Basic Geocaching Techniques

bozord

I'm pretty new to geocaching, and have found a couple in recent weeks. I've been using a GPS for about a year (for hiking and driving) and am pretty familiar with it's capabilities. However, when I was out looking for the cache, I found myself wondering what techniques experienced geocachers would use to actually get as close as possible to the cache. I own a Magellan Explorist 600, and downloaded the cache location to the GPS, then used DirectRoute to get me generally near to the cache, then switched over to Mapsend Topo 3D to actually get close to the cache. I did a "goto" using the downloaded cache location, and set my GPS to the map screen and down to the 100 foot view. I customized the fields showing on the map screen and chose "off track" and "distance to end". I then just got as close as possible, looking at the numbers on the "off track" and "distance to end" fields until it seemed like I was close. I ended up finding the cache, but I kept wondering if I should just be looking at the screen that gives the actual degrees, minutes and seconds as well as accuracy? Or should I be looking at the compass screen?

If anyone would be willing to share what technique works for them, that would be appreciated. It would just be nice to know what screens most people use, and what fields are best to be looking at. Thanks... :lol:

I am a complete newbie like yourself.

My first few trips I attempted to follow the cursor and arrow on my antiquated Map330 map screen. :drama:

I was spinning around in the woods like a top.

My 10yr old teammate commented " I don't think thats how they do it". :lol:

I had to believe he was correct, and started reading here.

I have since started using the compass screen with the distance to target active.

It seems much easier..and I don't get nearly as dizzy. :drama:

I'll be watching this thread for more tips.

Thank you Groundspeak members !

I've got my explorist 500 set to the map screen, with distance to final and bearing. I'm used to working that way in the field during search exercises, and the explorist has been pretty accurate for me-- I generally get within 4 to 5 feet of what I'm looking for, and I get the occasional bonus of a "zero" reading which is dead-on accurate. Gotta love when you're almost standing on the cache (or literally standing on the cache like I did one day, when I scrambled up on some mini logs and found the cache between my feet.)

Wow, this is exactly the information that I was hoping to get. It sounds like the compass screen is the best one to be looking at while following to the "goto". It does make sense to get as close as possible using this suggestion, then going to the screen with the actual coordinates until it matches the coordinates of the cache. Thanks everyone for your input! Similar to what Freebee & 007 reported, when I was out my second time looking for a cache, my 13 year old kept looking at me as if to say "I thought you knew how to use your GPS"!!

Thanks again.

Just my $.02. Although it is fun to see a distance of 0.0 to the waypoint, it really doesn't prove a whole lot. I have probably found as many caches with readings of 10-20 feet to waypoint as I have 0-5 feet. It all depends on the satellite reception, the model of GPSrz (both hider and finder), tree cover, atmospheric conditions WAAS and probably a lot more techo things I don't know about or have forgotten. My technique is to follow the GoTo arrow until I'm as close as the reading will get. Sometimes this may be 8 foot or more. When it starts increasing, I normally set the GPSr (Garmin GPSMAP60CS) down and start looking around. Again, since these aren't surveying instruments we're dealing with, expecting to reach 0.0 consistantly is almost impossible.

I'm still on my good ol' yellow eTrex. No maps.

I use the "map" screen to find a close one and then compass it to the area.

Then I start looking around ... and looking ... and looking ... and looking ... and looking ... and looking ...

... but I'm having fun, dagnabbit!

I have to agree 100 percent with Team Madog's explanation of all the variables that can affect finding a cache. I use the same GPSr and basically use the same technique of getting as close as I can. I use the Compass Screen with the Distance to Destination data field and start to walk a cloverleaf search pattern.

I was out yesterday searching for a cache and had poor satellite reception. This resulted in me being five feet away from the cache one minute and then seventy feet away the next. At that point I decided to use the old brain cells. I looked around and saw what seemed to be a likely hiding spot. Voilà!

Essentially, get as close as you can using your Distance to Destination data field and then start looking for likely hiding spots. :huh:

Team Madog is correct. I use the compass with Distance To display until I'm about 30ft away. The I start using my eyes more, occasionally glancing at the GPSr to make sure I'm going in the right direction. If I don't find the cache right away, I'll switch to the coordinate readout. I got burned during one of my early cache hunts by relying on the compass. I kept getting the distance as 0ft, then it would change to 15ft in the same place. I gave up and went to the coordinate screen. Found the cache right away at the posted coordinates. Sometimes when the compass screen shows you being on top of the cache, the coordinates indicate otherwise and the coordinates end up being correct.

Well being new myself and not knowing all the fetures of my Garmin Etrax Legand. Ive just been using the MAP and zooming in as I get closer and just walking towards the waypoint that on my MAP.

So I guess its easier to use the campass and fallow it the direction it says rather than useing the MAP and just kinda going to it ?

J

I also am using a Map330. When I get out of the truck, I use the goto function and map screen. I already have the proximity alarm set to 100 feet. When I get to close enough for the alarm to sound, I stop moving. I change to the compass screen and wait a minute or two to let the gps "settle down". I look at the heading and distance and try to figure where the cache is at. Once there I search around. If nothing within a couple of minutes, I stop moving around and look again at the compass for bearing and distance. Repeat until found.