What Is The Point

ATMA

I have moved several Travel Bugs to new cache locations lately and noticed something I just cant figure out.

Why would someone pick up a Bug I am watching, go put it in another cache, log putting it there then log taking it out again in the same day?

A couple of them have been logged in and out of the same cache by the same person up to 3 and 4 times.

Why would someone do this?

But the TB doesnt move. They put it in the cache, log it, then take it back out, log it, put it right back in the same cache and log it again. The TB never moves.

I have a lot to do without getting worked up over GC but I just wonder why someone would do that.

They put it in the cache, log it, then take it back out, log it, put it right back in the same cache and log it again. The TB never moves.

In the case of bug TBKT3P, it wasn't in the same cache, it was a dozen or so different caches. The bug gained mileage each time. I don't fully see the point myself, but I see it quite a bit. Nothing to worry about.

i just recently logged 12 in and out of a few caches around the state, they were part of a class project. I picked them up and logged there travel with me. As far as in and out of the same cache by the same person, maybee they are going on trips with them? or they take the TB out of the cache to make room for something else? Other than that I have no clue.

Folks around here call it dipping: You carry a TB with you on a caching outing and log it into and back out of several caches. The only purpose is to fill in spaces on the TB map. Seems harmless to me, and all the activity may be fun for the owner.

I picture TB owners as being like the wives of Moby Dick-era whaling captains, treading the widow's walk waiting for news or a sighting of their beloved. Owning TBs is a lonely business, and so many TBs disappear without a trace. Tragic really.

If I do a trip and find 10 or more caches, I might take a TB with me, and log it in and then out of all the caches I visited. At least they get some mileage, rather than disappearing, or sitting in a cache for a few months.

I had a personal travel bug that I logged in an out of over 400 caches. I finally got tired of doing this, and set him free.

I can understand doing this once in a while, especially if you have a TB with a goal you know you can help, but not immediately.

For example: I now have a TB whose goal is to visit waterfalls. I'll be going right past a famous one in about three weeks. But rather than just hold it all that time and have the TB owner fret about where his little critter is, I might log it into and out of a close-to-home cache in the meantime. The TB gets the miles, the TB owner gets reassuredthat his TB is still active, and nobody gets inconvenienced.

No bad side at all, in other words.

But logging one into/out of 10 caches in one day? That seems weird.

I have allways thought and abbided by the issue that a TB was to be moved from point to point by seperate individuals as to allow the bug to move whilst contacting as many seperate/individual people as possable!

The thoght that someone would log a TB in and then out and then move the same TB again to a new Position is beyond any sane act [Edited by moderator] :blink:

Edited by Keystone

When I've picked up a TB but am not dropping it right away, I'll log it in and out of the caches it visits with me. Like others have mentioned, it racks up mileage (and it's accurate since it was with me during my visit to the cache) and offers some reassurance to the TB owner that it's alive and well. I also try to take some pictures of the TB. I've gotten notes from owners thanking me for my efforts with their bugs, so I keep doing it.

The reason I may not drop something right away is only because I plan to drop it somewhere else closer to its goal, or where it would receive more traffic and opportunity to keep moving. I usually drop the bugs within 2 weeks. Well, except for the one I have now, which I've had for 3 due to rain and snow -- In which case I posted a note to let the owner know why I haven't cached or why I chose not to drop it in the only one I did visit since picking it up (very little traffic, on a mountaintop). That owner also thanked me for letting him or her know the status.