Garmin 60cs Or 76cs?

MACseekers

There are five normally cited differences.

1. The 76C is bigger and more square

2. The 76C has its buttons above the screen

3. The 76C floats (the 60C is sort of neutrally buoyant unless you use lithium batteries, in which case it also floates)

4. The 76C has more memory (115MB vs. 56MB for the 60C)

5. The 76C has a better basemap (13MB vs. 8 MB for the 60C)

Specifically, the 76C has a 128MB chip with a 13MB basemap, leaving 115MB for user maps. The 60C has a 64MB chip with an 8MB basemanp, leaving 56MB for user maps.

If you are going to install maps, like City Select or US Topo, the basemap difference is irrelevant. If you don't travel all over, or if you carry a laptop when you do, the memory difference doesn't matter.

The first two factors are mostly "look and feel." Some users like square edges and buttons on top; others like the baked-potato shape and buttons on the bottom.

If possible, handle both units and see which one feels best for you.

I considered both units as well. I have handled both units and to tell you the truth the actual handling and button positioning has not made one bit of difference to me. Either one is fine. I ended up choosing the 76CS over the 60CS. The only reason why I chose the 76CS over the 60CS was simply for the extra memory which I thought I would make good use of. If you only plan on using it locally and really never intend on doing a lot of "travelling" with it, the 60CS is just as good.

While holding them in the hand test try to enter data using 1 hand and I'm sure you will find that having the buttons on top the 76 is much easier to enter data with your thumb. Most people always wish they had more storage after buying a gps so being able to hold twice as much mapping is a big plus especially when you start adding topo maps on top of your other loaded maps.

Hey! stop doing side by side comparison like that ;-) I just got my 76s a week ago and I only have 4 finds under my belt - you're making me think I got the wrong unit! oh well, guess this'ss just have to do for now ;-)

Hey, any 1 know if this is viable:

mounting a car antenna to the top of a walking stick or pack for trips?

lemme-no!

.peace

Looks like you probably have already made up your mind. But, as for me I liked the 76c. Reasons are more screen, more memory and most of all it floats. That feature has paid for itself already for me once. Hit a stump at about 20 miles an hour that I didn't see. That's a good story in it self.

Your Squirrel Hunting Friend,

Owen

Reasons are more screen, more memory and most of all it floats.

I agree with more memory (and also a better basemap), but the screens of the 60c/cs and the 76c/cs are identical. And the 60c/cs units I've seen also float - just with less of the case above water compared to the 76c/cs. Anyone still concerned about the floating could attach one of the little bobbers that come on keychains for fishermen and clip it to the lanyard - the bright color of these would also be a big help in spotting the unit in the water.

Interesting.

I've owned both, and actually traded in my 76cs for a 60cs. In my experience, I've found the 60cs to be much more accurate in the field. I don't know if it is because of the rhino antenna or what.

Does anyone else have any experience with the 60cs vs the 76cs concerning accuracy? I'm not questioning donbadabon's opinion, I would just like to know if this is an isolated case or if the 60cs actually has better reception.

Boudreaux

Interesting.

I've owned both, and actually traded in my 76cs for a 60cs. In my experience, I've found the 60cs to be much more accurate in the field. I don't know if it is because of the rhino antenna or what.

Does anyone else have any experience with the 60cs vs the 76cs concerning accuracy? I'm not questioning donbadabon's opinion, I would just like to know if this is an isolated case or if the 60cs actually has better reception.

Boudreaux

I've used my 60CS alongside people with a 76CS and I don't recall any difference in reception. That was generally under pretty heavy leaf cover.

My reference to accuracy was outside of leaf cover. Just walking through a field with a clear view of the sky.

It seemed to me the 76 would always think the cache was much further (100+) feet away than it actually was, and then would very slowly bring me back to the location.

And the 60 consistantly takes me right to the general area of the cache without overshooting it.

I also see this when caching with others that have the 76. They are walking a LONG way away from ground zero, and then will slowly start coming back.

Just what I've seen. It was significant enough for me to switch to the 60cs, and I never looked back.

Does the 76CS have the new software like the 60cs which has a seperate cache waypoint listing?

Is the processor just as fast?

Yes and yes.

What kind of accuracy should one expect under moderate to heavy tree cover with the 60c(s) or 76c(s)? I need to be able to render fairly accurate tracks of access roads and fire lanes in heavy timber and transfer the tracts to Terrain Navigator Pro.

Thanks in advance,

Boudreaux

Within 15-30 feet, just like any other GPS unit. The differences between most units is minimal. THe 60C(S) and 76C(S) also have jacks for an external antenna which should improve reception under heavy tree cover.

Keeping a good lock while under heavy tree cover is the one thing I find to be the worst thing about my 60CS. I have never used the 76, but am comparing it to my Magellan SporTrak Pro. I don't really have a lot of issues when caching in my home state of Idaho, but when I am caching in Oregon or Houston, Texas area I really notice the difference.

This is not enough to stop me from using the 60CS since the other features are so excellent, but it can make caching more of a challenge, not to mention finding my way back to my car.

:anitongue: