Help Me With My Speech

Bjornian

...Teach them not to muggle caches.

Don't even bring that up, it may give people ideas. If you ask people not to do stuff, there is a segment of the population who will go out of their way to do it. College campuses have a large number of people like this. They are called 18 year old males. I know because I was one.

Edited by briansnat

also go to the main geocaching page and copy!?! the information they have on basic geocaching. Use that to build your presentation. Practice a few times, and take along some of the tools of the trade (GPSr, TB's, geocoins, mctrash, etc). Would also be good if you related one of your favorite hunts or finds. This will get and keep you excited to relate a personal story and keep the audience enthralled because you are enthusiastic with your subject.

Don't forget the side benefits of caching- health, fresh air, friends, gadgets, hail storms, muggles and the occasional squirrel fight <_<

HAVE FUN!!! and make it fun for them.

editted because I type like crap!

Edited by Jhwk

Make sure you know what you are talking about. Nothing ruins your credibility faster than fumbling around trying to find an answer or not knowing what you are trying to teach/tell them. If you don’t know simply tell them you don’t know. Someone will call you out with a tough question. KISS them - Keep It Simple Stupid.

Make sure you know what you are talking about.

If you're a geocacher, that part isn't hard.

Also, try to know your audience. What questions they might ask and so on..

I gave a presentation to around 15 or so of the Houston Metro Area Park Directors. It was at the request of my local park director.

At first I was worried about what to say or how to say it. I concluded that a big speech wouldn't work. I settled on handing out the Geocacher U material and some copied local news stories well before I began to speak. I made up a few index cards with important points I wanted to hit and began speaking by just covering the basics and opening the floor for Q & A. It went GREAT. The material generated quite a few of the questions as I'd hoped and I just passed by the index cards of points that had already been hit.

Take an experienced teaching partner if you can. I knew that a local, retired geocacher (ParkerPlus) would be a great addition to the discussion. He set up a couple hunts in the parking lot and across the street. He brought examples of different kinds of caches to go with my examples of cache swag and filled in all the spaces when I wasn't talking.

the groups has 5 males including myself. 3 are in the military (and think geocachers are a waste of the militaries time) the other one is a theatre major I have known for many years. The girls are very intereesting. Though I have only done 9 caches. I have logged somewhere in the area of 200-300 hours geocaching :-). I plan to have pictures of the tools of the trade (there is one boy who is a drunken klepto, he is one of the ones in the military). I just wasn't sure what path to take when tlaking about geocaching. I have to persuade them in under 5 minutes.