after the chairman is elected. I hav no issue with the chairman just how he was elected. This was emailed on the 2nd of November after nominations for the Chairman had closed.

So please explain to me how I am bang out of order?

Ok, let me, as the person who organised things, set the record straight:

1) I posted in the GAGB forums about the election at the end of September... specifically within the timescales laid down on the GAGB constitution & standing orders. In fact, if you read my post on the GAGB forums, you'll realise that I screwed up last year, so made sure I didn't THIS time!

2) at the same time I posted a message in the UK forums HERE on GC.COM, telling everyone that it was GAGB election time. I generally keep such messages short and sweet, as I feel GAGB affairs should be discussed in the GAGB forums, not here.

3) As per the GAGB constitution & standing orders, the nominations for chairman stopped last weekend. I MISREAD proposal messages in the GAGB forum, that lead me to believe we needed an election. I therefore sent out an email to all GAGB members announcing the election

What I SHOULD have read was one nomination for chairman, and one for the committee. This meant no election was needed: so I sent out a second email, admitting my error, and announcing that, as a result, we had a new chairman

4) The GAGB constitution & standing orders do not say we have to email members when the election is called, although, if we can, we do.

5) If people are interested enough in an organisation, they do not need prompting to "keep in touch"

6) We have a CHAIRMAN, as defined in our constitution. The sexual equalities act applies, and (automatically) this permits ANYONE to stand. (Many local councils keep a chairman, often as "madam chairman"

7) All of the above is NOTHING AT ALL TO DO WITH GC:COM: why didn't you (a) write in the GAGB forums; (:anibad: email the GAGB committee?

8) I am glad to see that you have decided to stand for the committee election. Anyone ELSE want to stand?

9) Re your problems replying on the forums... not sure what the problem is... but a pleasant email to a gagb committee member would probably have sorted things out. Bear in mind that things can take time... unlike GC.COM, we are 100% volunteers, and all lead busy lives outside caching. Now that we're aware of the issue, I'm sure we can fix the problem.

10) if you feel that the GAGB constitution etc need changing, then why not read them, and please do something to change them. Mind you, if you do, you'll be the first to break the "apathy barrier" :-)

11) in the next few days, all GAGB "non-voting members" will get changed to full, voting members... we don't usually bother doing this until an election is due, if only to save time. So everyone will be able to vote, if there's an election!

Moderators: from my perspective (and probably most others here!) there is no reason for this thread to continue here... it should happen over in the GAGB forums!

Paul