Fugawi And Pda's

Not quite sure what you mean about them not sitting together well. I'm using Fugawi on an iPAQ 3630 without any problems.

The only shortcoming that I have come across is that you cannot create or modify a waypoint directly on the pocket PC, you can create a waypoint by tapping on the screen but that is not a lot of use when trying to input co-ord for next point on a multi. It does have the option to upload/download waypoints from a Garmin GPSr, but I have yet to try this.

If you want to see it in the flesh so to speak call round and try it out.

I am the proud, but poor, owner of a Dell Axim X50V and currently use Fugawi on it with no problem at all. Sat Nav to the cache area using TomTom5 and POIs then use Fugawi for the walk in. GPS Tuner is handy for fine work or using downloaded maps from other sources (even scanned street planners) and it uses an averaging algorithm to give you extremely precise position fixes. I will be trialing Memory Map on the PPC soon though, so willl follow up with any comments.

As for transferring the maps/waypoints/routes, it couldn't be easier. With your Dell in the cradle and Active Sync running, it can all be managed within the Fugawi main prog on your desktop/laptop. I have a library of pre-prepared maps and just transfer the one I need at the time. I have a 1Gb SD card, but have never come even close to using more than about a tenth of it's capacity. A lot depends on how much music, photos etc you also want on there. One final piece of software I have been using is GPX Sonar for all the cache info pages and last few logs.

Now someone is going to tell me that GSAK can do all of the above in one programme :D

Have fun with your new toy and don't forget to download a copy of Pocket Mini Golf, it's great ;)

Good hunting,

Bud

As for transferring the maps/waypoints/routes, it couldn't be easier. With your Dell in the cradle and Active Sync running, it can all be managed within the Fugawi main prog on your desktop/laptop. I have a library of pre-prepared maps and just transfer the one I need at the time.

Yup, exactly what we do, but unfortunately unless you have a laptop with you whilst out hunting for that multi, you cannot add co-ords gained during the hunt to Fugawi.

As for transferring the maps/waypoints/routes, it couldn't be easier.  With your Dell in the cradle and Active Sync running, it can all be managed within the Fugawi main prog on your desktop/laptop.  I have a library of pre-prepared maps and just transfer the one I need at the time.

Yup, exactly what we do, but unfortunately unless you have a laptop with you whilst out hunting for that multi, you cannot add co-ords gained during the hunt to Fugawi.

OziExplorerCE can do this no probs.

Does it have UK OS maps?

It comes with no maps. It uses georeferenced TIFs, or you can scan your own (done this for trip to Europe). Or reference rastar (images) maps. I have access to OS mapping.

I'm not familiar with Fugawi, you buy OS mapping in chunks I believe - what format do they come as?

Edited by jochta

Does it have UK OS maps?

It comes with no maps. It uses georeferenced TIFs, or you can scan your own (done this for trip to Europe). Or reference rastar (images) maps. I have access to OS mapping.

I'm not familiar with Fugawi, you buy OS mapping in chunks I believe - what format do they come as?

The map files in Fugawi are .FLX files, which I assume is something specific to Fugawi. The export files to Pocket PC are .FX4

Does it have UK OS maps?

The map files in Fugawi are .FLX files, which I assume is something specific to Fugawi. The export files to Pocket PC are .FX4

A quick read around and it looks like you are tied into Fugawi with those maps. Maybe to do with the license from OS.

If you could capture the map as an image (e.g. maybe http://www.techsmith.com/products/snagit/default.asp), even as screen dumps and stitched together, you could then reference the image in Ozi.

Does it have UK OS maps?

A quick read around and it looks like you are tied into Fugawi with those maps. Maybe to do with the license from OS.

If you could capture the map as an image (e.g. maybe http://www.techsmith.com/products/snagit/default.asp), even as screen dumps and stitched together, you could then reference the image in Ozi.

Sounds like rather a lot of hassle for what at the end of the day is only a relatively minor niggle with Fugawi. After all, I (and probably most other Fugawi users) mainly use Fugawi as a back up to check location on a map with the GPSr being the primary navigation aid.

Why pay big money on a PDA that fits around cheap software?

Just ditch the Fugawi and get the far superior and user friendly Map Memory. The lastest version (v5?) has just been released and there are some great PPC/Map Memory bundle packs available.

Thats what I did and have not looked back since! Would n't touch Fugawi with the proverbial barge pole now!

Just ditch the Fugawi and get the far superior and user friendly Map Memory. The lastest version (v5?) has just been released and there are some great PPC/Map Memory bundle packs available.

Thats what I did and have not looked back since! Would n't touch Fugawi with the proverbial barge pole now!

Probably would if I had a v large lump of cash to spare, but hey, such is life. :ninja:

Probably would if I had a v large lump of cash to spare, but hey, such is life. :ninja:

Ditto!

Probably would if I had a v large lump of cash to spare, but hey, such is life.

Ditto!

The Mio 168 with intergrated GPS is available new for £199 inc vat and regional Map Memory for £40 both of which I can not fault, so maybe if you're extra good between now and christmas then Santa might just push the boat out and get you that extra special pressie!!