Tracking 2005 Wa Geocoins?

Prying Pandora

I haven't tried to activate any of my new 2005 coins until today, but it appears that it can't be done. All I've been able to find is that the 2004 coins can be activated and tracked, but the 2005 coins couldn't be tracked until they were all distributed. Distribution was completed months ago. Is tracking ever going to happen for the 2005 coins?

I am too!....I was curious how all the state and personal coins were showing up all over the place on cache stats. I see that if you order a large quanity of coins and pay the extra $1.50 each you can have them tracked on GC. Hmmm, wasn't that a big discussion last year and this year on our WA Geocoin and the powers that be said it wasn't possible????? I guess now if you pony up the bucks you can do anything.

What is the purpose of tracking these coins when the majority of them are grabbed for personal collections and never see the light of day? As you can tell I'm not a coin collector, but I think if it's trackable then it should travel. The 5 WA coins I bought last year have disappeared. The 2 I found that I passed along have also disappeared. Can someone tell me of 1 WA 2004 that is still active?

I made a TB out of one of my 2005 coins and received several e-mails from geocachers thanking me for doing that. I enjoy finding a nice coin in a cache be it a USA geocoin or one of the few trackable ones. The M10 coin is the ultimate find and one that has been very special. It's ashame that it's become just another pass around coin and one that I could have sold on E-bay for $$$$$.

Are we selling out geocaching?.......IMHO it looks like that's the direction we are going. Different strokes for different folks, but please don't cheapen geocaching too much or I might just take a serious look at Terracaching!.....oh no :huh:

Well, at least for the 2005 coins, I believe they will have to be logable only on the WSGA site because that's already been minted into the coin. It appears that the person responsible for setting up the tracking hasn't found time to do it yet, so the coin I dropped on Friday will be picked up before I can activate it as my own. I guess it doesn't matter since I'll never see it again anyway.

Are we selling out geocaching?.......IMHO it looks like that's the direction we are going. Different strokes for different folks, but please don't cheapen geocaching too much

Do baseball cards sell out baseball, or cheapen it?

The main point of caching is still....caching. Geocoin collecting is just a sidelight of the hobby; almost any activity generates some kind of memorabilia. Some cachers like to buy, sell, or trade coins, in addition to putting them in caches. Most coins are now made expressly for collecting, even if they are trackable (I too think it's silly to have gc.com trackable coins that are only going into collections, but some folks gotta have thei icons, I guess).

If you don't want to collect coins, don't. But don't judge those who do - it's just another way to have fun. Besides, the person with the best geocoin collection I know is...Moun10Bike! I don't think any of the hundred or so coins in his binder are going into caches. :huh:

If you don't want to collect coins, don't. But don't judge those who do - it's just another way to have fun. Besides, the person with the best geocoin collection I know is...Moun10Bike!  I don't think any of the hundred or so coins in his binder are going into caches.  :huh:

I'm not judging those that collect, but I think it's wrong to make those coins trackable and a icon on their stats just to have the icon!........Especially to make money on it just to satisfy someones greed to make more money. I know it's all about making money and all, but I would hope it's more than that, but it doesn't appear to be that way on GC now days.

You know my view and you don't like it, but thats just me. I get a pretty coin, collectable or not and I pass it on. Why rat hole it in my bag of junk when it can be shared with someone else. I feel the same way with the 2 M10 coins I've found. I hope the last one will be passed on and another geocacher will enjoy the thrill of finding it like I did and it won't go in someones collection.........What better way to share geocaching than passing on the thrill. I hope it continues, but I don't see that happening now with the coins and TB's.

I was really surprised by what I read on the collecting pages of the forum and the direction and scope that collecting has gone. GC took advantage of that and are reaping the rewards. If they take that money and better GC then great. I've yet to see that. Maybe there are big plans, but it's slow coming and a little work on the PQ's would be a start....hint hint

If you don't want to collect coins, don't. But don't judge those who do - it's just another way to have fun. Besides, the person with the best geocoin collection I know is...Moun10Bike!  I don't think any of the hundred or so coins in his binder are going into caches.  :huh:

I'm not judging those that collect, but I think it's wrong to make those coins trackable and a icon on their stats just to have the icon!........Especially to make money on it just to satisfy someones greed to make more money. I know it's all about making money and all, but I would hope it's more than that, but it doesn't appear to be that way on GC now days.

You know my view and you don't like it, but thats just me. I get a pretty coin, collectable or not and I pass it on. Why rat hole it in my bag of junk when it can be shared with someone else. I feel the same way with the 2 M10 coins I've found. I hope the last one will be passed on and another geocacher will enjoy the thrill of finding it like I did and it won't go in someones collection.........What better way to share geocaching than passing on the thrill. I hope it continues, but I don't see that happening now with the coins and TB's.

I was really surprised by what I read on the collecting pages of the forum and the direction and scope that collecting has gone. GC took advantage of that and are reaping the rewards. If they take that money and better GC then great. I've yet to see that. Maybe there are big plans, but it's slow coming and a little work on the PQ's would be a start....hint hint

Greed? What business is out there strictly for charity? Groundspeak is a privately owned business out to make a profit. If you want to be able to use certain services, they have every right to charge you for it.

As for M10B, he's traded for and bought most of those coins.

Hey and by the way, TB's are also a sideline of the game. Perhaps that too cheapens the original intent of the game eh?

Greed? What business is out there strictly for charity? Groundspeak is a privately owned business out to make a profit. If you want to be able to use certain services, they have every right to charge you for it.

I'm all for Groundspeak making a profit. That means all those promised improvements and fixes will someday happen. I think my membership is grossly undercharged. I would gladly pay double or triple what I pay now.

Go Groundspeak! Charge those coin collectors. Make Waymarking a chargable site just like Geocaching. Geocaching.com has been around long enough to start charging the free loaders too. Imagine what could be done with all that money......We might even get the much talked about pocket query improvements. :ph34r:

At the risk of digressing from the current dialogue, I'll return to the subject line of this thread.

As of 10:08 this morning, you may now activate those 2005 WA geocoins.

There are some bugs in the way a couple of the pages display but the activation portion should work fine.

Sorry for the delay. There were circumstances beyond my control. I just work here... <_<