Cache-title 'sensitivity'

Now, I'm the first guy to laugh at a cache titled 'Are You A Number Ho?', even as I might have to creatively explain it to a 10-yr old...but am I the only one who has a problem with 'Dyslexics of the Wolrd Untie! ' and the oh-so-cute mis-spellings therein?  Racy is one thing;  out-and-out mockery another.

When I saw "Dyslexics of the World Untie!" on a t-shirt I thought it was funny. I still think its funny.

Edited by joinsmith97

I am quite proud of the fact that e-mails discussing some of my caches have confounded profanity filters in the recipients' e-mail. There's nothing wrong with a good double entendre. Outright vulgarity and other things that violate the site's terms of use are usually caught by the volunteer cache reviewers, unless the cache title is changed after publication.

Now, I'm the first guy to laugh at a cache titled 'Are You A Number Ho?', even as I might have to creatively explain it to a 10-yr old...but am I the only one who has a problem with 'Dyslexics of the Wolrd Untie! ' and the oh-so-cute mis-spellings therein?  Racy is one thing;  out-and-out mockery another.

Jeebus Cripes! Get over it already.....

(Uh, oh.... maybe I've been insensitive.......)

NOTE: I am not insensitive. Jeebus Cripes is the son of Gosh. He lives at 668 and is the neighbor of the beast.

Both are offensive

Maybe it's just in the eye of the beholder.

Inuendo, puns, "nudge-nudge-wink-winks" are fun (I think) to most.

I was first considering using the name "hidey-ho" for this group.

(lyrics (with pun intended) from a classic jazz tune)).

Maybe would get a smile.

Maybe would be considered offensive.

So, do you want to join in my business aimed at dyslexics?

A yellow pages ad for vehicle recovery with the headline....

"Need a Two Truck?".

Revenues would double!

And - we haven't even yet begun to discuss ADD!

(which I are, and am proud of it).

I can see that many of the members share the same beneficial attribute.

It's all up to the reader.

P/C can be such a pain at times.

R-E-L-A-X, and have fun!

Well I might just create such a unfashionable comment on a pending cache.

There is a canyon near here that is listed on USGS quads. So the word is there

in black and white. Now the first instructions for this devilish cache would be

Go to *ell, and find the micro for your first set of instructions.

Time will tell when I get around to finishing this cache.

Well I might just create such a unfashionable comment on a pending cache.

There is a canyon near here that is listed on USGS quads. So the word is there

in black and white. Now the first instructions for this devilish cache would be

Go to *ell, and find the micro for your first set of instructions.

Time will tell when I get around to finishing this cache.

Yep, there are a few remote places out amongst the 14'ers that have names that would raise an eyebrow or two. And a few in Montana also.

Now, I'm the first guy to laugh at a cache titled 'Are You A Number Ho?', even as I might have to creatively explain it to a 10-yr old...but am I the only one who has a problem with 'Dyslexics of the Wolrd Untie! ' and the oh-so-cute mis-spellings therein? Racy is one thing; out-and-out mockery another.

I find it curious that you have no qualms about explaining what a "ho" is to a 10-year-old, but you object to a pun that's been around for a long time.

I don't think it's at all disrespectful of dyslexics to use the word "untie" when it's clear that the word "unite" is what's needed. (yes, I saw the other misspellings, too) It's humor, and there's no malice in it. I do think "ho," as well as what the non-rap-speaking people say, "whore," is disrespectful no matter how it's used. (And if I can't use that word, why not if "ho" is allowed to appear?)

Personally, I don't let things like the title of the cache bother me - now if the coordinates are 'way off - that bothers me! :lol:

By my recollection, as many as 15% (or is it 51%? :lol:) of the population has some form of dyslexia. Certainly not a majority, but definitely a lot of people. I for one am mildly dyslexic, as are several family members. I can spell fine, but I'm terrible at numbers--bad news for a coordinates-based game!

In any case, the "Untie!" joke is one of the oldest in the book. Doesn't bother me in the least.

Relax. There are plenty of more important things in this world to worry about.

Cache titles should be kept clean and free from double-entendres, as should all geocaching usernames. We should never make fun of those who practice the world's oldest profession, have reading disabilities, or quite large bottoms.

Knitting needles should likewise be banned as trade items. Knitting needles are dangerous in the wrong hands.

did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic cacher -

he was looking for the cache dog -

sorry - had to keep it cache related didn't I?

Hmmm. I had been planning a night cache for some time near a memorial to a dog. I am running out of time for building a unique night cache container before returning to Iraq (yes, all my caches have folks watching them while I am going, and they enjoy my caches to the extent where a few of them have even offered to watch any additional caches I may place).

At any rate, I was considering naming the cache Insomniac Agnostic Dyslexic Cache (where cachers at the site could stay up all night wondering if there really is a dog - yes, a number of my cache titles apply very dry humor). I had not considered such a title "offensive," but now reading this forum I learn that it could be offensive.

Ah, well, I will not stay up all night worrying about cache titles being CP...

I'm curious, why is making fun of prostitutes considered ok but dysexics not?

Generally, I try to avoid making fun of something that people can't do anything about (although, let's face it, huge zits on nerdy teens' faces are just plain *funny* :)). People don't choose to be dyslexic (although a lot of parents these days seem to claim that their kids are dyslexic, as a catch-all excuse for poor school performance, but that's another story), but most (all?) prostitutes choose to do it. I'm not saying they necessarily had a full palette of options available, but they made a choice of some kind.

Likewise, people don't choose to be black, or white, or deaf, or to have Christian or Jewish or Muslim parents. (They do, however, in my opinion, choose to be Christian or Jewish or Muslim themselves; again, a whole nother story.) To mock them for that would be at best "inappropriate". That said, making a couple of slightly poor taste jokes about dyslexics isn't quite the same as calling up the cattle trucks...

but most (all?) prostitutes choose to do it. I'm not saying they necessarily had a full palette of options available, but they made a choice of some kind.

Wrongo. Even here in the US girls are still being shipped in against their will to work the trade. Many here that are not from a foreign country were still essentially kidnapped. And of those who started under their own free will, a good majority of them want out of it, but can't get out of it for fear for their lives, as pimps generally aren't nice people. Just about the only girls in this country doing it completely willingly to get by are those who have only been working the streets for a few months (90% of which will not want to within a year or two, tops) and don't know what they've gotten themselves in to, and those working in legitamite, legal brothels. That's it.

I did a 15 page paper on prostitution 2 years ago :)

Now, I'm the first guy to laugh at a cache titled 'Are You A Number Ho?', even as I might have to creatively explain it to a 10-yr old...but am I the only one who has a problem with 'Dyslexics of the Wolrd Untie! ' and the oh-so-cute mis-spellings therein? Racy is one thing; out-and-out mockery another.

In a final attempt to bring this back on track and answer the OP's question.

I search the active caches with the key words "Uranus" in thier title. Of those, it was obvious that 2 of them had nothing to do with planets.

I'm sorry if you do not approve of the title my latest cache. It's simple mystery cache. Dang, you wouldn't approve of my other new cache either. That one is not nearly as easy, or so I'm told.

Hmm... There are three caches using the word 'dyslexic', but twenty seven using the word 'squaw'. Native Americans find 'squaw' to be offensive.

Seventy four caches use the word H-E-Double-toothpicks.

Two use Left Hand

Dang, I'll have to rethink my Left-Handed Squaw from Hell cache. :)

You are excused from hunting any of my caches. There are some caches that I, personally, find offensive. I will not do them. You are likewise excused. And please do not make fun of mytyping. I'm sensitive bout that.

Hmm...  There are three caches using the word 'dyslexic', but twenty seven using the word 'squaw'.  Native Americans find 'squaw' to be offensive. 

Seventy four caches use the word H-E-Double-toothpicks.

Two use Left Hand

Dang, I'll have to rethink my Left-Handed Squaw from Hell cache.  :)

FYI: According to my native american friends - I have quite a few - this word (not dyslexic) is very deragatory slang for a certain female body part. If I were to type an approximate word I would be banned for life. At least that's what they tell me. (my friends tell me that is)

<edit for clarity - should proofread *before* hitting submit>

Edited by martinell

In a final attempt to bring this back on track and answer the OP's question.

I search the active caches with the key words "Uranus" in thier title. Of those, it was obvious that 2 of them had nothing to do with planets.

So there's hope that my "Lookin' for Colonel Angus" cache will get approved. YAY! :(:ph34r:B)

Edited by Snoogans