Garmin 60c Problem

BilgeRat

My 60c has developed the annoying habit of constantly shifting the heading while it is standing still. Because of this, it will not record stop time on the trip computer, either. The only thing that I could think of to do was to reload the firmware, and it did not solve the problem. Does anybody know how to solve this, or will this be a send it in to Garmin thing? As it does not do it when moving (operates just fine while moving), it's just an annoyance and I think I could put up with it for the price of the $135 repair fee. Any ideas?

Tom

My 60c has developed the annoying habit of constantly shifting the heading while it is standing still. Because of this, it will not record stop time on the trip computer, either. The only thing that I could think of to do was to reload the firmware, and it did not solve the problem. Does anybody know how to solve this, or will this be a send it in to Garmin thing? As it does not do it when moving (operates just fine while moving), it's just an annoyance and I think I could put up with it for the price of the $135 repair fee. Any ideas?

Tom

I had the same problem on my 60CS....the direction arrow would just go round and round, and the moving time/stopped time fields would not work. As I've mentioned before, there are several little software glitches in the 60 series....for me, turning the unit off, removing the batteries for a few moments, reinstalling the bats, and doing a master reset cured the problem. If it still does not work after that, send it back to Garmin as I would find that a lot more than just an annoyance...it's really unusable.

Regardless of when you bought it, If there is a problem Garmin should fix it for no charge.

Surely this because the 60c, as opposed to the 60CS, does not have an electronic compass. As soon as you start moving, it should sort itself out - I think!

Not so, I use my GPS with the compass of all the time, except when I stop to take a bearing, then I turn it on. My compass spinning was with the compass off....there is another thread around with several people experiencing the same thing.