Geocaching Merit Badge

Army1

Looks like geocaching is not part of the BSA orienteering merit badge... Orienteering merit badge requirements There is talk of developing a Boy/Girl Scout Geocaching Badge of Merit among some folks in the SouthEastern PA Geocachers (SEPAG) group. Once fully developed and proven successful, the GC Badge could be proposed to the BSA/GSA for merit badge status. Are there any other groups already pursuing this? Thanks, George (Eagle Scout 1976, Hawk Mountain Council, PA)

I read the orienteering merit badge requirements and compared it to my experience geocaching. I know there will be a lot of angry responses to this, but I think that geocaching requires a much shallower skill set and depth of knowlege than and all of the other merit badges I have read the requirements for. I would be interested to see the proposed requirements.

A lot of similar requirements could exist between the two, even though Geocaching and Orienteering are TOTALLY unrelated :lol:

As we all know, there are lots of things one can do with caching (and sometimes HAS to do) besides just going straight to a location. In addition to actually finding and logging a cache, some ideas might include:

- The ability to project a waypoint using nothing more than a GPS (maybe even find an offset cache hidden in this manner)

- Similar to the above, the ability to estimate position based on last known position (i.e. "I think the cache is about 30 yards over there in the thick tree cover")

- Understanding and being able to explain how the GPS system works

- The ability to use a GPSr in all three dimensions

- The ability to use the GPSr to record a trace and follow it back

I'm sure there are a lot more things the masses can think of to make it a challenging badge to earn.

Although many of the skills overlap to a great degree, the sports are very different. Use of a GPS or any other electronic device while orienteering, is illegal per the rules of the sport so as long as the badge is "Orienteering" GPS use won't be there.

I think there is room for such a badge, but it will have to be more of a "GPS navigation" badge than a "Geocaching" badge. The scouts want to be sure they are teaching kids to do skills, not recruiting them for other activities.

Adding to ParrotRob's list and rambling onward....... make a simple map of a 100 acre area using a GPS to locate specific landmarks... There might even be a spot for satellite imagery, radar, or whatever to widen the scope of learning. Maybe the badge is "Electronic Navigation" and Geocaching becomes one practical application from the kids perspective.

Whoever takes on this project needs to be extremely persistant. I spent about 10 years just helping with getting the Orienteering Merit Badge booklet updated closer to the current standards of the sport. See http://www.scoutorienteering.com/meritbadge03.htm if you want to see part of the process. The BSA process moves at a sometimes imperceptible pace.

Army1.... Hawk Mountain Scout Reservation was helpful in the merit badge changes in that they allowed me to map the camp to Orienteering standards which became a good example for National. A piece of that map is on another page of the website cited above.

corrected spelling... wasn't quite awake this AM...

Edited by edscott

As a long time Scout leader, I would support a GPS Navigation Badge similar to described above, not a specific Geocaching badge. Some of the rquirements might be a thorough understanding of the use of a GPSr, navigating in the field, transferring waypoints and tracks to a PC map, graphing elevation plots, use in planning hikes. I would make a prerequisite of skill in using map and compass by completing the Orienteering badge. This is so the Scout can fall back on map and compass in the wilderness, and come home safely. We are adults, and know not to rely on only a GPSr and to always carry a compass, and map........

I also agree with the idea of as I would put it "Electronic Navagation". I think the orienteering merit badge should be a pre-requisit for it. When I was in scouts, I believe that Oreinteering was a required for Eagle Scout. If that is still the case, it wouldn't be much of an issue.

Recovering a geocache of significate difficulty could be one of the requirements, with allowances made for scoutmasters to place caches that do not necessarily meet official geocaching rules. This would provide for a cache to be placed temporarily, and it would not have to be listed on geocaching.com. Placing a ligitimate cache in the middle of a Regional Boy Scout Camp would probably not be a good idea.

Recovering a geocache of significate difficulty could be one of the requirements, with allowances made for scoutmasters to place caches that do not necessarily meet official geocaching rules. This would provide for a cache to be placed temporarily, and it would not have to be listed on geocaching.com. Placing a ligitimate cache in the middle of a Regional Boy Scout Camp would probably not be a good idea.

Perhaps in the same vein one of my concerns that once implemented you may be providing fairly easy access of cache locations to a group of perhaps mischievous young boys (yes, I remember my Boy Scout days and many of our extracurricular pursuits were not always what you might call "civic minded"). The same concern could be applied with any group hunt by any largely novice segment that may not have the same interest in cache integrity that we share.

I imagine local cache owners wouldn't want the placement of their caches to be made that public. WJTB's make pretty neat little souvenirs to 13 year old boys (and unfortunaletly some older "boys" too)

Don't get me wrong though, I would love to see geocaching promoted through the scouting movement, we just need to take a lot of things into account.

Recovering a geocache of significate difficulty could be one of the requirements, with allowances made for scoutmasters to place caches that do not necessarily meet official geocaching rules.  This would provide for a cache to be placed temporarily, and it would not have to be listed on geocaching.com.  Placing a ligitimate cache in the middle of a Regional Boy Scout Camp would probably not be a good idea.

Perhaps in the same vein one of my concerns that once implemented you may be providing fairly easy access of cache locations to a group of perhaps mischievous young boys (yes, I remember my Boy Scout days and many of our extracurricular pursuits were not always what you might call "civic minded"). The same concern could be applied with any group hunt by any largely novice segment that may not have the same interest in cache integrity that we share.

I imagine local cache owners wouldn't want the placement of their caches to be made that public. WJTB's make pretty neat little souvenirs to 13 year old boys (and unfortunaletly some older "boys" too)

Don't get me wrong though, I would love to see geocaching promoted through the scouting movement, we just need to take a lot of things into account.

Agree with the associated problems. A troop in a nearby county has introduced Geocaching to their boys and now several caches in the area have gone missing.... Could be a coincidence.. and maybe it isn't....

Edited by edscott

I'm willing to start organizing the initial paperwork for BOTH boys and girls, all we need is a template to start and a place to post it for those who are serious about reviewing and developing it. There are some VERY knowledgable and KEY folks who have already responded here....

I need a chart detailing the process...let's set some milestones. What has been done before...what has worked, what has failed? Who in California has done what and what is the status? I'm sure this is a long process...buy hey, Back to Gilwell, Happy Land! (Would you believe the Greater Pittsburg Council didn't waive a ticket item when the Army moved me and I never got my beads?!)

Info, info, I need info...please :lol:

I've worked with Boy Scouts since the early 80s and Girl scouts since the mid 90s. Was a Den and troop leader for over 10 years. Both sons are Eagle. I know the Boys don't want to hear this, but GSUSA is much more responsive to new trends. In the early years of my Mid Atlantic Scout Orienteering Championships the Girls often beat the snot out of the boys because of a superior training system for both leaders and kids on that topic. Doesn't surprise me a bit that Geocaching is already catching on, but in my experience that will not do anything to make BSA accept it any sooner.

Ok so I've done some time in the Boy Scouts. Reading through these posts brings up some very good points about the MB program. The fact that the scouting movement is steeped in tradition is an understatement.. The fact that Geocaching is an easier form of orienteering is not going to bode well for creating a new badge. Within each MB there are elective requirements. Maybe this is an option that should be considered too. Kind of like putting a foot in the door. I know a couple of people who have worked trying to get a new badge into the system with many hurdles thrown at them by National. The problems with changing the existing badge requirements is they then need to reprint the books and it also makes the units pay for updated material which to a non-profit is like sqeezing blood from a stone. One thing I did get from those that have tried before is that starting with the units and working your way up with a well laid out program will gain needed support from the councils and will help when filing for the badge later.

Angry-Beaver (Eagle Scout Chester County Council PA, Camp Director, SM, UC,DC, etc....)

Being a CUB Scout leader, I've read all these posts with one thought bouncing around my mind like Tigger on Jolt...

WAIT!!! DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE YOUNGER GUYS!!!

Now I don't say this without being willing to bring some effort to the table as well. I would love to see a Cub Scout beltloop and pin available in Geocaching. And starting with this might have some benefit to it for BOy Scouts as well. Setting activities for the younger guys to do to earn the BLs and Ps would be really easy. And if we (I volunteer to take this to BSA if no one else wants to) can get this approved by BSA for Cub Scouts, that is a huge foot in the door to expanding the topic into Boy Scouts as a merit badge. The challenge, of course, will be to design lists of achievements to earn these awards that won't be considered too easy or in conflict with the Outdoor Code to turn-off the powers to be in BSA.

I like the idea. I'm going to go ahead and start working on the Cub Scout stuff. If any of you have suggested achievement point ideas appropriate for boys age 6-10, feel free to PM me with them. Lord knows, Cub Scouts desperately needs to replace the awards for playing Ultimate with SOMETHING that people in this century know about.

:)

If anyone else wants to start building the requirements for the merit badge, speak up. If no one has the time, I'll be happy to be the recipient of ideas. Not having any experience with Boy Scouts yet though, I'm not very qualified to refine and develope that award.

Caches found by scouts (and school kids) are great. However, there should be a criteria or methos to prevent neglected caches.

Historically, caches placed by educational organizations, such as scouts and schools, fall into disrepair and neglect once the project is complete and the badge is earned.

If the goal is to teach these kids the full concepts of geocaching, then it needs to include cache maintenance.

If they are learning electronic orienteering, that's a different story.

Geocaching is actually being done quite actively within Boy Scouts. I was involved with the geocaching activity at the National Jamboree this past July-August. Magellan/Thales supplied the GPSRs (a couple of pre-production eXplorist models, one of which is not yet in the stores). Each sub-camp (couple dozen of these) had a group of receivers, or Scouts and leaders could use their own. The caches were actually just markers, no containers, no trading of items, more of a course from one marker to the next. But completing the course got a small reward. I was actually on staff in a different activity, but ended up doing a bit of training of the staff who were running the activity in several subcamps. By the time the Jamboree was over, several thousand people had participated. I don't have anything like an exact count, but each of the subcamps I talked to in the last few days of the Jamboree said they had seen upwards of a hundred a day on some days. I am not sure how much overlap among subcamps there was, since participants were encouraged to try several different subcamps' courses.

And use of GPS has been around in BSA for something like 10 years. I was also involved in a program of one of the major manufacturers to provide loaner GPSRs to scout troops (heavy, huge, battery-eating refurbished Desert Storm units). We had the youth doing various navigational exercises, although they were trained in map and compass first. Remember, this was when SA was still active, so 100 meters was the typical 95% error circle.

As noted, there is an Orienteering Merit Badge. And there is an active scout participation in orienteering, both BSA and GSUSA units. Many parts of the country have annual Scout Orienteering Championships. These typically get 300-400 scouts out. But orienteering is fundamentally different from geocaching. Orienteering rules allow use of only map (handed out at the start of each course) and compass - no GPSR, no altimeter, no pedometer, no electronic aids to navigation. It is a run through the woods and hills from control point to control point (or skiing, cycling, horseback, canoe). Most of the orienteering meets in the SFBay Area (put on by Bay Area Orienteering Club, one of the largest clubs in the US) draw several hundred participants, and are held at parks all over the Bay Area once or twice a month. This means that orienteering is a group effort for setting and running the events, vs geocaching which is more of an individual activity.

Whether a geocaching merit badge comes into being or not depends on whether it can be designed to emphasize skills that fit with the aims of BSA. The merit badge program basically does two things. The first is more advanced skills than the basic Tenderfoot through First Class required skills (camping, first aid, citizenship, physical fitness, etc), but still not on the "expert" level. The second is an introduction (emphasize "introduction", not "expert") to activities that might prove a future career (auto mechanics, chemistry, etc) or lifelong activity (hobbies like stamp collecting, sports like cycling). Some overlap in both (photography as a hobby or occupation, for example). I have not seen anything in this thread (except the couple of folks who have been involved with the Orienteering MB) that is really aimed toward answering this set of questions that BSA National will be asking. So far, use of GPS in the BSA context has been as a game, not a skill. If it can be shown that there are skills involved that help develop self-discipline, citizenship, fitness, etc, then the badge stands a chance. (hint - self-discipline is needed to organize yourself for locating the cache; skill in using the GPSR can be useful for SAR, and participating in SAR is part of community participation, hence citixenship; getting out in the hills and woods promotes fitness; learning the ethical standards of geocaching can develop character - ya gotta understand and say these things. It can't just be "geocaching is fun").

A couple posts implied that a large fraction of adolescent males would just run amok if you introduced them to geocaching. Might I suggest that if one of the requirements (as in many of the existing merit badges) specifically addressed ethical and moral questions, this would reduce the likelihood of occurence.

-- OGBO, Eagle 1954, Silver Beaver 1999, OA (Ordeal 1957, Vigil 1997), CM, SM, etc, etc (either Overtrained or Untrainable <_< )

OOPS! I think I mis-spoke in my earlier post, and I'm afraid I might have caused a tangent here that I didn't mean to. I posted about wanting merit badge (boy scouts) and beltloop and pin (vub scouts) in Geocaching. I did not mean that. I meant that I would like to see these in 'GPS Navigation'. Forgive me. What I would like to see is completely independant of geocaching, except in that local caches could certainly be used to fulfill certain achievements. I really wasn't proposing that caches be set up by, or even specifically for the use of, Scouts.

I like geocaching. It's fun. But I certainly wouldn't want to promote it as the primary use for GPSs. I would be more interested in seeing Scouts become familiar with the use, history, and concepts of the technology for safety and to help participate in rescue and recovery operations if they decide to assist local Search & Rescue teams.

If they get into the wonderful world of geocaching along the way, heck, all the better.

I read the orienteering merit badge requirements and compared it to my experience geocaching. I know there will be a lot of angry responses to this, but I think that geocaching requires a much shallower skill set and depth of knowlege than and all of the other merit badges I have read the requirements for. I would be interested to see the proposed requirements.

No argument here. And, speaking as a former Scout, I can readily see the distinction between the two. (FYI - I had the Orienteering merit badge)

Orienteering is different from Geocaching. It takes a bit more skill to use a map and compass (easy now, I know a lot of us use them in addition to the GPS'r) and successfully plan/plot a course with a topo map. Orienteering requires more forethought, in that you need to choose the path of 'least resistance' on your way to the goal.

Also, I'm having a little difficulty getting my head around what could or would comprise a reasonable test of skills for a Geocaching Merit Badge. What criteria would a candidate be judged upon? Difficulty level? Would it be (gasp) about the numbers? Practicing CITO would be a given; you would think.

What, in your opinion, would be a fair set of requirements to get the badge?

I support a GPS Navigation merit badge. I do not support a geocaching merit badge nor do I support a Golf merit badge, but I would suppose since Golf is indeed an elective merit badge then other activities could have them too.

I also would support a geocaching Boy Scout patch. As a former Boy Scout I remember how patches were the shiznit. I proudly wore my Gettysburg segment patches for several years.

Gettysburg%20Patches.jpg

Edited by Jeremy

I said it once before

While orienteering doesn't have the same appeal, it has more practical use in everyday life than Geocaching.  Mind you, I'm not saying that Geocaching isn't fun, but it isn't going to help you when you're lost on the back side of Mt. Baldy. :huh:

Geocaching is a great adjunct to orienteering and earning the orienteering merit badge.  You can talk about the coordinates and show the difference between Mag and True North easily.  If the GPS has a Topo display, that's cool too.

But I would never leave home for a long hike in the woods without my compass as well (for many reasons), and if I were trapped and lost in the deep woods with a scout as my guide, I'd much rather have one with an orienteering merit badge and a compass, than one with a GPS and a geocaching badge.

Added comment - I note in the news releases linked to (by several steps) that it says Magellan supplied eXplorist 200 and 600, plus the 700 car nav for the staff vehicles at the Jamboree. Actually, it was the 220 (pre-release) and a pre-release 600-upgrade. I think there may have been some eXplorist XLs as well, although I may be remembering those from the ORShow right after the Jamboree. Since the staff vehicles were donated by GM, and all equipped with OnStar, the Magellan car-nav was a bit redundant, or would have been if most of the OnStars hadn't been activated. Got me to wondering, though, about the 4WD full-on offroad SUVs and pickups - does OnStar work when you are stuck in the swamp or 40 miles off the nearest road? I'll have to listen to their ads to see if any of them have someone telling the OnStar rep "yes, I need help, since my Yukon is upside down in a canyon and the flash flood is rising" :huh:

Oh, someone posted that they recalled that Orienteering MB had been required for Eagle. Not so. It has only been around for abt 10 or 12 years, and has always been in the optional list. There is an orienteering requirement for First Class, although that is often misinterpreted as a pure compass course, since it includes measuring the height of something you can't directly measure (like a tree or cliff) and the width of something you also can't directly measure (like a river or canyon). My son was in the first group to complete the Orienteering MB in our council shortly after it was officially announced.

I think GPS navaigation merit badge would be terrific. I would also like to see it represented in Venturing also. I have been involved in Boy Scouts for 14 years. Currently an Assistant Scoutmaster and our Venture Crew Advisor. We go geocaching almost everywhere we go and the kids love it. A friend of mine is involved with their cub pack and at the end of the year they use their GPS's for a big scavenger hunt with the kids... they just eat it up. More power to you and good luck!

As a Boy Scout I think that this should be added to orienteering like skating can be inline or speed so should orienteering map and compass and gps. I have just started to integrate geocaching with my troop and I am planning to bring it farther in but for now it is for older scouts who already have the orienteering merit badge

I don't think a seperate badge is really warranted. I think it can be used as an added skill set under Orienteering, but I doubt a large majority of scouts have GPS units. I use the GPS unit in the woods with my children, but I am far more concerened that they learn how to navigate without it for their own personal safety.

I find that doubtful, especially if the goal was to teach scouts that a GPS unit can be a great tool or a decent doorstop, depending on the situation. Many of the merit badges are designed to teach you life skills, not just skills that save your life. If you are worried about a scout relying on technology you should blame the scout leader for an improper instruction.

Navigation is one thing but map making, GIS, and GPS navigation are very useful tools too. An elective merit badge fits the bill here far more than golf. It's cheaper than golf too.

Wow! It was cool to see the Gettysburg Tri-patch! I have done that many times. UGH! How many times did we go around little round top???

I feel the need to defend my statement on GPS vs. Orienteering. Although Orienteering is an elective AND is different as a sport the badge teaches advanced land navigation and symbology of competition courses. Within each MB there are requirements that fall under the "choose ONE" catagory which are more often than not variations of some aspect related to the badge. There have been badges combined in the past taking peices of similar badges and making new ones. Why not combine two excellent ways of navigation into one badge.

Now speaking from a traditionalist long family line of scouts. BSA gets a little giddy whenever you mention changing tradition unless it effects their image. Older badges like Hiking, camping, the Citizenships and other traditionals INCLUDING orienteering are tough to get changes made to because they are the backbone of the Scouting program.

Good god do any of you remember the rucus Tiger Cubs made when they came into the scene.

BTW Jeremy what's wrong with golf? It's a sport... anyone remeber the now defunct Rabbit Raising??

Angry-Beaver

Wow there are a lot of posts here....most of you will be hearing from me, as there is a LOT going on with geocaching and BSA. For example, there will be a Geocaching and Scouting course (pilot for the June 2006 Philmont course) at the Florida Sea Base this Jan 9-15 if there are at least 10 people who sign up. Email me if you are interested. There are so many ways to use GPS and geocaching to support the Scouting program, and as more Scouters learn about the possibilities, the more fully GPS use will be integrated into the Scouting program.

Re the merit badge - I have discussed this with National and yes they are aware of the interest. They are currently finishing up the huge project of reviewing and updating all of the existing MB's and as such there wont be much new MB development until that effort is completed. Also, as discussed by one post, the cost for development of a MB is high - six figures - and so there does need to be care in the process. GPS navigation, with geocaching as part of it, has a lot of material that could be covered, and I also agree that "caching by the Scout oath and Law" and reinforcement of LNT rules should be a requirement for ALL of us.

My personal preference would be a stand alone GPS MB, with orienteering MB as a prerequisite. That not only ensures the proper and very needed map and compass skills (boy does GPS use underscore the need for those!) but reassures those uncomfortable with the technology that traditional Scout skills will remain intact. But we'll see.

Edited by mousewiz
I don't think a seperate badge is really warranted. I think it can be used as an added skill set under Orienteering, but I doubt a large majority of scouts have GPS units. I use the GPS unit in the woods with my children,  but I am far more concerened that they learn how to navigate without it for their own personal safety.

Can't be lumped with Orienteering.. no electronic help allowed.... See many posts above.

A few comments.

Don't think that the BSA is ignorant of geocaching or GPSr. As others have noted, geocaching was an activity at the National Jamboree, there will be a geocaching training event at the Philmont Training Center next summer. Here is the course description: "This course teaches Boy Scout Leaders how to use this new sport to enhance their troop in a number of ways. Participants will learn to use GPS technology and geocaching to add excitement to their troop operations while supporting traditional Scouting skills and Values. The course will culminate with the participant's own recruiting and retention plan to take back home, using geocaching to help exceed the membership goals of their units."

Geocaching has been added as an activity of the BSA's new leadership training course for the youth leaders of boy scout troops. Many in venturing are involved in geocaching, too.

I initially fealt that GPS/geocaching could be added to the Orienteering merit badge, but after reading some of the other responses, I think the proposal for a GPS Navigation badge is probably a better idea (one that has both GC has a major part of, and could include letterboxing).

Prehaps with the above things going on, one will come about soon.

Oh, someone posted that they recalled that Orienteering MB had been required for Eagle. Not so. It has only been around for abt 10 or 12 years, and has always been in the optional list. There is an orienteering requirement for First Class, although that is often misinterpreted as a pure compass course, since it includes measuring the height of something you can't directly measure (like a tree or cliff) and the width of something you also can't directly measure (like a river or canyon). My son was in the first group to complete the Orienteering MB in our council shortly after it was officially announced.

Off topic.. but to clear up some statements that have been made Re Orienteering and Scouts.

You are correct that Orienteering has never been required for Eagle, but your time line is off quite a bit. The badge has been around for 31 years. The original requirements and booklet were written by Bjorn Kjellstrom.. a partner in Silva Corporation who actually coined the word "orienteering" and used to supply compasses to BSA with the BSA logo. That company is now Bunton and the Silva name is owned by another organization.

Unfortunately the First Class requirements are not Orienteering but some combination of hiking and geometry. I was asked to, and did, rewrite both the requirement and the Scoutmasters Handbook a couple years ago to fix this and other problems, but to date no action has occured.

The real point is that Orienteering and Geocaching require some similar skills, but not enough to have them lumped together into a single badge. It would be better if the thread stuck with Geocaching or better yet Electronic Navigation.

more data is on my web site http://scoutorienteering.com

I initially fealt that GPS/geocaching could be added to the Orienteering merit badge, but after reading some of the other responses, I think the proposal for a GPS Navigation badge is probably a better idea (one that has both GC has a major part of, and could include letterboxing).

Prehaps with the above things going on, one will come about soon.

Here's my two cents:

I think that GPS Navigation is an excellent idea for scouts (I being a Cub Scout leader and active in Boy Scouts) as long as it is not tied to Geocaching. The sport itself would be a wonderful "added benefit".

However, I think the Orienteering badge should be a pre-req for the GPS badge. It would be a shame to lose the basic skills required out in the woods.

Scouting in general is an excellent learning for young men that will someday become (hopefully) strong husbands, fathers, and leaders

BTW Jeremy what's wrong with golf? It's a sport... anyone remeber the now defunct Rabbit Raising??

There's nothing wrong whatsoever with golf. My initial feeling was "geocaching? Kinda weird for a merit badge" thinking the word "merit" through. I would think that a skillset like orienteering or even basket weaving is at least a good life skill to have. Geocaching and golf really isn't (unless you use golf it for, say, job networking). However since golf is in the mix it makes me think "hey, geocaching could be a merit badge after all" though I am always more supportive of a broader skillset like GIS and GPS.

However, I think the Orienteering badge should be a pre-req for the GPS badge. It would be a shame to lose the basic skills required out in the woods.

Hey I kinda like that, though I don't recall whether elective badges had pre-requisites.

Letterboxing, if anything, fits as an activity for orienteering, not GPS navigation. It's probably the most anti-GPS out there.

BTW Jeremy what's wrong with golf? It's a sport...  anyone remeber the now defunct Rabbit Raising??

There's nothing wrong whatsoever with golf. My initial feeling was "geocaching? Kinda weird for a merit badge" thinking the word "merit" through. I would think that a skillset like orienteering or even basket weaving is at least a good life skill to have. Geocaching and golf really isn't (unless you use golf it for, say, job networking). However since golf is in the mix it makes me think "hey, geocaching could be a merit badge after all" though I am always more supportive of a broader skillset like GIS and GPS.

There is a generic "Sports" and an "Athletics" badge which are supposed to take care of all the sports and athletic needs of the kids. The boys select a sport or two from a menu.. I forget the details... and do some requirements in them. The party line is that they want to foster learning but not competition. We had some problems along this line in updating the Orienteering skills and requirements and had to downplay the competitive nature of our sport.

Yes I remember Rabbit Raising...... How about Pathfinding? That was the first navigational badge as far as I know.....