Waymarks Not Being Reviewed

Question is, now that one category clearly has a manager who isnt taking any action on waymarks despite the fact that he logs onto the site daily, do we have to wait until January/February before anything gets done? Can tptb initiate anything now to keep that category from stagnating? Change managers or even disable it until the category manager system is revamped? Something like this does take some of the glitter off the new toy.

The category in question is Lion Statues. The last approval was Sept 29th.

That's the one I would have whinged about, had I been in the mood. :ph34r:

I wouldnt have whined at all, except that this is in beta version still and this is a valid issue that should be addressed.

I sent an email some weeks ago. No reply.

At the very least, it should be offline until the new system is in place with multiple participants on the manager side. That feature you mentioned of how many waymarks in the queue may be deceptive. An unpopular unattended category may have 5 waymarks waiting for approval over a period of weeks. A popular category may have 25 waymarks waiting for approval over a period of 2 days. The numbers wouldnt reflect the management of a category accurately. And the category management still needs to be attended to.

Perhaps your feature might also mention the date the oldest waymark has been sitting in the approval queue? That may reflect how well the category is managed. For those waymarks which have been reviewed but cant be approved because of certain photo requirements etc, they can be designated as awaiting further action and not be counted in your feature. (I hope I was somewhat clear on that.)

Gee, sounds vaguely like a geocache review queue and a geocache hold queue, except with the sort being by category rather than country/province/state. I could offer some observations and further suggestions, but I'll keep my mouth shut like a good company man.

Ok so it seems to be reinventing the wheel.

I could offer some observations and further suggestions, but I'll keep my mouth shut like a good company man.

Ive avoided making any company man type comments since they do not seem to do anything constructive. I want Waymarking to succeed. I do not want to play all by myself in Arizona (as I seem to be so far). If you have observations and suggestions I would like to hear them.

it now appears that group management is probably the way to go.

Ick... I still say that auto-approve is the way to go. It's worked for quite some time now, until all the sudden people have the ability up front and it looks sexy and feels ego empowering, until they realize they have to do something to keep the thing going and they get bored with it.

I dig the wiki- option. It's working all over the place now on the web, and not just Wikipedia. It works because people that it takes people in while they're still interested in the idea and allows someone new to pick it up when the other guy gets bored with little to no requirements from the original owner.

Kinda like cachers who hide caches for the sake of hiding them, but don't do anything about it when 5, 6, 7 cachers in a row tell them to fix their cache cause it's log has been soaking wet for three months. Eventually, another cacher will come along and bring a dry log with them.

I dig the wiki- option. It's working all over the place now on the web, and not just Wikipedia. It works because people that it takes people in while they're still interested in the idea and allows someone new to pick it up when the other guy gets bored with little to no requirements from the original owner.

There are actually a ton of warts under the covers when it comes to wikis. However, an adapted wiki is useful.

Patience is a virtue with a beta site. I do like, however, giving some indication of whether there are waymarks in the queue and how old the queue is. I'll add that as a feature request.

Its just ridiculous to wait for over 10 days to have a waymark approved. If it continues at this rate it will be another reason cachers will get turned off and just stay away from WM and watch it wither on the vine of indecisions.

Meh. These things are being addressed. It is, of course, a beta site addressing a concept that has never been attempted before. Just stay away until the features are implemented.

Have you contacted the owner? Since there is no policy about stagnant categories I'm open to suggestions.

Having a feature to alert that there are waymarks in the queue for x number of days may at least make you aware that the category isn't being attended to.

i have had a focault pendulum posted since 10.8.2005. i have emailed the category owner severyal time asking for it to be approved.

not even a reply (ie: i am out of town/the country, and do not anticipate being able to accept your mark until......).

what is he trying to fond someone to visit the site to see that i am not lying? i have put pics on waymark...proving the existence of it.

i had some art cars that sat for a while before they were approved, they responded with ACTION after i contacted them, not IGNORANCE.

so if anopther person wants to add a mark to the pendulum category it would be nice if he would see "the line" formed on........(ie: 10.8.5) and there are "X" marks in this line.

this would also allow TPTB to see who is doing 'their job' (mr company man) and who is not.

i am sure that, like any 'job' if someone is no longer willing to complete the work, there is someone else who will. it is nice to have a category that you really care about, i am sure the pendulum guy is some sort of engineer or something, but i could care less about tham and maybe do "a better job".

Hi there,

I also wonder that I reported a waymark for "Art Vehicles" on 29. November and since today no reaction, also no reaction on a PM. Looking into Forum, I can realize that the person is posting nearly every day.

I think, that it should not be created a new proposal when not looking for new waymarks to be approved.

Please delete our waymark in this proposal. We are no longer interested in this.

Greetings from Bavaria / Germany from TeamAstelix

Still waiting on my "lion statue" waymark, submitted on October 13th. But I'm confident that the "group management" concept will help with this issue, once implemented. If one manager is unavailable, another one can take care of the waymark reviews. I just hope that the owner of the lion statue category is alright (no illness, etc.). Until then, I just keep reminding myself that it's new, and the front page says "beta."

In the meantime, I've approved close to 250 waymarks in the categories I manage. I am having fun!

I'm still waiting and will wait till HELL Freezes over. There is a problem here but its not the concept of BETA. Its the Category owners. Some of them don't know the difference between PLACING a waymark and LOGGING a waymark.

Here is an example that I received tonight.

This is an automated message from Waymarking.com

In reference to WMNZ:

This is an automated message from Waymarking.com

Ref our Medal of Honor Resting Places waymark, approval has been pending awaiting the addition of the requisite photograph of the gravesite.

Team T.

--------------------------------

From the Waymark Category Page - More Detail

Quick Description:

Locate the resting place of one of approximately 3400 Americans who have received the nations highest award for valor: The Congressional Medal of Honor.

Detailed Description:

The final resting place of a recipient of the Medal of Honor.

Instructions for placing waymarks into this category:

Find the final resting place of a recipient of the Medal of Honor and post it along with the appropriate coordinates.

Instructions for logging waymarks of this category:

To properly log your find, post a photograph of the medal recipient's grave marker and your GPSr. No memorial markers*; therefore, photographs must be of the final resting place of the recipient of the medal.

WAYPOINTS WITHOUT A PHOTO WILL NOT BE APPROVED.

-------------------------------------------------------------

If they want Photos why can't they put the requirement under the heading for placing, not under the logging requirements . Or was that supposed to be LOGS WITHOUT A PHOTO WILL NOT BE APPROVED.

And there is more than one waymark in that category that doesn't have photos.

So why do some require photos while some waymarks in this category don't have photos.

Thats not a BETA problem.

The Lions category person checks the site nearly every day. Who knows why he or she isnt approving them. I wish tptb would at least take the category offline for now until the group management is in place to relieve the frustration that people feel when their waymarks do not get approved, or allow us to start a thread listing the categories that are not being managed atm.

The Lions category person checks the site nearly every day. Who knows why he or she isnt approving them. I wish tptb would at least take the category offline for now until the group management is in place to relieve the frustration that people feel when their waymarks do not get approved, or allow us to start a thread listing the categories that are not being managed atm.

Good idea. The site may be in beta, but these AWOL category owners are damaging the reputation of the site. And a damaged reputation is not easily repaired, even when the site releases from beta.

yea, now i am waiting on the Quarry category owner's approval of my 11.1.2005 waymark.

have sent an email, no response, and they log in regularly--but is that the GC.com or WM.com login date on the profile?

some category owners are on top of things (asking for the photo while it is uploading--yes i had this happen), others are normal (every few days), and then the rare ones.

if one does not want to manage their category so adamently, then they should set it to accept ALL waymarks submitted nd let the peer review manage the category. they might could get away with 'fake marks' for now, but it would be eventually found out [when someone visits it].

Well 2 months have gone by and its still not approved, which is really a shame.  Oh well give it a few more months and maybe the category owner will wake up.

Did you submit the required photograph?

I notice that the Waymark page for Medal of Honor Resting Places now indicates the photo is required for placing Waymarks, as well as for logging them:

Instructions for placing waymarks into this category:

Find the final resting place of a recipient of the Medal of Honor and post the coordinates along with a photograph of the grave marker.

I notice that at least one Waymark in this category has been approved since you submitted your waymark back in December.

Patience is a virtue. My "Lion," submitted on October 13th, was finally listed over New Year's weekend.

Waits eagerly for group management....

I have 4 categories. Only one has an unapproved waymark, and that's because it lacks the required picture. I sent the owner an email when they first submitted the waymark and a reminder a couple of weeks ago. How long should I wait for them to get the picture posted?

In regards to that, I posted two waymarks this last friday. I go thte pictures up and posted as required on sunday. One of the waymarks was accepted immediately, the other has the * of unapproved. Both are in bold. I emailed the owner of one of them (the * one) and let the owner know I had uploaded the required pics. Nothing, not even a burp in my direction of "I got your email, can't get to it right now..."

I personally never go more than one day without checking my email, unless we are out of town. I have too many business and personal hobby things to update/check-in/view new versions of/keep in touch with to NOT keep up with it.

(No, I am not really THAT important, but I do have a lot of correspondence)

AND, should I ever become a catagory owner/manager/whatever, I would find it very irresponsible to let it go for more than a day without at least responding to the submission. If I was out of town, I would have one of those auto-generated things stating I would be back to work by whatever date, so they could know when I would be reviewing such things...

AND, should I ever become a catagory owner/manager/whatever, I would find it very irresponsible to let it go for more than a day without at least responding to the submission. If I was out of town, I would have one of those auto-generated things stating I would be back to work by whatever date, so they could know when I would be reviewing such things...
Further to the 'Quote' and as I have mentioned previously....Add a note on your'Category Page' so when a 'Waymark' is being submitted ..They will see that you will be absent for whatever time.

Patience is a virtue. My "Lion," submitted on October 13th, was finally listed over New Year's weekend.

Waits eagerly for group management....

Mine finally did too. I have 2 other lion waymarks in mind which I will not submit until that category is turned over to group management.