New Cache Info Lost

tossedsalad

I was entering all the info for a new cache and while I was looking up some info my login timed out. When I clicked the submit button I was told to login and try again. Meanwhile all my information entered was lost!

I have seen other sites that retain the info you typed in while you login and then take you to the same form with all the data filled in ready for you to submit it again. Why does the new cache page have to forget all the info I typed?

I think I'll just wait until tomorrow. I was trying to get it done tonight so it might be ready tomorrow for cachers. But I am just too tired to type all that in again (and think it up again) :lol:

Edited by tossedsalad
I was entering all the info for a new cache and while I was looking up some info my login timed out. When I clicked the submit button I was told to login and try again. Meanwhile all my information entered was lost!

I have seen other sites that retain the info you typed in while you login and then take you to the same form with all the data filled in ready for you to submit it again. Why does the new cache page have to forget all the info I typed?

I think I'll just wait until tomorrow. I was trying to get it done tonight so it might be ready tomorrow for cachers. But I am just too tired to type all that in again (and think it up again) :lol:

killme6ip.jpg

I was trying to get it done tonight so it might be ready tomorrow for cachers. But I am just too tired to type all that in again (and think it up again) :lol:

If you wanted it to be ready for Sunday, you should have started before 10pm Saturday.

Wednesday or Thursday would have probably been more reasonable a time frame

When writing a cache page I will do one of two things: Either write up the long description offline and save it in a word processing document or, more often, I will write up a bare bones description with the coordinates, state, etc., and then go back later to add all the detailed text, html formatting, etc. When the cache page looks "just right," enable it so that a reviewer doesn't see it until it's ready.

... I will write up a bare bones description with the coordinates, state, etc., and then go back later to add all the detailed text, html formatting, etc. When the cache page looks "just right," enable it so that a reviewer doesn't see it until it's ready.

yea thats usually what I do. Just enter coords name etc, uncheck the 'is active' box then submit it, and later go back to edit and save changes. It usually doesn't take 40 minutes to type up a descrption itself, but i often end up doing some other task inbetween time. Then when its done recheck that 'is active' box.

If the descrption is really detailed ('lots' of html) I'll use my 'test' page to figure it out then copy and paste into a new cache form before submitting.

So does anyone know..

1) Why they need to timeout your login at 40 minutes? Am I using the server just by being logged in?

2) why the info can't be saved in the form while you login again?

The latter is what I don't get. I have gone to dozens if not hundreds of web sites where a form that is being filled out is checked for errors or you have to be logged in. When you click the button and there is a problem, you get the chance to resolve the problem, and are returned to a form that is filled out the way it was when you hit the botton!

I guess I should just enter the data and click submit to save it and then edit it and resubmit every few minutes until I am done. I am told the only one they see is the one where you selected the "Cache is active" check box.

So does anyone know..

1) Why they need to timeout your login at 40 minutes? Am I using the server just by being logged in?

2) why the info can't be saved in the form while you login again?

The latter is what I don't get. I have gone to dozens if not hundreds of web sites where a form that is being filled out is checked for errors or you have to be logged in. When you click the button and there is a problem, you get the chance to resolve the problem, and are returned to a form that is filled out the way it was when you hit the botton!

I guess I should just enter the data and click submit to save it and then edit it and resubmit every few minutes until I am done. I am told the only one they see is the one where you selected the "Cache is active" check box.

1) Yes, you are...every active session holds a spot in memory, which includes if you visit the web page and then close your browser, until the server times out the session, it's taking a spot in memory...given the volume this site has, I think 40 minutes is pretty generous

2) A trick that should work if this happens is to use the "Back" button...all your data should still be there. THen open another browser window to relog in and copy and past from one to the other.

Data can be saved in this way, but only if the session is still active. I don't know that any of them would be able to save the data from your form if you tmed out. GC.com does work this way if you enter bad data, but they can't do a thing once the data is gone from memory!

Nope, the back button does not do the job. The form seems to refresh itself. Like I said, I have seen dozens of web sites where the form remembers your information if you have to do login or do something else before you can submit it. If nothing else, it would be useful to just keep you in the form with all info intact and let you login in another window.

If other web sites have figured out how to do this, why can't GC.com?

Maybe because most forms you submit on the web are actually running locally on your machine, and then submit via email, whereas with GC.com you are holding open a location directly into their database? I dunno, but it sounds good! :lol:

Besides, with thousands of caches submitted every week, and only one complaint about the "problem" in the last year or 2, it doesn't seem like it's really a problem at all to most people.

I guess users here don't hold GC.com to the same sort of standard that other commercial web sites stick with. In reality there is little, if any competition to GC.com, so the users have little leverage to promote change.

Mopar, how do you know how many people don't like this "feature"? How do you even know how many have complained about it? Are you an employee or a reviewer?

I guess users here don't hold GC.com to the same sort of standard that other commercial web sites stick with.  In reality there is little, if any competition to GC.com, so the users have little leverage to promote change. 

Mopar, how do you know how many people don't like this "feature"?  How do you even know how many have complained about it?  Are you an employee or a reviewer?

I've been reading the forums almost daily since 2001. I actually started way before that, but didn't bother to register for an account until I had a question to post that hadn't already been asked. I've read virtually every post ever made in the general forums and the GC.com wed site forum. and have an almost Markwellian ability to remember everything I read. I'm also well versed in the use of the atb_search.gifSearch feature.

Your's used to be a fairly common complaint up until a few years ago. That's when they added the predominately displayed info:

Always keep a backup of your cache information.

You have a limited session timeframe (40 minutes). You'll need to enter your cache report within this time, or your session will end and your submission won't be sent. If you need more time, we suggest writing your report in a text editor and copying and pasting the text onto this page.

to the cache submission page. Once they did that, the posted complaints stopped. I guess most of the other cache submitters actually read the cache page and believe what it says rather then ignore the info and then complain about it when it happens.

Once again, it's not about matching higher standards. I seriously doubt any other sites you're thinking of that never time out are as large and database intense as this one is. Like I said, most forms on other websites are not interacting with a database on the remote server. The formyou see are just pretty interfaces that use your computer behind the scenes to email the requested info to them. The info is not going directly into the database like it is here.

Edited by Mopar
Write up your page with a text editor or a html editor and test it out on your browser. When it is done, just paste it into the form.

I use Microsoft's Front Page as my HTML editor, then copy and paste the HTML into the cache page submission form. Sometimes it takes me hours of tweeking and spell checking to get it right before I copy/paste/submit.

Ed

I seriously doubt that when I order something they are sending the info by email. In fact, I know for a fact that they don't do that. There are specific protcols for sending this information via the web.

I am also certain that the GC.com data base is nowhere near as large as the data base at any significant merchant site. 211315 caches are not all that many. I expect the entire data base can fit on a single hard drive.

Now the number of posts in the forums? That may be a different matter... You may have read them all, but that is not the only channel to register a complaint. Sure the number of complaints will be fewer now that they posted a message that in effect says, "we have a lame limitation, please deal with it".

But you ignore my real issue with GC.com on this. It is not the timeout, it is the fact that they lose your data when you make the submission. There is a lot more to filling out the form than just the description. What is it, some 25 separate fields which all have to be entered separately? This is what other web sites so much more effectively. I seem to recall that even the UPSP site can take you aside to deal with an issue and then let you resume your entry. I never thought I would see *anything* effective come from the USPS web site. :lol:

If GC.com had more pressure from its users, and by that I don't mean that the users need to scream and complain, I mean if GC.com felt pressure and responded to it more, this is one of the things that they would respond to. But GC.com only depends on the users in a very remote way and so can maintain the web site to suit themselves. This is a lot like the government. The government has to pay some attention to the tax payers, but not like Walmart does. You can't take your tax money to the competing government.

I guess this could sound like sour grapes, but I am really just thinking out loud and looking at why there are so many issues that GC.com has with its users. I think the main reason is the lack of an alternative. If I don't like Walmart, I can go to Kmart. There are other cache listing sites, but until they get more popular, they are not viable if you want to place a cache and share it with the masses or are looking for a cache to seek. Currently GC.com has an MS type of monopoly. I wonder if this will continue indefinitely?

Oh, btw, is the forum data base any smaller than the cache data base? I never seem to get logged out of the forums and I have started posts before and found the window waiting for me to click the submit button the next day. When I click it, the post is made as if I had just logged in and typed it all in.

One good habit to have when filling out forms on any web page: before you submit, highlight all the text and copy it to your clipboard. Then, if the submission fails for any reason, you can do it over and simply paste it back.

Jamie

Yes, I often do that. But as I said, there are many fields involved in submitting a cache page. Several of them are essay, some are multiple choice and there are a few T/F. There is no practical way to save all that info to eliminate all the retyping. Heck, even the coordinates are six separate fields.

I realized that one of the things many other sites do that GC.com doesn't is to remember who you are using cookies. I don't even have to log into the MD geocaching site, it always remembers me. I'm not saying that is what GC.com needs to do. I'm just saying that the nice way to handle the form issue is to not trash the data when you make the user log in again. It is a very common practice and would be a very useful thing to have on GC.com.

While I was out scouting new hides today, I realized that the Microsoft way would be to tell you how to work around the problem (like edit your text separately and copy it in, or download daily bug fixes to keep intruders out of your machine). Companies that care about their customers fix the problem so you don't have to work around it. Do you think GC.com should work to the M$ model or the company who cares model?

Regardless of all the "why is it this way?" whining, the fact is that at the top of the "Report a new cache" page it tells you of the 40 minute time frame. It also warns you to keep a backup copy of your info. Therefore if you do not finish in 40 minutes and you lose your data it would appear to me to be your own fault and not the fault of Geocaching.com.

The only field you have to copy is the main text field. Since you were warned before starting to fill it out, why complain?

What do you do with the other fields?

My complaint is that this is a silly way to solve the issue of filling in a form. If you were asked to fill your gas tank every day before you left for work because there may be a problem with the roads so that you idle the tank away, wouldn't you think that you should fix the road problem rather than to have to fill the tank every day?

I just think this is a poor way to address the issue of filling in a form. It is not user friendly and is very much like something that a second rate designer (any sort of designer) would come up with. I'm not trying to call anyone names, I am just telling you that I think this is a poor solution. So far everyone seems to think this is ok, but I can assure you that you would not tolerate something similar in most aspects of your life. People just seem to be willing to tolerate getting less from GC.com than they do the typical web site. What if your email program required you to write the email in a text editor and then copy it to the email? Isn't that a bit silly???

Is that so complicated? If I wanted to get into web design I am sure I could solve the issue myself as many others have already done. I just don't see why GC.com can't do it.

I'm not even talking about the timeout. If they want to limit logins to 40 minutes, fine. But fix the form so that the data is not lost if you miss the time limit by a second. That's all, just fix the form; fix the form; fix the form!

What, you've never had that problem with Yahoo email? I sure have. I couldn't begin to count the number of emails I've lost or had to retype.

Back to the GC thing...the other fields are pretty easy to repopulate. Just click the box or whatever. The only part you really should copy is the main text since it is really hard to retype it the exact same way unless your description is short. If you need more than 40 minutes, just submit the page with a minimal amount of text, then go edit the cache. You'll probably want to uncheck the "Yes, this cache is active" box. You'll get all the time you need to edit it. Problem solved.

Regardless of all the "why is it this way?" whining, the fact is that at the top of the "Report a new cache" page it tells you of the 40 minute time frame.  It also warns you to keep a backup copy of your info.  Therefore if you do not finish in 40 minutes and you lose your data it would appear to me to be your own fault and not the fault of Geocaching.com.

You can call it whining, I call it complaining about poor web design. Whatever, the problem remains and I will have to live with it. But I don't have to be silent about it. It is a poor design and calling my discussion of it whining does not change that.

But I still don't think you understand what I am complaining about. The issue is not the timeout. The issue is the poor design that causes the data entry to be lost. That should be easy to fix. Many other web sites have fixed it.

I am amazed at the sort of thing people will defend when they like the responsible party. GC.com is a great thing. But they do some things that are not so great. This is one of them.

Isn't this thread about done??? I don't see anything new being posted.

Isn't this thread about done???  I don't see anything new being posted.

It is an issue which is avoidable with

-the copy and paste feature

-posting only coords and basic info and checking the box to leave it inactive for a later edit

-saving it in other places

BTW-tossedsalad- Your avatar reminds me too much of Larry King ! :huh:

edit-speling erors

Edited by 4wheelin_fool
QUOTE (

But I still don't think you understand what I am complaining about.  The issue is not the timeout.  The issue is the poor design that causes the data entry to be lost.  That should be easy to fix.  Many other web sites have fixed it. 

I am amazed at the sort of thing people will defend when they like the responsible party.  GC.com is a great thing.  But thendotguy @ Oct 30 2005, 04:31 PM)

You can call it whining, I call it complaining about poor web design. Whatever, the problem remains and I will have to live with it. But I don't have to be silent about it. It is a poor design and calling my discussion of it whining does not change that.

y do some things that are not so great. This is one of them.

Isn't this thread about done??? I don't see anything new being posted.

It would be fine with me were GC.com revise its site to suit your complaint and I have no problem with you making a suggestion. My fault to your thread is it's automatic insinuation that there is something wrong with the site's design simply because you messed up. And yes I do understand. Apparently a whole lot of other people fill out this form, myself included, and have no problems doing so. One way or another we manage to complete it in a timely manner. This is all I have to say on the matter. (You can close this thread if you see fit).

I realized that one of the things many other sites do that GC.com doesn't is to remember who you are using cookies. I don't even have to log into the MD geocaching site, it always remembers me. I'm not saying that is what GC.com needs to do. I'm just saying that the nice way to handle the form issue is to not trash the data when you make the user log in again. It is a very common practice and would be a very useful thing to have on GC.com.

Um...yes, they do. When you log in, there's a check box that says to remember you. I haven't used my password to log in to the website from my home computer in over a year!

Without going into specifics, the process that would be used to remember information in this scenario (losing the session after a 40 minute time out) would require a lot of work. If you enter bad data, the site DOES remember what you typed and fills everything back in for you, with information about what to correct. The problem only comes when someone has taken more than 40 minutes to type in the information, which I think would be a significant minority. To put that much effort into redesigning a specific page in a specific scenario that affects so few, when there's such a simple workaround and so many major issues they're trying to correct, would be a waste of their time, IMO.

I realized that one of the things many other sites do that GC.com doesn't is to remember who you are using cookies.  I don't even have to log into the MD geocaching site, it always remembers me.  I'm not saying that is what GC.com needs to do.  I'm just saying that the nice way to handle the form issue is to not trash the data when you make the user log in again.  It is a very common practice and would be a very useful thing to have on GC.com.

Um...yes, they do. When you log in, there's a check box that says to remember you. I haven't used my password to log in to the website from my home computer in over a year!

Without going into specifics, the process that would be used to remember information in this scenario (losing the session after a 40 minute time out) would require a lot of work. If you enter bad data, the site DOES remember what you typed and fills everything back in for you, with information about what to correct. The problem only comes when someone has taken more than 40 minutes to type in the information, which I think would be a significant minority. To put that much effort into redesigning a specific page in a specific scenario that affects so few, when there's such a simple workaround and so many major issues they're trying to correct, would be a waste of their time, IMO.

Why would it be so much work when it already does it for the error case? I can think of one very simple way to fix it. Instead of trashing the page and asking the user to log in again, just pop up a login page and let the user login without trashing the page. Once logged in they can then submit the page and it will go though. I see many sites do this so how hard can it be?

When I am at work and I hear stuff like this I just want to say "give me the da** code and I will do it myself!" That is why I am writing my own debug code for the board I am building. That is also why I am likely to build my own GPS receiver early next year. I really like my Magellan Merigold, but it has some UI features that I get very tired of (not to mention the seriously slow redraw speed) and I know I can do better myself. So I will. :-P

Too bad I can't fix the GC.com site. :huh:

I am amazed at the sort of thing people will defend when they like the responsible party. GC.com is a great thing. But they do some things that are not so great. This is one of them.

I'm amazed that you'er saying everyone that doesn't agree with you is sucking up to gc.com. They do things I don't care for, but having a page that times out and dumps your info after 40 minutes doesn't bother me.

I think your probably right, gc.com doesn't receive much competive pressure. And so some of the things they do could be done different or 'better'. However, are you seriously saying that how long long people can take submitting a cache page is a big draw? I personally would rank it very low in importance, probably just above the color of the site background. I would suspect most people would rank it low as well.

Yea maybe it would be nice if the site never timed out making a few people retype things, but this is only a problem with what small percentage of user? I've lost things to my email because of messing something up (something gc.com wouldn't do), and the email does time out after a time (an hour or more). But I've never spent over 40 minutes writting an email. If I were to write something that long, I'd type it up in Word first (I may even just send it as an attachment). Word processing programs often have better formating options so I often find them easier to work with, maybe because they're made for typing. I think of email more for sending a message, not creating it (though I often use it that way).

I think of the submission form the same way. Its to get the info into a cache page not build/format the page. If you follow one of the simple suggestions given (dont go over 40 minutes, or type it out else where and copy and paste the text, or using a disabled 'test' cachepage), then the 'problem' doesn't happen and it doesn't need fixed. Maybe thats a kludge solution but even if all the people that have your same problem put on pressure I still don't think anything will happen because its just too minute a problem.

Something that I don't think has been mentioned, is that by simply unchecking the "Active" box, you can save your work at any time. You're complaining about the system not saving what you've typed, but it's given you a mechanism to save it whenever you want.

Anybody works on anything on a PC for 40 minutes, and doesn't save their work, deserves the consequences.

This issue happens with such rarity now that there didn't seem to be a need to anticipate the issue and correct it for you. However, since you have brought this up we can see how we can add an additional login page on the "report a cache" page so you can recover from your blunder.

Granted, many of the solutions provided are good ones and exist today, but Geocaching.com should be made as bullet proof as possible. Thanks for the suggestion. I can understand you whinging because it does suck when your form post is lost. But try not to be such an a** about it.

Did a test this evening. At 18:00 opened one of my listings for modifcation. Removed a punctuation character, marked the two check bokses, started my watch and sat down to view the news. At 19:00 I clicked the submit button. And modifications accepted. Yes, I have enabled cookies (see no problems with that).

Regarding design of my listing page, the gc-page is no alternative for me (Visual studio p.t). When I am happy with the design I do paste and submit to view the result at gc. And so far I have not been near timeout and have never regarded that as any problem. I do not see any problems here at all. None what so ever. :)

This issue happens with such rarity now that there didn't seem to be a need to anticipate the issue and correct it for you. However, since you have brought this up we can see how we can add an additional login page on the "report a cache" page so you can recover from your blunder.

Granted, many of the solutions provided are good ones and exist today, but  Geocaching.com should be made as bullet proof as possible. Thanks for the suggestion. I can understand you whinging because it does suck when your form post is lost. But try not to be such an a** about it.

Now I am confused. First you say I "blunder", then you say I am whining and you sum it up by using a personal insult; but somewhere in the middle you thank me for bringing it up. That is one of the most schizoid posts I have seen here.

If you think I am whining and an a**, why do you bother to reply to me at all?

This is the sort of cr*p that I expect from the general population since this is, after all, the Internet. But I expect a bit more professionalism from a GC.com representative.

I thought I presented my case with an even tone, used factual statements and tried to be as clear and as non-emotional as possible. The closest I came to calling anyone a name was to say that this sort of programming "is very much like something that a second rate designer (any sort of designer) would come up with". As I said, I did not mean that as a direct insult, I meant it as a comment on the "quality" of the workaround. I find your name calling to be very offensive. But then I guess there is no one to complain to is there?

My entire point was merely that dropping the data from a form on an error is poor programming. But so many people got emotional about it, including you it would seem.

Why can't people just discuss a thing like this without all the BS?

Granted, many of the solutions provided are good ones and exist today, but  Geocaching.com should be made as bullet proof as possible.

I'd just like to highlight this, so that all the people above who repeatedly told tossedsalad that he was wrong and that GC.com is perfect and doesn't need to be changed, and so on and so on would realize that there are plenty of times where something can be changed at GC.com to improve the experience for everyone (even those who didn't choose to use a seperate text editor or had something come up in the 35th minute or didn't know that making a non-active cache would save the work because it's not anywhere in the text that keeps getting quoted about a time limit).

All I ask is that next time before someone wants to post something like 'I'm sure all those other websites save your info then e-mail it in...i don't know but because this sounds good I'll use it as a counterargument to your questioning of GC.com's decision' or 'since you were warned, why complain...you messed up, live with it'...all I ask is that you be more aware of that those aren't useful responses. Suggestions on workarounds are much better and don't degenerate the way this did to the point that a perfectly valid query ends up to the point that Jeremy feels the need to be equally, if not more so, rude about the whole issue while at the same time thanking the original poster (hey we all know the site *isn't* perfect and if different things *aren't* implemented then there will need to be workarounds and tossedsalad should know what they are for next time if Jeremy were to deem the change undesirable).

This site isn't perfectly implemented. The owner acknowledges that and chooses to accept direct user input through this forum to help make the site better. That's one of the things that keeps me personally interested in how this site develops as it grows to fit community needs AND wants. It doesn't help *anyone* (problem/bug submitter, owner, the rest of us) to tell someone submitting a query like this that the issue should *have* to be dealt with by the user. Until Jeremy or one of the other coders says "There's nothing we can do" or "We choose to make it this way on purpose", then you're all just generating the very 'forum angst' that most of you rattle against elsewhere in these forums. In fact, the very reasonable first few posts in this thread by the topic starter devolved a bit because he got defensive and was having to answer to the rest of you and your off-base answers and accusatory posts.

Edited by ju66l3r
Did a test this evening. At 18:00 opened one of my listings for modifcation. Removed a punctuation character, marked the two check bokses, started my watch and sat down to view the news. At 19:00 I clicked the submit button. And modifications accepted. Yes, I have enabled cookies (see no problems with that).

There's the difference. The 40 minute time limit is for NEW submissions. When someone enters a new record to a database, the database holds that potential new spot open until it has its final submission.

There are MANY aspects of the site that do not work as I would expect it or would want it. I have found many work-arounds to what *I* perceive as difficulties. I would not be so bold as to insist that the site is broken, or needs to be changed to suit my needs.

Prime Suspect gave the best work-around to this.

...unchecking the "Active" box, you can save your work at any time.

Enter some coordinates and a name, then uncheck the "Active" box and click submit. That saves the record to the database, but it won't be reviewed. Consider that "saving the record" in the database.

As baø demonstrated, you can leave the form open as long as you want to edit it, and your work would be saved at the submit.

But what happens when someone kicks your power cord and your computer shuts off?

There's the difference. The 40 minute time limit is for NEW submissions. When someone enters a new record to a database, the database holds that potential new spot open until it has its final submission.

Speaking directly to the issue at hand now, this is something that I've never really understood (and probably stems from code used at a simpler time in GC.com history).

Instead of somehow reserving a spot in the database for the info from the form (which is, as it sounds like, the source of the 40 minute time limit), why not just present a form and only on submission of the page pull the new cache number (and other DB goodies necessary) to create the new record.

If it were to simply provide a submission form and only act on the backend after the user finishes entering all of their info (and fixing anything caught by a correction script), then there'd be no need for any time limits.

Just a curiosity and it may even be founded on misunderstandings.

... That's all, just fix the form; fix the form; fix the form!

If one does not wish to be called an a**, one should refrain from a**-like behavior.

I, for one, don't mind being called an a** because there are many times when I am, in fact, being an a**. If I am being an a** and I don't realize it, then it also seems appropriate to call me an a** so I am aware of it.

Did I beat the record for the most times to put "a**" in a single post?

This is the sort of cr*p that I expect from the general population since this is, after all, the Internet. But I expect a bit more professionalism from a GC.com representative.

You're right. My post was a tongue in cheek duplicating your tone of voice in previous posts. Now that you've walked a mile in my shoes maybe you would use a more civil tone in the future. But maybe not.

There is always room for improvement on the site. I'd also suggest there may be some room for improvement in diplomatic ways of bringing up issues in the future.

Some websites have a page memory and some don't. I don't know how it works or why but GC.com doesn't have a page memory. I've learned to edit my HTML outside the cache form and copy and paste when it's time.

When there is secure information I can see not having a page memory and maybe that's the reason this site doesn't do that. It takes no chances, but I don't know.

As an aside, if you have the same problem with everone, the problem isn't with everone.

Edited by Renegade Knight

For as long as I've developed server based web pages (asp & asp.net), session expiration has always been an issue and solutions hard to implement.

A session (as mentioned above) is stored on the web server (server) in an chunk of memory describing who the person is that is hitting the site. This information contains the User ID, Email Address and various other information about you. Each time you click a link or a button, the server verifies that you are currently logged in and have the correct permissions to view the page you are navigating to.

When a session expires and clears the memory contain this information and you click a button the server basically says "Sorry, I don't know who you are anymore". If you're posting data, like a new cache, the server no longer knows what account to associate with this submission.

As far as Databases go, no record is created and held on the database while create a new cache listing. The record is created when you click the "Report New Listing" button.

Google Mail is just now coming out with a "feature" that will save a draft of your email as you type. Yahoo's newest beta email is also working on this feature. This just goes to show that its an issue even for the 'big guys'. Now you may say, "Why can't you do this?!"and I'll reply back with.. "We're working on bigger stuff at the moment.." My Finds PQs, World API's (j/k)

Not to say that we won't come out with a solution at some point in time, but there are lot of hurdles that we haven't had the time to coding around yet.

Thank you and good night..

For as long as I've developed server based web pages (asp & asp.net), session expiration has always been an issue and solutions hard to implement.

I doubt 2 months is a very fair assessment of...ok ok, just kidding! :)

When a session expires and clears the memory contain this information and you click a button the server basically says "Sorry, I don't know who you are anymore". If you're posting data, like a new cache, the server no longer knows what account to associate with this submission.

As far as Databases go, no record is created and held on the database while create a new cache listing.  The record is created when you click the "Report New Listing" button.

Ok, so it's not as was first thought (whew...because that seemed like a sorta foolish scenario...lol). So here's a followup question that I'd be very obliged if you'd answer:

If (after not having accessed the database/server/website for 40 minutes) I click on a direct link to query the database (such as direct linking to a specific cache page) after having established a cookie in my browser cache by using the "Remember Me" previously, then a brand new session is created using my cookie'd login information. Right?

Couldn't this same thing be used for cache submission? If my login info is available (via cookie), then even if I outlast my session expiry time of 40 minutes on a single page (the submission form page), by clicking "Report New Listing" couldn't the server just give me a new session for the submission rather than toss out my POST'd form and complain about my old session timing out (also removing the need for a relogin)?

Thanks and Happy Halloween.

Couldn't this same thing be used for cache submission? If my login info is available (via cookie), then even if I outlast my session expiry time of 40 minutes on a single page (the submission form page), by clicking "Report New Listing" couldn't the server just give me a new session for the submission rather than toss out my POST'd form and complain about my old session timing out (also removing the need for a relogin)?

Actually it does do that. If you chose "remember me" on the login page it will do exactly that. From the OP I came to the conclusion that the user did not use the remember me checkbox so this solution wouldn't work for him/her.

Couldn't this same thing be used for cache submission?  If my login info is available (via cookie), then even if I outlast my session expiry time of 40 minutes on a single page (the submission form page), by clicking "Report New Listing" couldn't the server just give me a new session for the submission rather than toss out my POST'd form and complain about my old session timing out (also removing the need for a relogin)?

Actually it does do that. If you chose "remember me" on the login page it will do exactly that. From the OP I came to the conclusion that the user did not use the remember me checkbox so this solution wouldn't work for him/her.

Ok, great, thanks!

This is the sort of cr*p that I expect from the general population since this is, after all, the Internet.  But I expect a bit more professionalism from a GC.com representative. 

You're right. My post was a tongue in cheek duplicating your tone of voice in previous posts. Now that you've walked a mile in my shoes maybe you would use a more civil tone in the future. But maybe not.

There is always room for improvement on the site. I'd also suggest there may be some room for improvement in diplomatic ways of bringing up issues in the future.

I have no idea what you are talking about. You use a subjective term like "tone" and I have no way to know what you mean.

I feel my "tone" was proper at all times. If there was something you objected to you should explain what that is instead of lowering to the level of name calling. I don't know what mile you feel I have walked or what you are thinking because you haven't told me. Instead you make vague complaints about me not being diplomatic when my messages weren't even addressed to you.

The only thing I can think is that you feel this thread is a direct channel to you and every post is directed to you personally. But I can't make that assumption because you have not told me this is correct or not. All I get is that you are playing games instead of communicating. Ok, play your games Jeremy. Up until now I had expected that once you got into a thread the nonsense would go away. Now I know better.

I am pretty much done with this thread. When anyone here is actually interested in a *discussion* of the topic, send me a PM. Conversation in the forums is often a waste of time as it has been this time.