Has Anybody Used Any Of These Palm Pilots

I have been searching for a palm pilot and these are what I have come up with. Has anybody used any of these. I was given some advice what to look for like make sure it has a cradle, slot for memory card. The cheapest one I found was Palmone IIIx hand held for $25.00. It has everything that I was told to look for. Or should I go with something else. Also how would I know if the software to use for GeoCaching will work with any of these units. I almost forgot another thing about how many caches can I fit on 4MB. Thanks for all the help. Russ

PalmOne IIIx Handheld $25.00

Open expansion slot for possible add-on hardware and memory upgrade cards

What's in the box: Palm IIIx, Stylus, 2 AAA batteries, HotSync cradle with serial cable, DB-25 adapter, Protective cover, Organizer and Desktop applications, Handbook

Enhanced LCD screen for improved viewing at angles and in both dim and bright light

4 MB storage capacity

Infrared transceiver

PalmOne i705 Wireless Handheld $59.99

Built-in Secure Digital expansion card slot

Integrated wireless connectivity in a slim package

Send and receive corporate and personal e-mail and get access to the Web without an external modem

Stay in touch with AOL Instant Messenger

8 MB memory stores thousands of contacts, appointments, to-do items, and notes

PalmOne IIIc Personal Handheld Organizer $85.00

8 MB RAM stores thousands of addresses, to-do items, memos, and more

Beautiful high-contrast TFT color display; includes extensive suite of color-enhanced applications

Long-life rechargeable lithium-ion battery

Easily transfer data from your handheld to your PC or Macintosh

What's in the box: Palm IIIc, lithium battery, synchronizing HotSync cradle, protective flip lid, battery charger, metal stylus, organizer software, handbook, Palm's Getting Started guide, and a DB-25 adapter

PalmOne m125 Handheld $59.99

8 MB memory--stores thousands of addresses, phone numbers, appointments, and to-do items

New Secure Digital/MultiMediaCard expansion slot for additional memory and functionality such as a dictionary/thesaurus, games, and more

Link to Microsoft Outlook for synchronizing data and downloading e-mail (Windows only); compatible with Windows and Mac

Comes with add-on software, including MultiMail SE (for e-mail), AOL for Palm, DataViz Documents to Go, Palm Reader (for e-books), AvantGo (for Web content after synchronization or with Internet connection)

What's in the box: m125, USB HotSync cradle, a stylus, a protective flip-cover, and two AAA alkaline batteries

PalmOne m130 Handheld $89.95

Windows and Macintosh compatible--includes desktop software for both platforms

What's in the box: Palm OS 4.1, USB cradle, rechargeable battery, and add-on applications including Documents to Go, powerone Personal Calculator, MultiMail, and Palm Reader

Bright and easy-to-read color screen with support for 58,621 colors

Built-in 8 MB memory stores thousands of contacts, appointments, to-do items, and notes

Expandable via Secure Digital and MultiMedia cards--add memory, applications, and content

PalmOne m500 Handheld $59.95

Built-in 8 MB memory stores thousands of contacts, appointments, to-do items, and notes

New, advanced monochrome LCD screen makes it easier to see in dim light and in bright sunlight

New Secure Digital Card/MultiMediaCard expansion slot for additional memory and functionality such as a dictionary/thesaurus, games, and more

Native USB cradle allows faster HotSync operations

PalmOne m505 Color Handheld $69.95

Displays over 65,000 colors--view photos, video clips, and more

SecureDigital/MultiMediaCard expansion slot for additional memory and functionality such as a dictionary/thesaurus, games, and more

USB cradle allows faster HotSync operations

PalmOne m515 Color Handheld $119.99

What's in the box: Palm m515 handheld, USB HotSync cradle with built-in battery charger, Getting started manual, Palm Desktop software and bonus software, Complete documentation, Protective flip cover

Palm organization and style at an affordable price

Easy to learn and use--even if you've never used a handheld before

Mini-USB connector allows easy transfer and backup to computer

Keeps addresses, appointments, and important information safe and secure

I've had a PalmOne IIIxe w/8MB for over a year and for the price it is all I need for caching. I have about 1,000 caches loaded using about 1.6MB. So the PalmOne IIIx should do you well. I would think the number of cache listings depend upon individual file sizes so it could vary widely. For the $35 I spent for it on EBay I don't worry about carrying it into the field. I'd hate to lose an expensive PDA or have it ruined by getting it rained on, dropping it in the mud, or off a cliff.

The $8 for CacheMate, and $20 I sent to Clyde for GSAK, is the best investment I've made and paperless caching is the way to go.

Cachemate should run fine on any of those. I used it with the IIIx and it held, well, an awful lot of caches (I don't really remember how far I pushed it). About the worst trouble you would run into is if you are somehow sloppy in your data management such that every once in awhile you might have to do a little housecleaning. But, as long as Cachemate is all you run, I doubt it.

Of what you list, though, I would be inclined to get one with an SD card. That allows you to expand on it and keep darn near as much data as you could ever want. It would also allow you to use your PDA for other things. You *might* find yourself a little cramped for memory on the IIIx if you start to add other applications on the unit.

OTOH, for $25 you can hardly go wrong.

I have owned a Palm IIIxe and would recomend that to anyone. The 8 megs of memory is nice over the 4 megs in the Palm IIIx. Put a couple games on there for when you're bored:) I currently own a Handspring Visor Deluxe as my 'trashing in the woods' unit. Works great! Look around and you should be able to get a Palm IIIxes or a Handspring Visor Deluxe for 20-25 bucks.

I have the M515

I use it every day for real stuff

It always goes caching with me

I installed Cachemate to handle my caches

I currently have ~1800 caches on there and the program is at..

wait a sec while I check the resource page...

4566K for program, all caches and past 5 logs per cache.

Probably more than you need for strickly caching.

Has anyone looked at the new Zire 22? fpr caching ability??? $99 may be nice.

Has anyone looked at the new Zire 22? fpr caching ability???  $99 may be nice.

i wondered about this too, since it was only a little bit more than a cheap used model off ebay. i know nothing about palm so i wasn't even sure if this would work at all or if i could install soft on it (cachemate).

Edited by hogrod
I have the M515

I use it every day for real stuff

It always goes caching with me

I installed Cachemate to handle my caches

I currently have ~1800 caches on there and the program is at..

wait a sec while I check the resource page...

4566K for program, all caches and past 5 logs per cache.

Probably more than you need for strickly caching.

Has anyone looked at the new Zire 22? fpr caching ability??? $99 may be nice.

The Z22 looks to have close to the same specs as the TungstenE2 that I am using. Does not have the card capability but I do not see that as a problem unless you want to use it for music. I have over 1000 caches on the E2 and have used about 4mb of the 25 available. I bought the E2 about 4 months ago and would go for the Z22 at $99 now.

I've had a PalmOne IIIxe w/8MB for over a year and for the price it is all I need for caching. I have about 1,000 caches loaded using about 1.6MB. So the PalmOne IIIx should do you well. I would think the number of cache listings depend upon individual file sizes so it could vary widely. For the $35 I spent for it on EBay I don't worry about carrying it into the field. I'd hate to lose an expensive PDA or have it ruined by getting it rained on, dropping it in the mud, or off a cliff.

The $8 for CacheMate, and $20 I sent to Clyde for GSAK, is the best investment I've made and paperless caching is the way to go.

So what GPS do you use with the IIIx?

David

Palm m125. For me this palm pilot works well, but if you get this unit and dont have a charger, The memory is erased after 30 seconds. That why I have to use a SD card and a backup program. I have gone out many times and the memory is blacked out so I have to restore from the card. This is monocrome and does not run processor heavy programs very well. I have to some times pass on some programs as It takes many minutes to load. Copying cache pages to the memo pad, using hint decoder 1.1 and some other simple programs are good for me right now. I have come across I map program that almost locked the palm. The unit has a 33(what ever it is ,mhz?) processor so look up the programs you want to run before buying.

Edited by TXcachehunter
So what GPS do you use with the IIIx?

David

I use a Garmin Map 60C, and have my old backup Legend. Now, I use my GPSr separate from the Palm IIIxe, just as a PDA, for storing and displaying all the cache pages running CacheMate. Some friends interface their GPSr into a more capable PDA that holds topo mapping and displays their postion. I went with simplicity. Besides, my 60C has terrific color topo and City Select mapping for auto-routing.

Its alot cheaper than the Pocket PC I was going to get. Hmmmm $260 or $25 what to do. LOL

I couldn't make up my mind either.... So, I got both :rolleyes: Truthfully, the Pocket PC is more for business, but it is great for caching, especially if you can hit a hot spot and log your caches while on the road. Less to do later. You'll be happy with the Palm IIIx

Edited by PodunkPaul

I use the Palm IIIxe.. The eight meg storage comes in handy. I download

500 caches at a time.. (the max pocket queries will give you),

I also run mapopolis maps on the palm and I cable between the Garmin 76 and the Palm to put the "live" gps cords. right on the map. Not necessary but fun to see if you can make it work.

Oh and I have lost one palm and ruined one... so cheap is very nice..They were 45 on ebay a while back.. less now I would think.

wingryder

I have been searching for a palm pilot and these are what I have come up with. Has anybody used any of these. I was given some advice what to look for like make sure it has a cradle, slot for memory card. The cheapest one I found was Palmone IIIx hand held for $25.00. It has everything that I was told to look for. Or should I go with something else. Also how would I know if the software to use for GeoCaching will work with any of these units. I almost forgot another thing about how many caches can I fit on 4MB. Thanks for all the help. Russ

(CymSnip)

PalmOne i705 Wireless Handheld $59.99

Built-in Secure Digital expansion card slot

Integrated wireless connectivity in a slim package

Send and receive corporate and personal e-mail and get access to the Web without an external modem

Stay in touch with AOL Instant Messenger

8 MB memory stores thousands of contacts, appointments, to-do items, and notes

(Cymsnip)

The i705 is what I use for geocaching. It's an older unit, but rugged. It's not color, which is fine with me. I use Cachemate, and I regularly load it up with all my "not found" caches in Georgia, which is currently around 1180 or so. This takes up just over 4.2MB - I use GSAK to save prior logs, and I upload up to 15 logs to Cachemate.

I've never had a problem with the unit, even though it uses "non-removable" rechargable batteries. I've gone a few days without recharging it without a problem. The wireless feature has since been tossed out the window by Palm, so it doesn't work. No biggie - I have a blackberry for wireless access, though I don't use it often.

Best bang for the buck for geocaching, IMHO. I'd recommend that whatever unit you get has at least 8MB of RAM. The i705 is not the fastest unit in the world (compared to today's newer units), but for Geocaching it can't be beat.

The Palm T/X is the best palm ever! You can wireless internet, view photos, watch mpeg videos and movies (with a 2gig SD card), and has a decent battery life. Pocket Divx will shrink a DVD down to 250meg and it looks great on full screen! TCPMP player will play any mpeg, avi, or mp3 i have put on it.

Cachemate works good on it also. and Avantgo is good for saving pages for on the go.

Edited by bharper