Pq Sort Order Bugs Me

mini cacher

I know its a small thing and they always say not to sweat the small stuff but....

I find it more than a little annoying (and even distracting) that every time I go to my PQ page to manage my PQs, they show up in a different order. I keep several PQs that I've actually never run and they seem to be in random order ever time I hit that page. But the ones that have run before are always in "last run" order at the bottom of the list.

Can't there be some kind of sort for the rest just so they are consistent? I would think either alphabetic or by creation date. Since we don't get to see the creation date (if it is even stored) alphabetic would make the most sense (probably for more reasons than one).

I would say I'll think about that as a last resort. But I'm not one to run that many PQs and I really don't want to add to the much talked about server drain by adding a few throwaway PQs.

After giving it some tohught I have a theory that the PQ list comes from t e data base sorted by last run date, ascending. With PQs that have never run, there last run date is either 0 or blank putting them first followed by the next in line ending with the most recent. But since they all have the same "last run" date, they kind of get put where ever the databse wants to (this is a typical behavior of DBs). Perhaps a secondary sort by PQ name would let the DB know what it should do with the rest.

I believe they're ordered first according to the time when they're created. Then, the order changes based on the last date and time when the query ran. So, all my "Never" queries that are just for online testing/searching are at the top, and the three queries I ran today are at the bottom. The ones I ran for a geocaching trip last weekend in a different state are just above those three, and so on. Makes perfect sense.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!! NNOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please put it back in the order they were run!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The OP was only asking for the ones that *had never run* (at the top of the list) to be in some set order. How about a secondary sort of alphabetical when the date (or lack thereof) is the same.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!! NNOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please put it back in the order they were run!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This was my initial thought, too.. (except with an acceptable number of exclamation marks.)

But now looking at the PQ page, I think I will grow to like alphabetical order better.

Jamie

I don't suppose you'd care to give us the option of switching between alphabetical and date/time last run (like it was)?

As was pointed out above, the OP just didn't like the indetermancy of the order for PQs never run.

Wow, that was a quick change. I think many of us were very used to the way it was. I can get used to the new way (and I think I like it better), but giving us a choice, perhaps with two ckeckboxes on the table header:
     |Name []sort............| Sun | Mon | Tue | Wed | Thu | Fri | Sat | Last Generated []sort.....

that would be useful.

By the way; thanks for the increase from 20 to 40 that can be stored in the table - that is very, very helpful for me. Thanks.

I'll change the sort to alphabetical.

Arrghhhhh, that sucks. Much preferred it the other way. I knew that the ones at the top were the most out of date so would pick them from the top.

Oh well.... You can't please all people all of the time, unless you put a sort by field option on the page.

Darn, I should visit this section of the forums more often so I could have put in my $.02 before Jeremy went to the trouble of implementing the change.

I also much preferred the other order (though I would have liked the sort to be reversed so that the most recently run queries were at the top saving scrolling down after each mouseclick when changing the days routine queries run). Oh, well, I don't spend THAT much time messing with my queries, so I guess I'll get used to it (once I rename my queries to separate the on-demand and routine queries anyway). :ph34r:

Edited by jon & miki

The beauty of the interweb is you can change it at will. I changed it back since there was far more of a stink to change it back than it was to change it in the first place.

At least you now know that there was a method to the display and that many people liked it.

Gee, I guess people really do get use to a method and want to stick with it. Kissing Jeremy's feet seems, well, a bit close to having dinner. ;)

I am going to speak out towards wanting alphabetical. Certainly I can live with it either way but having an alphabetical choice again would be nice. Personally I can tell when my caches have been run by looking at the date. It is less easy to for me to mentally do an alphabetical sort.

What really broke was when Jeremy increased the number of pocket queries you could save from 20 to 40. When it was only 20, who cared how they were sorted. It was easy enough to read through 20 rows to find a particular one. But 40 rows is pushing it and people now want it sorted. I apologize for being one of those who asked to be able to save more than 20 pocket queries. ;)

Thanks for putting it back the way it was. At the risk of starting the whole controversy over again though, is there any support out there for reversing the sort order so that the newest-run queries are at the top?

It's just another spot of laziness on my part, but when I'm changing schedules on the routine queries that run weekly, they are scrolled off the bottom of my screen, so when I scroll down and check or uncheck one of them, the refresh resets the scroll bar and moves the just-modified query off the screen again, then I gotta scroll down again to check/uncheck the next one or just to see what I've done.

Or maybe there's a way to have the refresh scrolled down to show the last query schedule that was modified?

In any case, this way is perfectly acceptable. I just wondered if the other sort order would be an improvement for others besides myself?

Jon

Thanks for putting it back the way it was. At the risk of starting the whole controversy over again though, is there any support out there for reversing the sort order so that the newest-run queries are at the top?

I just wondered if the other sort order would be an improvement for others besides myself?

Jon

I'd like that for just the reasons you stated.

However, it's not made optional that will be a problem (as we've seen).

And laziness is not a failing, it's a way to make sure machines do what humans don't need to do...

The OP was only asking for the ones that *had never run* (at the top of the list) to be in some set order. How about a secondary sort of alphabetical when the date (or lack thereof) is the same.

Exactly!

I never had a problem with the already run PQs being sorted by last run. My problem was with the ones that don't have a last run date. I was offline for the past week so I never saw the switch that was later reversed... but it doesn't sound like what I was talking about. I never intended to cause such a stir... but I still think the topic needs to be revisited.

Thanks for trying though.