Date Format

ExTechOp

I'm sure this has been requested several times before, but here it is again: make the date format an user-adjustable parameter like the local timezone and the miles/kilometers setting are. Living in Finland, we normally use day-month-year, and in other parts of the globe year-month-day is also very popular. The US system of using month-day-year can be very confusing for people from other parts of the world unless one stops to think about it.

I remember reading something almost exactly like that, back on 04/05/03.  :drama:

Good example of a date which could be confusing. As the separators are consistent, it is possible to understand that 04/05/03 means 5.4.03 instead of 03-05-04 :drama:

I agree with ExTechOp - it would be nice to have the date format as a user adjustable parameter, or to have a default format which could not be misunderstood, like 05-Apr-2003 - hardly misreadable as 04-May-2003 :lol:

I agree with ExTechOp - it would be nice to have the date format as a user adjustable parameter, or to have a default format which could not be misunderstood, like 05-Apr-2003 - hardly misreadable as 04-May-2003  :santa:

Using the ISO 8601 standard convention of yyyy-mm-dd would have an advantage of not having to remember english month names -- many languages use quite similar (latin-derived) names, but for example finnish does not.

Edited by ExTechOp
I agree with ExTechOp - it would be nice to have the date format as a user adjustable parameter, or to have a default format which could not be misunderstood, like 05-Apr-2003 - hardly misreadable as 04-May-2003  :santa:

Using the ISO 8601 standard convention of yyyy-mm-dd would have an advantage of not having to remember english month names -- many languages use quite similar (latin-derived) names, but for example finnish does not.

There are still ambiguities with ISO 8601, here is RFC 3339. You're not going to be able to please all of the people all of the time.