My Profile Page Change

Blaidd-Drwg

I would suggest the ability to select to not include the three standard entry boxes, or at least the ability to suppress the titles The titles are a nice suggestion, but there are times when I would like to use the space for different areas.

As a side note, does anyone know if each text entry box has a size limit, or if the size limit is for the entire page?

I would suggest the ability to select to not include the three standard entry boxes, or at least the ability to suppress the titles The titles are a nice suggestion, but there are times when I would like to use the space for different areas.

I suggested this a while back, but couldn't generate much interest. I'd like to see the section titles be editable, rather than a few fixed categories that may not have anything to do with what people want to put in their profile.

As an alternative, try this. If you leave a particular section blank (news, for example) it will not show up on your profile. You can then use the following HTML to add a section by inserting it at the bottom of one of the sections that you have used:

<p><b>XXXXXX</b></p>

(replace the X's with whatever title you want. Add a colon to make it look official)

Paste it into a field that you are using (latest news, maybe) after the text for that section. Otherwise, it looks awkward. For example, I added a bookmark Lists section to my profile. I did this by adding the code above to one of the predefined sections (Hobbies, in this case) then put "Bookmark Lists:" between the tags. It looks something like this when I edit my profile:

"Hobbies

Any hobbies other than geocaching? Share them here."

Who has time for other hobbies when all of your spare time, gas, and money go toward caching...

<p><b>Bookmark Lists:</b></p>

Previously Owned Caches

DavidMac's Top 100....

You can repeat this as often as you want, up to the text limit (I'm not sure what it is)

edit: for clarification, and fixed typo in code

Edited by DavidMac

Thanks for the tip about leaving a section blank. I wasn't aware of that. However, let me throw a little bit of html at you for new section headings. Use <h1>xxxxx</h1> or substitute h2, h3, h4, h5, or h6 for the h1. This is the html for a header. The use of h1 will result in a large header, while the others result in a progressively smaller header. The header will also be Bold. Examples of the use of the header html can be seen on my current profile page, along with several tables. :blink: By the way, the header will automatically put a break in after the header, and you can then put in your paragraph notation or as in my case the table.

:blink: I just tried combining all of the three sections into one. It resulted in an error message that only 5000 characters, including HTML could be in a section. I guess I'll leave the three sections for now. There is a overall limit of about 6400 characters for the entire page. I received the error message for it several times.
However, let me throw a little bit of html at you for new section headings.  Use <h1>xxxxx</h1> or substitute h2, h3, h4, h5, or h6 for the h1.

That is all true, but the existing headers are only wrapped with <b>..</b> so if you're going for consistency, use that. :blink:

What does the <b> </b> do. I thought it was for indicating bold characters in HTML 3 and before. The <h1> header marker seems to automatically bold and enlarge the characters. On my profile page I've used the <h2> header format.
However, let me throw a little bit of html at you for new section headings.  Use <h1>xxxxx</h1> or substitute h2, h3, h4, h5, or h6 for the h1.

That is all true, but the existing headers are only wrapped with <b>..</b> so if you're going for consistency, use that. :blink:

That's why I suggested using <b> instead of <h1> or <h2>, because it's what the existing headers use. Of course, you can modify it to suit your preference.

Well, okay, the original page uses <span> while I used <p>, but you get the point. :ph34r: