The Unofficial Contest Logging Thread.

We are listing the first 2 Marker Types here to start off the contest.

Please note the format for the link name.

To add a link to this thread click The reply button at the bottom of the page. When you enter your text you click the "http://" button and put the benchmark page address in the box and hit OK. You will then be prompted for a name - enter the PID#, the equal sign, the code number/letter, the equal sign, and the marker type, hit the OK button and you're done.

Check the pictures out, the date is visible even in the low light of sunrise on an overcast day. If you need assistance for taking pictures please ask in the other thread about the contest.

Please use this thread for entry logs only.

GP0103=DD=Survey Disk

GP0574=53=Elevated Tank

PLEASE, do not wait until the last day to log all your entries! PLEASE! (we are old and slow! :cool: ). We will try to keep a running tally in our database and will post entry updates occasionally through out the contest.

Have fun,

John & Shirley

Here's the weekend's driving results. I've put my entries on a separate page, to provide a little organization. However, I have entered 12 markers:

22 Airway Beacon FO0982 LOS ANGELES AMARILLO AWY BN 71

42 Radio/TV Mast FO1220 ALBUQUERQUE RAD KRZY MAST

45 Microwave Tower FO1108 ALAMEDA FAA MICROWAVE W TWR

53 Elevated Tank FO1172 ALBUQUERQUE VOL ANDIA TANK

62 Flagpole FO1201 ALBUQUERQUE VET CEN FLAG

82 Finial FO1345 ALBUQUERQUE FEDERAL BLDG DOME

90 Church spire FO1128 ALBUQUERQUE CH LATTER DAY ST

DD Survey Disk FO0975 3510625001

DH Horizontal Control Disk FO1739 REEVES 2

F Flange-Encased Rod AA3132 G 442

I Metal Rod AA3131 ZAB B

R Rivet FO0248 RV 2

Edited by BuckBrooke

DS= TRIANGULATION STATION CASSVILLE GF0908

57= LOOKOUT TOWER LOHMER GF0902

53= ELEVATED TANK CASSVILLE OLD MUNICIPAL TANK GF0912

I=METAL ROD N 349 GF0985

DV= VERTICAL CONTROL DISC S 349 GF0599

B=BOLT CXIII GF0599

GOT TO ADD THE YOUNGEST WITH THE OLDEST BENCHMARK HUNTER.

4 AND 90.SEE NOTE:

I AM ADDING A FLICKR PAGE FOR THE PHOTO'S

It will be updated as the marks are recovered.

You can see all sizes of the images at FLICKR.

By clicking on the photo.

BENCHMARKCONTEST

Edited by GEO*Trailblazer 1

Geo I think you misread the datasheet.

From the original datasheet -

GF0985_MARKER: I = METAL ROD

GF0985_SETTING: 49 = STAINLESS STEEL ROD W/O SLEEVE (10 FT.+)

GF0985_STAMPING: N 349 1989

The marker type is I=METAL ROD

I think your eyeballs were getting a bit heavy and slipped down one line. :ph34r:

John

PS: Could it be that old age thing catching up with you..... :blink:

Geo I think you misread the datasheet.

From the original datasheet -

GF0985_MARKER: I = METAL ROD

GF0985_SETTING: 49 = STAINLESS STEEL ROD W/O SLEEVE (10 FT.+)

GF0985_STAMPING: N 349 1989

The marker type is I=METAL ROD

I think your eyeballs were getting a bit heavy and slipped down one line. :ph34r:

John

PS: Could it be that old age thing catching up with you..... :blink:

I,EYE,AYE IT MUST BE MY i!'S

ME OLD AGE NAH CAN'T BE THAT.

How are they looking so far?

Not my I's

DS=  TRIANGULATION STATION CASSVILLE GF0908

57= LOOKOUT TOWER LOHMER GF0902

53= ELEVATED TANK CASSVILLE OLD MUNICIPAL TANK GF0912

I=METAL ROD N 349 GF0985

DV= VERTICAL CONTROL DISC S 349 GF0599

B=BOLT CXIII GF0599

GOT TO ADD THE YOUNGEST WITH THE OLDEST BENCHMARK HUNTER.

4 AND 90.SEE NOTE:

Z=SEE DESCRIPTION CV HE0206

63=STACK MONETT PRODUCERS CREAMERY STK

42=RADIO/TV MAST MONETT RADIO STATION KRMO MAST

I AM ADDING A FLICKR PAGE FOR THE PHOTO'S

It will be updated as the marks are recovered.

You can see all sizes of the images at FLICKR.

By clicking on the photo.

BENCHMARKCONTEST

R=RIVET RV 4 GG0056

Edited by GEO*Trailblazer 1
Geo,

CV = HE0206 = "MARKER: Z = SEE DESCRIPTION" from the NGS datasheet.

John

I went back and looked I still do not see the Z on my end on the original data sheet,I,eye must need glasses.

Arhhhhhh

HE0206 ***********************************************************************

HE0206 DESIGNATION - CV

HE0206 PID - HE0206

HE0206 STATE/COUNTY- MO/JASPER

HE0206 USGS QUAD - SARCOXIE (1971)

HE0206

HE0206 *CURRENT SURVEY CONTROL

HE0206 ___________________________________________________________________

HE0206* NAD 83(1986)- 37 04 10. (N) 094 06 56. (W) SCALED

HE0206* NAVD 88 - 331.568 (meters) 1087.82 (feet) ADJUSTED

HE0206 ___________________________________________________________________

HE0206 GEOID HEIGHT- -29.43 (meters) GEOID99

HE0206 DYNAMIC HT - 331.299 (meters) 1086.94 (feet) COMP

HE0206 MODELED GRAV- 979,807.5 (mgal) NAVD 88

HE0206

HE0206 VERT ORDER - FIRST CLASS II

HE0206

HE0206.The horizontal coordinates were scaled from a topographic map and have

HE0206.an estimated accuracy of +/- 6 seconds.

HE0206

HE0206.The orthometric height was determined by differential leveling

HE0206.and adjusted by the National Geodetic Survey in June 1991.

HE0206

HE0206.The geoid height was determined by GEOID99.

HE0206

HE0206.The dynamic height is computed by dividing the NAVD 88

HE0206.geopotential number by the normal gravity value computed on the

HE0206.Geodetic Reference System of 1980 (GRS 80) ellipsoid at 45

HE0206.degrees latitude (g = 980.6199 gals.).

HE0206

HE0206.The modeled gravity was interpolated from observed gravity values.

HE0206

HE0206; North East Units Estimated Accuracy

HE0206;SPC MO W - 100,250. 884,190. MT (+/- 180 meters Scaled)

HE0206

HE0206 SUPERSEDED SURVEY CONTROL

HE0206

HE0206 NGVD 29 - 331.476 (m) 1087.52 (f) ADJ UNCH 1 2

HE0206

HE0206.Superseded values are not recommended for survey control.

HE0206.NGS no longer adjusts projects to the NAD 27 or NGVD 29 datums.

HE0206.See file dsdata.txt to determine how the superseded data were derived.

HE0206

HE0206_STABILITY: D = MARK OF QUESTIONABLE OR UNKNOWN STABILITY

HE0206

HE0206 HISTORY - Date Condition Recov. By

HE0206 HISTORY - UNK MONUMENTED USGS

HE0206 HISTORY - 1933 GOOD NGS

HE0206 HISTORY - 1977 GOOD NGS

HE0206

HE0206 STATION DESCRIPTION

HE0206

HE0206''DESCRIBED BY NATIONAL GEODETIC SURVEY 1933

HE0206''AT SARCOXIE.

HE0206''AT SARCOXIE, JASPER COUNTY, OPPOSITE THE NORTHEAST CORNER OF

HE0206''THE PUBLIC SQUARE, ON THE SOUTHEAST CORNER OF THE BLOCK, AT A

HE0206''BRICK BUILDING ONCE OWNED AND OCCUPIED BY THE FIRST NATIONAL

HE0206''BANK OF SARCOXIE, AND ON THE UPPER SURFACE OF THE LOWER STONE

HE0206''STEP. THE BOTTOM OF A SQUARE HOLE SURROUNDED BY THE LETTERS

HE0206''USBM. NOTE-- THE LETTERS U S C AND G SURVEY AND ALTITUDE ABOVE

HE0206''GULF OF MEXICO 1088 FEET ARE ALSO CUT IN THE STONE STEP.

HE0206

HE0206 STATION RECOVERY (1977)

HE0206

HE0206''RECOVERY NOTE BY NATIONAL GEODETIC SURVEY 1977

HE0206''RECOVERED IN GOOD CONDITION.

HE0206

HE0206 STATION RECOVERY (1977)

HE0206

HE0206''RECOVERY NOTE BY NATIONAL GEODETIC SURVEY 1977

HE0206''RECOVERED IN GOOD CONDITION.

How's this?

HE0206_MARKER: Z = SEE DESCRIPTION

HE0206_SETTING: 30 = SET IN A LIGHT STRUCTURE

HE0206_SP_SET: STEP

HE0206_STABILITY: D = MARK OF QUESTIONABLE OR UNKNOWN STABILITY

HE0206

HE0206 HISTORY - Date Condition Report By

HE0206 HISTORY - 1894 MONUMENTED USGS

HE0206 HISTORY - 1933 GOOD NGS

HE0206 HISTORY - 20030319 GOOD GEOCAC

HE0206

HE0206 STATION DESCRIPTION

HE0206

HE0206'DESCRIBED BY NATIONAL GEODETIC SURVEY 1933

The top line.... :) From the NGS datasheet, (from the NGS site) not the GC.com edition.

John

Today's efforts.

LY2561=57=Lookout Tower (Only took five tries to get the date to show!)

LY2560=DH=Horizontal Control Disk (Okay, so they're only a few hundred feet apart.)

LY2247=DV=Vertical Control Disk

Two more for Sunday:

LY0393=R=Rivet

This one's not in Geocaching, so I put the photos elsewhere:

DF7147=I=Metal Rod

Three more feet, and I would have parked on top of this one!

Edited by Harry Dolphin

I've logged a few more, to my list

03 Mountain Peak CZ1943 PICACHO PEAK

63 Stack FO1253 ALBUQUERQUE INDIAN HOSP STK

87 Dome FO1414 WEST MESA FAA RADAR DOME (needs a better photo)

DB Bench Mark Disk FO1308 I25 30

DS Triangulation Station Disk FO1402 BLACK 2

DR Reference Mark Disk FO1403 BLACK 2 RM 4

DZ Azimuth Mark Disk FO0822 EDGE AZ MK (needs a better photo)

We may have grain elevators out here, but I don't think I'm going to be able to log many of the water based markers, particularly a DOLPHIN, lighthouses, etc.

It's not many to the top few, but I'm over halfway (280) towards my goal of finding 520 PIDs this year. I'll definitely break 400, but the contest is so intriguing.

Edited by BuckBrooke

2oldfarts, didn't your mother ever tell you that it isn't polite to challenge a Scorpio dolphin?!? Single-mindedness seems to define them. And this is definitely cutting into my geocaching! We only found one geocache this weekend. mloser: There are many nice things in Newark, even if it is the largest major city with an airport that people fly into and never visit the city. I definitely enjoy the PAC, and the Newark Bears.

On to this weekend's benchmarks:

KU362=92=Antenna on roof. taken from our cache West New York Aerie

KV4313=82=Finial

KU3959=70=Monument

KU4006=86=Cupola

KU1432=Q=Chiseled Square

KU1431=B=Bolt

KV4023=H=Drill Hole

KV4024=85=Chimney

KV4142=55=Tower

KV4709=89=Spire

KV4696=87=Dome

KV4695=90=Church Spire

KV0095=X=Chiseled Cross

AI7796=F=Flange Encased Rod

KV4693=62=Flagpole

Edited by Harry Dolphin

Dolphin run amok. (It's all Shirley's fault!) Weekend in New York, Bergen and Hudson counties.

KU3973=52=Standpipe Tank Though how this tower qualifies as a standpipe tank is beyond me. ;)

KU4017=83=Flagstaff Now, someone explain to me the difference between a flagstaff and a flagpole.

KU3935=63=Stack With windows in it, no less!

KU3926=22=Airway Beacon Hard to find in daylight, but it's still there.

KU4063=DS=Triangulation Station Disk 6.6 feet from a five hundred foot drop off the Palisades.

KV4054=43=Radio/TV Tower Funky looking critter!

KV4074=91=Church Cross

Dolphin and Bear's Excellent Adventure,

or A Dophin in Search of a Dolphin.

AI8459=DO=Not Specified or See Description

KV0497=DR=Reference Mark Disk

KV3523=Z=See Description

KV4208=51=Tank

KU3503=45=Microwave Tower

KU3505=21=Airport Beacon

The dolphins, unfortunately, are iffier. As Papa-Bear-NYC pointed out, they might look more like nun buoys. So: is they is, or is they isn't? Opinions, please.

KV4524=12=Dolphin?

Final totals for the four day weekend are: 19-21 finds, 14-16 DNFs, close to 200 miles travelled. We invaded two gated communities (hey, we walked through the gates!). One a Russian Hasidic enclave at Seagate, the other a seaside enclave at Breezy Point (one in Brooklyn, the other in Queens).

And, we had a lot of fun. Unfortunately, we are running out of interesting benchmarks to search for. Oh, well.

Hi Harry

Here's my thinking on the dolphin:

1) It's a fixed navigational aid, mounted on pilings and the description states the mark is the tall center pole.

Here's a schematic picture from this site: http://www.esva.net/~rwest/atons.html

green.dol.GIF

The picture you show, although admittedly it is at a considerable distance, seems to show no pilings and it seems to lean, indication it is floating in the current, not fixed.

2) The Coast Guard's 2005 "Lights List" ( http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/pubs/LightLists/LightLists.htm ), which lists all Aids to Navigation, shows no dolphin in that vicinity. Although I find it hard to read, I searched for "dolphin" and only turned up a couple nearby (off the Manhattan South Ferry terminal), plus a few dozen others at various points along the coast from Maine to Delaware.

3) The map shows it close in to Coney Island, but your picture shows it quite far out in the channel. Topozone shows it about 100 yards off the point ( http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=40.577...=25&datum=WGS84 ). Since it's a horizontal control point, one would assume this is fairly accurate. It may be the perspective but it looks in your picture to be nearer to Staten island than to Brooklyn. As I said, this may just be perspective. Did it seem to you as close as the map shows it to the point?

We need someone with nautical experience who could probably say "yes or no" in an instant.

Where is the U.S. Power Squadron when we need them? :ninja:

Pb

Edited by Papa-Bear-NYC

Harry,

Irregardless of what is at the site for the dolphin, it qualifies as "12=DOLPHIN" since that is how it is listed on the NGS datasheet. If that is where the coordinates say it is, then it meets the requirements.

We found Kanab South Cairn and when we checked the NGS we found it is not a "cairn" at all, but a "Stone Monument"! We have seen other benchmarks that are different from what we would consider the marker type.

The Marker type was probably decided by whoever did the original field notes/monumentation work and what they thought it was. Is it a spire, steeple, tower, etc?

John

Given the evidence I think it qualifies as Not Found. Papa Bear makes a good case by his description of a dolphin having pilings and being a fixed monument. Even Mr Dolphin himself had some doubts. The only way to really be close to sure would be to take a boat out to the marker and see if it in the location on the description. Even then, it would classify as a Found, Poor in NGS terminology since the mark described is not the mark found, even if it is in the same location.

As for Kanab South Cairn, the name and the monument type disagree, and there was even some doubt about the object in 1933

GQ0323''RECOVERED IN GOOD CONDITION EXCEPT FOUND BASALT (OR MALAPAIS)

GQ0323''ROCK IMBEDDED IN GROUND AND MARKED WITH CUT CROSS.  NO EVIDENCE

GQ0323''OF ROCK MONUMENT OR WOOD TARGET.

What is odd is that there is no mention of the cairn in the descriptions from 1933 and 1953, even though it was obviously there or it would not have been named "cairn". The original 1871 description is lost so the 1933 one has to serve. They may have reestablished the station in 1933 (the measurements, not the monument).

Cairns are sometimes pretty tough because they are often not the actual mark, but are simply covers over the mark. Without tearing down the cairn to see what is in the middle it is impossible to tell if it covers the mark or a rattlesnake nest.

Benchmark hunting is never a cut and dried thing is it!?

Irregardless of what is at the site for the dolphin, it qualifies as "12=DOLPHIN" since that is how it is listed on the NGS datasheet. If that is where the coordinates say it is, then it meets the requirements.

The Marker type was probably decided by whoever did the original field notes/monumentation work and what they thought it was. Is it a spire, steeple, tower, etc?

John

There are two points in your note.

1) That if the observed object is at the correct location, it must be the designated object. I would not agree with this. What if the datasheet said "flagpole" and you found a "church steeple"? Surely you would look further and perhaps conclude that you didn't find the mark.

2) That the original reporter may have chosen "dolphin" for want of something better, or from ignorance. This does not jibe with the description, which not only notes that the object is a dolphin (a particular type of navigational aid) but made a note that the mark was "THE TALL CENTER PILE", an attribute that is specific to a dolphin.

DESCRIBED BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1945 (RLP) THIS STATION IS THE TALL CENTER PILE OF A DOLPHIN AT NORTON POINT, IN GRAVESEND BAY. IT IS APPROXIMATELY 80 METERS W OF THE ROCK BREAKWATER OF CONEY ISLAND, APPROXIMATELY 190 METERS NW OF CONEY ISLAND LIGHTHOUSE, IN ABOUT 8 FEET OF WATER. IT IS THE MORE S OF TWO DOLPHINS ABOUT 70 METERS APART. THIS IS AN INTERSECTION STATION.

60 years is a long time for something like this to last. Aids to navigation change all the time, that's why the Coast Guard comes out with a new list every year.

Listen, I don't want to be a nay-sayer, I want Harry to find a dolphin as much as anyone, but this may not be it.

:P Pb

Lesson 1) Never let wishes and hopes taint reality.

Lesson 2) Dolphin is the only category available for buoys (?) or whatever they are. The only other option is Z=See Description.

I did not observe the buoys moving in the waves. They may well be stationary.

The GPS indicated that the coordinates were approximately right. Also, this was high tide, which makes them look further out to sea/bay.

Google Earth and Topozone, however, would place the dolphins closer to the breakwater than the objects that I found. These were definitely north of the breakwater.

Lesson 3) Most of the benchmarks in NGS are long missing, and NGS knows it. One wonders why there are still listed?

As much as the dolphin wanted to find a dolphin, he will admit that they have probably gone to the great fish fest in the sky. These were the only listed dolphins within any close proximity. So, alas, I shall probably never see one.

With a broken heart, I withdraw my entry for 12=dolphin.

We did, however, find an excellent radar tower, and airport beacon on our trip. Plus a lighthouse (but not for the contest), and a virtual cache at Fort Tilden. And we had a lot of fun.

BTW, 2oldfarts has me listed for a 98. I think that should be an X=Chiseled cross.

Under the Gilbert & Sullivan theory of "Things are seldom what they seem", what do we think of KV3915, a chiseled triangle that is really a C & GS bronze disk?

Harry,

That 98 was actually a 92-Antenna on a roof.

I have the chiseled cross listed in the PID# category, I just didn't get it into the type category.

Counting the 12=Dolphin you are at 41 finds.

KV3915 was a chiseled triangle until 1933 (?) when someone made a drill hole where the cross was and set the current disk. It is possible but not probable that the triangle is under the disk. Ask Deb for clarification on this one, since I don't think they would want you to "Lift" the disk to check for the chiseled triangle. :P

As for Kanab South Cairn, the actual mark is a chiseled cross under the cairn/Stone monument, but it is still classified as a stone monument. For the contest that is what it would be accepted as and NOT a chiseled cross.

If the NGS misnames a marker type we use the "Type" listed on their datasheet. Whether the navigational marker is a Dolphin or just a common buoy, the NGS has classified it as a "Dolphin".

John

Benchmark hunting in the snow. This ain't easy!

Found by coordinates and description, after digging through the snow:

LY2813=DQ=Calibration Base Line Disk. Unfortunately, the disk is badlly scarred and illegible. So, we went looking 580 meters (that's meters, Harry, not feet) to the sound, and found only the shank. LY2812=DQ=Calibration Base Line Disk. And, remember, the airplanes have the right of way. Oh, well.

Next try: LY2896=DZ=Azimuth Mark Disk. Coordinates and descriptiona are right on. Disk is tough to read, and I cannot see 'AZ MK' on the disk, after 'Smiths Hill 2 1990'.

So we went on to the Geocaching Event 'Caching Through The Snow Too' at Krogh's Brew Pub in Sparta! That was easy to find. :laughing:

Dang. Couldn't find the chiselled triangle, or the clay pipe. Oh, well. Running out of time, and the weather has not been cooperating. So we headed off to central Jersey on Christmas day. Dense fog, which changed into heavy rain. (Who's the idiot who wrote "I'm dreaming of a wet Christmas'?)

KV5336=16=Daybeacon. Coordinates food. Description of location good. Found by NGS in 1984. Might be 20' high, might be higher. What I did not see is a 'round, black, iron target surmounting an iron pipe'. Compare with KV5335. Both were monumented in 1930. Hmm. Comments.

KV5331=56=Skeleton Tower. Not quite what I was expecting, but the coordinates are right on. The top of the tower was obscured by the fog.

Edited by Harry Dolphin

One more trip with failures. Oh, well. I knew I was pushing my luck, and I haven't been able to get back to Queens and Brooklyn for the interesting marks there. So, on the penultimate day of the contest, and the first day of the year, we wandered off to Harmony Township, in rural Warren County, NJ, looking for KV1610=DG= Gravity Station Disk. The road has been widened since 1937. Perhaps the snow cover didn't help, but I can't help thinking this one was lost during road widening. In a desperate fit of naiveté, we considered KV3560=V=Stone Monument, but, we agreed with juanbob that it is definitely on private property (with recent tire tracks in the snow.) Oh, well. We did, however, find a much nicer KV1608=DZ=Azimuth Mark Disk than the previous one that we submitted. (Okay, so the Power Squadron missed the witness post attached to the 'steep grade' sign.) Oh, well.

Andy Bear says that Harmony is about as far out into the boonies as he ever wants to go! :D

Happy New Year, all. May all your benchmark hunts be fun.

Edited by Harry Dolphin

The final tally is..............

maggieszoo with 3

I=metal rod, Q-Chiseled square, DD-Survey disk

Geo_Trailblazer! with 16

DS=Triangulation station disk, 57=lookout tower, 53=elevated tank, I=metal rod, DV=vertical control disk, B=bolt, R=rivet, Z=see description, 42=Radio/TV mast, 63=Stack, Q=chiseled square, DH=Hor. cont. disk, 65=grain elevator, 44=microwave mast, 70=monument,87=Dome

Buck Brooke with 20

22-airway beacon, 42-radio/TV mast, 45-microwave tower, 53-elevated tank, 62-flagpole, 82-finial, 90-church spire, DD-survey disk, DH-horizontal control disk, F-flanged encased rod, I-metal rod, R-rivet, 03-Mtn peak, 63-stack, 87-Dome, DB-benchmark disk, DS-Tri-Sta disk, DR- Ref Mark, DZ-Azimuth mark disk, DV-Vertical Control Disk

Harry Dolphin with 45

DB-Benchmark disk, DD-survey disk,14-navigation light, 13-lighthouse, 54-water tower, DJ-tidal station disk, 53-elevated tank, 57-lookout tower, DH-horizontal control disk, DV-vertical control disk, R-Rivet, I-metal rod, 92-Antenna on roof, 82-Final, 70-Monumeent, 86-Cupola, Q-Chiseled Square, B-Bolt, H-Drill Hole. 85-Chimney, 55-Tower, 89-Spire, 87-Dome, 90-Church Spire, X-Chiseled Cross, F-Flange Encased Rod, 62-Flagpole, 52-Standpipe Tank, 83-Flagstaff, 63-Stack, 22-Airway Beacon, DS-Tri-station Disk, 43-Radio/TV Tower, 91-Church Cross, DO-not specified, DR-Reference mark disk, Z-see description, 51-tank, 45-microwave tower, 21-airport beacon, 12-dolphin, DQ-Calibration Base Line Disk, DZ-Azimuth Mark, 16-day beacon, 56-skeleton tower

The list after each name is in the order they found the benchmarks.

Congrats to Harry!

Let us know what you choice is....Premium membership or GSAK?

Good contest and congrats to all!

John & Shirley - 2oldfarts