Frustrated! New Problem

RideHrs

Oops..

To do that:

To associate a file with a program

Open My Computer.

Double-click a drive or folder.

Right-click a file, and then click Open With. If Open With is not available, click Open.

Follow the instructions under the option that matches the dialog box you see:

Open With--Recommended Programs list

Under Programs, click the program in which you want the file to open, or click Browse to locate the program you want.

-or-

Click the look for the appropriate program on the Web link to search the Web for a program to open your file.

Open With--No Recommended Programs list

Under Programs, click the program in which you want the file to open, or click Browse to locate the program you want. You can also type a comment that provides information about the file type. This information will appear in the folder window under Details when you view the file in a folder.

-or-

Click the look for the appropriate program on the Web link to search the Web for a program to open your file.

Cannot open this file

Windows cannot find a program to open the file. In the Cannot open this file dialog box, do one of the following:

Click Use the Web service to find the appropriate program. This enables you to search the Web for the program that will open the file.

-or-

Click Select the program from a list to choose a program to open the file in the Open With dialog box.

Notes

To open My Computer, click Start, and then click My Computer.

For some file types, you will right-click a file, point to Open With, and then click Choose Program.

To ensure that Windows always uses the same program to open the file, or any other file with the same file name extension, in the Open With dialog box, select the Always use this program to open these files check box.

It sounds like between the two topics you have started, you're trying to associate the file to download to the GPS. You can't do that. The .loc or .gpx has to be associated with a third party software that will manipulate the provided information and export it to the format the GPS can handle.

The software I'm using is what came with the GPS - MapSource. I think my problems started when I downloaded GSAK. Now when I try to download a waypoint to my computer it downloads as a GSAK file not LOC. I've uninstalled GSAK but for some reason it's still associated with those files.

I tried Ed's suggestion but to no avail.

Unfortunately Mapsource will not open a .loc file as downloaded from gc.com. You have to first open the .loc file with GSAK and then export from there with a Mapsource file format.

Another alternative is to open the .loc with EasyGPS from which you can then download waypoints to your GPSr but you will not be able to export from Easy to Mapsource other than through your unit.

You could also pay to become a premium member and be able to download from gc.com in the .gpx file format which will open directly in to Mapsource.

Olar

The current MapSource Beta version support .loc files, but not the .loc files saved by EasyGPS, only the files downloaded as .loc from GC.

I'm a bit confused by HarKanGeo stating he downloads a GSAK file from GC as there is no such thing. I think he means he downloads .gpx files which are not GSAK, but GSAK works best with them. Again, the current MspSource Beta version supports it; I don't think the prior versions did as I recall haveing to use EasyGPS to manage the .loc/.gpx files; uploading to my GPS; then, downloading from the GPS to MapSource.

OK Here's exactly what's happening. I go to GC, pick a cache, click to download the waypoint and the next screen is the File Download screen. It says:

Name: geocaching.loc

Type: gsak, 346 bytes

I could be wrong and it wouldn't be the first time but I don't think the "Type: gsak, 346 bytes" means much. A .loc file is still just a plain old .loc file. The fact still remains you will need GSAK, EasyGPS, or like Chuy pointed out, the recent beta version of Mapsource to open the file.

Olar

OK, I see where you get it. It's when you click on the .loc link; it says the file type is GSAK. My window shows TopoGrafix Data File. I don't know why and have never paid much attention to it. What matters is the next step when you click on "SAVE".

What file name is showing in that next window? It should have a .loc extension. Then, just save it in the folder of your choosing and use EasyGPS or MapSource Beta to open it. It that don't work, try the .gpx link. You'll be downloading a bigger file but only GSAK can display the other info.

Edited by Chuy

OK, I see where you get it. It's when you click on the .loc link; it says the file type is GSAK. My window shows TopoGrafix Data File. I don't know why and have never paid much attention to it. What matters is the next step when you click on "SAVE".

What file name is showing in that next window? It should have a .loc extension. Then, just save it in the folder of your choosing and use EasyGPS or MapSource Beta to open it. It that don't work, try the .gpx link. You'll be downloading a bigger file but only GSAK can display the other info.

The next screen after I click SAVE has filename: and save-as type: and the only 2 options for type are 'gsak' and 'all files' no .loc anywhere