First Timer To Gps

chromeboy

I am new to the world of GPS and am looking to purchase my first handheld GPS unit. I really don't know anything about them and need some advice as to what to look for, what to avoid, what brands are good/bad, etc. Any help is GREATLY appreciated. Here is a quick rundown of what I would like:

-Ability to save a location at which I’m standing as a waypoint.

-Ability to enter a waypoint based on coordinates given to me by someone.

-A map display, not just the compass display.

-Ability to upload/look at maps on the GPS screen.

-Ability to plot routes, distances, etc.

-Under $200 (preferably)

Like I said, I’m new to GPS’s and this might all be standard stuff. I’m not sure. I don’t need anything fancy and I’m not brand specific. It will be used mostly outdoors…. hiking, climbing, camping, hunting, fishing, etc. Some of the units I am looking at are:

-Magellan eXplorist 200

-Lowrance iFINDER Pro GPS

-Garmin eTrex Legend GPS

Also, possibly looking at the Garmin Rino 120 GPS/Radio combo as I use the walkie-talkie a lot too.

Any comments/advice you can give would be great. Thanks!

I am new to the world of GPS and am looking to purchase my first handheld GPS unit. I really don't know anything about them and need some advice as to what to look for, what to avoid, what brands are good/bad, etc. Any help is GREATLY appreciated. Here is a quick rundown of what I would like:

-Ability to save a location at which I’m standing as a waypoint.

-Ability to enter a waypoint based on coordinates given to me by someone.

-A map display, not just the compass display.

-Ability to upload/look at maps on the GPS screen.

-Ability to plot routes, distances, etc.

-Under $200 (preferably)

Like I said, I’m new to GPS’s and this might all be standard stuff. I’m not sure. I don’t need anything fancy and I’m not brand specific. It will be used mostly outdoors…. hiking, climbing, camping, hunting, fishing, etc. Some of the units I am looking at are:

-Magellan eXplorist 200

-Lowrance iFINDER Pro GPS

-Garmin eTrex Legend GPS

Also, possibly looking at the Garmin Rino 120 GPS/Radio combo as I use the walkie-talkie a lot too.

Any comments/advice you can give would be great. Thanks!

You may be better off with a separate family radio service (FRS) two - way radio. I t will work better as a separate unit. As for caching, the idea of having all of your detailed cache listings on a PDA is great, but if it's a plain PDA, you will need a good GPS device for navigating to the cache. I'd recommend the Garmin 60CS. It is a rugged unit and has a great auto-routing feature built in. I personally have opted for the iQUE M5. Expensive, yes, but it has led me to many caches. And it's routing features with a great map database work well. And all the features of a PDA. When I reach the cache site, I use the built in MP3 recorder to record all the info about finding the cache - no worrying about writing things down.

Kim Warner, Jr.

Basssax,

Columbia, MD

I know that your price range is 200, but for 299 I just recently purchased a Garmin GPSmap 76s - and so far I love it! Amazon.com really came through for me - though i took a risk and ordered it "new" but still from one of the resellers in their "used" catagory. Always check with the shipper via mail that the package was unopened, and also which basemap comes pre-loaded.

Garmin has a comparison chart which I found extremely helpful -

Garmin Product Comparison

Note: you can only select 10 at a time - I suggest kicking your screen resolution to 1280x1024 if it isn't already for excellent viewing. make good use of your browser's "back" button to de-select units you want to filter out

Hope this helps!

-pop

At the moment you could get a real bargain with Lowrance iFinder H2O. As I mentioned here

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=112858

Page Computers droped the price on H2O and you can by it along for $128.17:

http://newsite.pagecomputers.com/store/pro...uct%5Fid=633541

or as a Plus package (with Topo mapping software, 32 MB memory card and a card reader) for $193.61:

http://newsite.pagecomputers.com/store/pro...uct%5Fid=633544

iFinder H2O is the newer model than Pro and main difference - it's waterproof (IPX-7).

As I was reading your list of requirements, I was thinking "The Garmin Legend is just what you need." I'm glad to see it on your short list. I would also consider the Garmin GPSMap60 (the 60C or 60CS would be great too, but are not within your price range).

As to the Rino, it is a good GPSr and a pretty good FRS radio. Its real strength is when hiking in hike with another Rino user. You can have the units plot both of your positions so you always know where your hiking/hunting partner is. If you travel with other Rino users, its great. Otherwise, it isn't particularly special (IMHO).

How is the Lowrance iFinder H2O compared to other similar units?

It's one of the best units, but I would recommend you to read this review of H2O by Briansnat:

http://www.todayscacher.com/2005/aug/reviews.asp

He also compared it to Meridian Gold, Garmin 60CS and a Geko 201.

Another sources of information is Yahoo! iFinder Group:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ifinder_gps/

and manufacturer:

http://www.lowrance.com/Outdoor/Products/ifinderh2o.asp

Edited by Hoary

Hi, I'm Flatfisher from the Netherlands. I'm using a GPS (Geko 201) for two years now. First use was for fishingspots at sea in combination with a Humminbird fishfinder to locate underwaterstructures at appr. 15 m deep (about 45 ft I guess). Later on I came involved in geocaching and build my own GPS-adapter to my bicycle. Now I also use it as a bike-computer, measuring distances, time traveld, average speed, max speed etc. Also sending and loading tracks from/to my pc (Oziexplorer!).

My advice: make sure you get a gps with pc-connectivity. Look up the retail-prices of these cables availeble to you. What I mean to say is that a original cable and USB-adapter (my laptop doesn't have COM-port!) would cost me about €60 (US$ 70?!). That is more than I paid for my Geko 201 (second hand!). I bought my cable from a Ebay-shop for €12,00, have to order a converter for €16,00 at an online computershop and there I am!

Some units are sold with this cable, some aren't! Eventually, you would like to have one too!!

If you don't need digital maps in your handheld GPS, I think a Geko 201 would be really great because its small dimensions. And I can't imagine why one need mapping power in a handheld GPS, but than, the Netherlands are small, flat, crowded and 70% of the lands surface is covered with asfalt...

Have fun!

Flatfisher

For the price, and what you're getting. You can't go wrong with the H2O.

The major things I look at:

1. You want AA battery power instead of non-standard battery packs.

It's kinda nice to be able to pull more batteries out of the pack and keep going.

2. Track storage is important to me. I've found that all lowrance GPS's rule over all Magellin and all Garmin in this regard. I haven't seen one that can match the lowrance. But the lowrance does not store altitude, or date/time in the track points, which some users want. Myself, I need the extra points.

3. External antenna jack for driving around in the car, or in thick forest canopy.

4. Screen. The bigger the better. 2 color Black/White or Grey shades?

Nearly any mapping unit on the market will fulfil your criteria. Of the three you are looking at, the iFinder H20 is probably the best choice. Its a great unit and I think the price has come down since the color version was released. Under $200 for the Plus package is an incredible bargain. The Lowrance units were a good deal before the price drop. Now they are a must buy.