Frustrated!

RideHrs

:santa: Wellll, have an eTrex Legend C and when I first started Caching everything went just fine BUT I've apparently been fooling around too much 'cause all the waypoints I've recently put on the GPS show the caches in the OPPOSITE direction (East instead of West etc.). My GPS settings are: position format: hddd.mm.ss.s map datum NAD83 I'm using MapSource (came with the GPS) settings there are: Grid UTM and Datum NAD83

Does anyone have any idea what's going on??? it's very frustrating. The older waypoints on the GPS are fine (the ones I put on it BEFORE I messed around!)

thanks in advance

HarKanGeo

Well, if you're getting your caches from geocaching.com, you might wanna try the format the site uses.

WGS84 datum

HDDD MM.mmm

That should be HDDD MM.SSS :santa:

Sax, IV is correct. It should be HDDD MM.mmm. There's really no such thing as HDDD MM.SSS.

But to the OP, your datum settings and coordinate format should have little to do with the behavior of the GPS which you describe. Actually, you describe very little. In order to figure out what's wrong, I think we'll need more information.

You're saying that when you enter the coordinates for a cache, it shows up in the opposite direction? Are these caches far away, or near?

Jamie

Well, if you're getting your caches from geocaching.com, you might wanna try the format the site uses.

WGS84 datum

HDDD MM.mmm

That should be HDDD MM.SSS :santa:

Sax, IV is correct. It should be HDDD MM.mmm. There's really no such thing as HDDD.MM.SSS

HDDD.MM.SSS or HDDD.MM.SS.S is incorrect as it translates to degrees.minutes.seconds. Geocaching uses degrees.minutes.decimal-minutes or HDDD.MM.MMM

HDDD.MM.SSS or HDDD.MM.SS.S is incorrect as it translates to degrees.minutes.seconds. Geocaching uses degrees.minutes.decimal-minutes or HDDD.MM.MMM

This is not quite right. You're putting extra decimal points in there. A number can only have one decimal point. Adding more is meaningless and confusing.

I think what you mean to say is that Geocaching uses HDDD° MM.mmm

"mmm" is the decimal part of minutes. Since the minutes themselves are not a decimal portion of degrees, there cannot be a decimal point there.

Jamie