Excited About My New Cache... What Do You Think?

Jeonlyep

I'm so excited about my new cache that I can't wait for somebody to find it. So as a way to pass some time before it's found I thought that I'd talk about it here. So give me some feedback on your thoughts.

Take it easy on me, I've only got 108 finds, so I haven't seen a bunch of caches. But I had to ask about this new cache I've hidden. Because I haven't seem one like it. The area that the cache is hidden is a rocky out crop in a hillside (no trees). There is a very small cave (for lack of a better way to describe it) with an opening about 5 inches wide at the top of the "cave". I drilled a 1/4 hole through the rock next to the opening and into the "cave". I tied fishing line to a micro container that I had. I then fed the line back up through

the hole and tied it to a hoop that I J-B welded to the back of the penny.

The finder will pick up the penny, see the fishing line, and be able to

reach through the opening to retrieve the cache container. What do you

think? Anyone heard/seen a cache like this? I hope that I did a good enough job

describing the cache, if not I guess that you'll just have to come to

western Kansas and find it.

I'm sure something like it has been done somewhere, by someone. But I've not

seen it. Let me know if you have. Thanks.

Lucky Penny (GCR4A7)

DAryl

Cimarron, KS

Jeonlyep@ucom.net

Sounds very creative. I only wish you had figured out a way of putting it together that didn't involve permanently altering the area where you hid the cache.

Caches may be quickly archived if we see the following (which is not inclusive):

{snip}

Caches that deface public or private property, whether a natural or man-made object, in order to provide a clue or a logging method.

Other than I'm not sure which of the following guidelines this violates:

Caches that are buried. If a shovel, trowel or other “pointy” object is used to dig, whether in order to hide or to find the cache, then it is not appropriate.

(or)

Caches that deface public or private property, whether a natural or man-made object, in order to provide a clue or a logging method.

...Sounds interesting.

(Blast that Powerpuff Approver, beating me to the punch!)

Edited by Team Perks

Sounds very interesting. I'm new to the sport, with only 16 finds. But enjoyed every single outing. It's bad to admit it but i'm hooked already. You put alot of thought into this cache. I'm amazed at just how much time and detail go into all of the caches out there, (hence the reason we all get hooked). I'm unfortunately quite a distance from kansas so i will be unable to make a trip down anytime soon. I will keep an eye on the logs to see what people have to say about your cache.

Good luck with your newest.

I should clarify, I didn't really "drill" a new hole. But, I did enlarge a naturally occurring hole to get the line through. Bad word choice. Well I didn't mean to cross any caching etiquette, or to get my local reviewer into trouble. I just thought it was a good idea.

DAryl

Cimarron, KS

Edited by Jeonlyep
Caches that are buried. If a shovel, trowel or other “pointy” object is used to dig, whether in order to hide or to find the cache, then it is not appropriate.

(or)

I'm not trying to be troll here but I'm curious about one thing.

Why is this bad and why are fire tacks ok?

In both cases a pointy object is used. I guess with tack you could say you could pull them and the tree would grow back around the hole.

I'm not trying to be troll here but I'm curious about one thing.

Why is this bad and why are fire tacks ok?

In both cases a pointy object is used. I guess with tack you could say you could pull them and the tree would grow back around the hole.

Firetacks just go into the bark and don't reach the cambium or heartwood of the tree, nor do they leave a visible mark.

The cache sounds wonderful--clever and creative with a nice surprise payoff for the finder. Congratulations! You done good, no matter what the *PETR members say.

We've found a few suspended caches (high in the trees suspended by para-cord, deep in a mine hung by a chain, and over the bridge at the end of a fishing line) and they've all been great fun.

*People for the Ethical Treatment of Rocks

I should clarify, I didn't really "drill" a new hole. But, I did enlarge a naturally occurring hole to get the line through. Bad word choice. Well I didn't mean to cross any caching etiquette, or to get my local reviewer into trouble. I just thought it was a good idea.

DAryl

Cimarron, KS

Drill or enlarge. Tomato-Toma(e)to. It's all the same. :rolleyes:

But you're thinking out of the (cache) box and that's a good thing. ... Just maybe next time you'd want to drop your Approver a line asking about something that is new. ;)

;)

I think it sounds like a great idea. Enlarging a hole in a rock is not the same as sticking some sort of metal into a tree, you're not killing the rock. Besides fossil hunters go out with their little hammers and break rocks all the time looking for all sorts of little fossils. He didn't kill or break the rock, the hole would have gotten larger anyway.

I think it sounds like a great idea. Enlarging a hole in a rock is not the same as sticking some sort of metal into a tree, you're not killing the rock. Besides fossil hunters go out with their little hammers and break rocks all the time looking for all sorts of little fossils. He didn't kill or break the rock, the hole would have gotten larger anyway.

Fossil Hunting is not covered under GC guidelines. If he's fossil hunting, cool. But if he's placing a cache and wanting it listed on GC, there are rules/guidelines (2 things that mean the same) to follow.

S/he asked, I answered. Other than that detail, I like the cache idea.

:rolleyes:

Fossil hunters break rocks, deer hunters screw climbing spikes into trees, rock climbers place bolts into rock faces, off-roaders create rutted trails and gullied hillsides... But for better or worse those are all established activities. And some areas ban those sports exactly because they do these things.

The bottom line is that we're at the mercy of the land managers. If they think we're damaging the parks and public lands they manage, the easy solution is to ban geocaching. That's what happened with the National Park Service. Someone placed a container in a National Recreation Area, rangers found it, and the word got spread around in internal documents that this new sport involved 'burying' containers in parks. Since the idea of some treasure hunter burying things and others digging up the landscape looking for their containers is at odds with the NPS mandate, the immediate response was to ban the activity. Nevermind that the container the rangers found was not actually buried and no one was digging anything up in their searches.

So we need to be aware of our impact when we place containers, both during the process of hiding them and when folks search the area looking for the cache. We're the new kids on the block, and still have to prove ourselves to the people who make the rules.

Ron/yumitori

To heck with the rock, did you deface the penny? That could net you some time in the pokey:

United States Code

TITLE 18 PART I CHAPTER 17

§ 331. Mutilation, diminution, and falsification of coins

“Whoever fraudulently alters, defaces, mutilates, impairs, diminishes,

falsifies, scales, or lightens any of the coins coined at the mints of

the United States [...] — Shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than

five years, or both.”

Fossil Hunting is not covered under GC guidelines. If he's fossil hunting, cool. But if he's placing a cache and wanting it listed on GC, there are rules/guidelines (2 things that mean the same) to follow.

S/he asked, I answered. Other than that detail, I like the cache idea.

:blink:

Ok so he was out "Fossil" hunting and had to drill a hole in a rock to look for "fossils" when he realized what a great place this was to put a cache and the "hole" was already there from him looking for "fossils".

You say Tomato I say Pot roast.

Edited by justinwall

Funny that everyone criticizes the cache because the hider may have made a small modification to an existing hole in a rock. I'd have much more concern about muggles. How accessible are these rocks? Are "muggles" going to be climbing on them? If a "muggle" saw a penny wouldn't he/she pick it up and put it in his/her pocket? Good luck with your cache. Its a neat idea, but I'm not sure how it will work out.

I don't see how drilling or reaming a ¼" hole in a rock can be considered defacing. The geological forces of "the rock cycle" are doing far more damage than that little hole. I am assuming that it was not done in a prominent spot but even if it was I could not get too excited about it.

And I really can't get excited about the penny. Who could possibly care about a penny?

Good job with your cache placement. I hope you can let the criticism posted here roll off your back. If your coordinates get people close enough to find the penny they are going to love this hide.

That's called reaming.

I like it. Reaming, that's what it was!

Makes me want to take a trip to Kansas.

:blink:

That's the idea. Thank you.

To heck with the rock, did you deface the penny?  That could net you some time in the pokey:

Oh-No, I scratched the back of the penny to give a rougher surface for the J-B weld to grab on to!?! I'm going to be running off to hide from both the geo-police and the FEDS!!!

How accessible are these rocks? Are "muggles"  going to be climbing on them?

With the cactus and the lack of anything else in that area. I don't see many muggles just wandering around. But it is close enough to a point of interest to give a person a reason to be there.

I hope you can let the criticism posted here roll off your back.  If your coordinates get people close enough to find the penny they are going to love this hide.

Quack quack.

Thanks

The cache sounds wonderful--clever and creative with a nice surprise payoff for the finder. Congratulations! You done good, no matter what the *PETR members say.

We've found a few suspended caches (high in the trees suspended by para-cord, deep in a mine hung by a chain, and over the bridge at the end of a fishing line) and they've all been great fun.

PETR -- That's sort of like PETA right? People Eating Tasty Animals?

Edited by Thrak

PETR -- That's sort of like PETA right? People Eating Tasty Animals?

I hope it's not "People Eating Tasty Rocks"!?!?!?

Cause if there's trouble with me "reaming" a hole in a rock, then there's BIG Trouble with me eating one!?!?

DAryl

Edited by Jeonlyep
Big wide open space...looks like a good place for a regular-sized cache, or at least a small cache.  B)

atdpointofrocksdodgecityks.jpg

All of Kansas looks like that. Wide open spaces anyway.

:anibad:B)B)

I looked at that and thought immediately of Eastern Montana / Western North Dakota. That's the only place I know of where the blip on the horizon is the back of your own head!!!

Dadgum, it's killing me to get a find on this thing. My last cache hidden took 12 days to get a find. Not enought cachers here in western Kansas. But, if someone else hides something then everybody goes looking for it. I've only had a few first to finds.

Time moves slow waiting.

DAryl

Edited by Jeonlyep
To heck with the rock, did you deface the penny?  That could net you some time in the pokey:

United States Code

TITLE 18 PART I CHAPTER 17

§ 331. Mutilation, diminution, and falsification of coins

“Whoever fraudulently alters, defaces, mutilates, impairs, diminishes,

falsifies, scales, or lightens any of the coins coined at the mints of

the United States [...] — Shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than

five years, or both.”

This only applies if the coin is going to be used as legal tender or spent. Otherwise, you could not use a penny or quarter smasher at Walt Disney World.

I'm a Texan living in exile in Kansas. And it's a 4+ hour drive one-way according to mapquest, not 3. Still I've always wanted to see Dodge City. But I will need to arrange to bring supplemental oxygen since that cache is located on what qualifies as one of the highest mountains in this state. :D

If Houston is the Armpit of the Universe (and I agree, it's a damp smelly dark place), then Kansas is the Smooth Furry Underbelly of the Universe. And Wichita is the navel.

And it's a 4+ hour drive one-way according to mapquest, not 3.  Still I've always wanted to see Dodge City.

I was just going with the fact that I can be in Wichita in about three hours. Mapquest is always slow. But yes get the Big bottle of O2, or bring more than one, it's a long hike up to the cache! When you do head this way, drop me a note, I'll give you the insiders guide for things to do in Dodge City.

DAryl