No Duplicate Waymarks

As a category owner, one of my responsibilities is to approve submitted waymarks. What is the simplest way to ensure that the waymark being considered is not a duplicate of one that is already approved in the category?

Ideally, on the 'Approve/Deny' page, there would be a warning that states that 'this waymark is x miles from this currently approved waymark'.

How are other category owners ensuring that there are no dupes?

I manage a popular category, Pennsylvania Historic Markers, and I did run into a problem of having a duplicate submission. I approved it in error, quickly realized that after viewing the list, and was able to backspace to the approve/deny page. Not an optimal setup, as there's no other "archive" functionality. For this category it's important, because there are many markers with the same name but in different locations, like the series of "Gettysburg Campaign" signs that are placed at each location important to that episode in Pennsylvania history. With more than 100 waymarks populating my category, it's starting to become difficult keeping track of them all.

I believe in the future there will be an "archive" button for the manager(s). Also, if I'm remembering correctly I asked for a site enhancement whereby the manager can see the "nearby waymarks in this category" either right on the review page or as a link from it. I think Bootron was receptive to that idea. I am too lazy to find my own post, though.

Well it looks like a waymark slipped through the loopholes out here in CO. While doing a search today I found 2 waymarks for the same place. And they are in the same category, with I believe the same name. Now is that is not cache density I wouldn't know what you would call it.

Edited by Tahosa and Sons

See, this is the problem. I really thought that one of the reasons for this new site was because we were having these sorts of problems with locationless caches. Duplicate submissions.

I had been under the impression that this new site would show the category owner if there was another waymark in that category within one mile, so we didn't have to look for these duplicates.

I'm a bit frustrated, because I had thought this, and now I have to waymarks in my category, that are the same without my realizing it. So what do I do? They've both been there a while....frustrated about this. :rolleyes:

Do not fear! It's just the perils of beta testing.

I noticed a nice change when reviewing my latest batch of historic marker waymarks, which tend to come in bunches as someone spends an afternoon documenting each marker in their town or county. The review page now has an alert that tells me of any other nearby waymarks in the same category. It includes instructions to NOT approve the new one if it is a duplicate of one of the nearby listings. This is great, and was a suggestion made during the beta testing. Thanks, Bootron, for the enhancement to the waymark review toolset!

Ambrosia, as for your dilemma that was created prior to the new "nearby waymarks" alert functionality, I am sure that TPTB can archive the second submission for you if you could post a link.

Do not fear! It's just the perils of beta testing.

I noticed a nice change when reviewing my latest batch of historic marker waymarks, which tend to come in bunches as someone spends an afternoon documenting each marker in their town or county. The review page now has an alert that tells me of any other nearby waymarks in the same category. It includes instructions to NOT approve the new one if it is a duplicate of one of the nearby listings. This is great, and was a suggestion made during the beta testing. Thanks, Bootron, for the enhancement to the waymark review toolset!

Ambrosia, as for your dilemma that was created prior to the new "nearby waymarks" alert functionality, I am sure that TPTB can archive the second submission for you if you could post a link.

I'm so glad that is added, thanks for the update! :rolleyes:

I manage a popular category, Pennsylvania Historic Markers, and I did run into a problem of having a duplicate submission. I approved it in error, quickly realized that after viewing the list, and was able to backspace to the approve/deny page. Not an optimal setup, as there's no other "archive" functionality.

OMG?!? You mean the site doesn't give, at the very least, a simple warning that states "You are about to approve a waypoint that is only X metres from another waypoint in your category, do you want to continue approving this waypoint?".

God, you'd think that would have been one of the first things they implemented. Unbelievable.

I manage a popular category, Pennsylvania Historic Markers, and I did run into a problem of having a duplicate submission.  I approved it in error, quickly realized that after viewing the list, and was able to backspace to the approve/deny page.  Not an optimal setup, as there's no other "archive" functionality.

OMG?!? You mean the site doesn't give, at the very least, a simple warning that states "You are about to approve a waypoint that is only X metres from another waypoint in your category, do you want to continue approving this waypoint?".

God, you'd think that would have been one of the first things they implemented. Unbelievable.

There has been a warning message since day one on the waymark creation side. If you try to create a waymark within a close distance to another in the same category, that has been flagged since the beta test period began. The enhancement made concurrent with the soft launch was to add a similar flag for the category manager, as we've now proven that waymark creators are ignoring the warning.

You don't need to address me as God, but I do appreciate the compliment.

Those who make waymarks didnt get the warning unless the conflicting waymark was already approved. If it was not yet approved, then we wouldnt get a warning. So if you are approving waymarks in bunches, then you could get duplicate waymarks.

I kind of wondered about that issue myself. I've submitted Penny Smashers that have been very close together (within 50-100 ft), but only got warnings about the ones that had been approved within the prescribed radius. The only way I could see resolving it (at the time) was looking at the photos I submitted and actually comparing the locations in the photos.

Even with the new Owner warnings, it seems like you'd have to be pretty careful. I wonder how often the database updates to produce the warning? If you do the Approvals quickly (i.e. before the database has a chance to react), seems like duplicates could slip through.

The proximity warning on the waymark creation page only pops up for waymarks in the category that have already been approved. At least that was my experience a few weeks ago when I submitted multiple waymarks in the same category. Bunch o' historic markers, five of them, spaced 25 feet apart. Waymarker's heaven. I felt like a kid at a Nashville Wal-Mart with a bag full of pill bottles.

Wow! Didn't take long to get an example of when the proximity warning doesn't work (or is ignored, as the case may be):

Submitted on 11/10

Trevi Fountain

And the same one submitted on 9/13

Fontana di Trevi

I imagine with these really humongous Categories that sifting through the possible duplicates will be a HUGE job. My guess is that the Fountains Category must be set on Auto-Approve, in which case it's really up to the person submitting to pay attention to the Proximity Warnings.

I imagine with these really humongous Categories that sifting through the possible duplicates will be a HUGE job. My guess is that the Fountains Category must be set on Auto-Approve, in which case it's really up to the person submitting to pay attention to the Proximity Warnings.

Any cache that triggers a proximity warning shouldn't be auto-approved. The category owner should be forced to apply some quality/quanity assurance on their category. If they can't be bothered to that much, they shouldn't be category owners.

I imagine with these really humongous Categories that sifting through the possible duplicates will be a HUGE job.  My guess is that the Fountains Category must be set on Auto-Approve, in which case it's really up to the person submitting to pay attention to the Proximity Warnings.

Any cache that triggers a proximity warning shouldn't be auto-approved. The category owner should be forced to apply some quality/quanity assurance on their category. If they can't be bothered to that much, they shouldn't be category owners.

Thats a good point, if a category is set to auto-approve, but there is a proximity 'issue' does the waymark still get auto-approved?

Anyone know?

I imagine with these really humongous Categories that sifting through the possible duplicates will be a HUGE job.  My guess is that the Fountains Category must be set on Auto-Approve, in which case it's really up to the person submitting to pay attention to the Proximity Warnings.

Thats a good point, if a category is set to auto-approve, but there is a proximity 'issue' does the waymark still get auto-approved?

Anyone know?

If it's on auto-approve it presently does get approved. However, I have just recently added a feature to allow category managers to go back and approve/deny auto-approved waymarks. And the approve feature now includes the same check as it does for the waymark poster, so the category manager will know whether or not a waymark is already included in the site. He can now deny an already accepted waymark if he realizes in hindsight that something is wrong with it.

I'm tempted by the idea of not allowing waymarks within a certain proximity if the category is on auto approve, we'll debate it this week and perhaps I'll implement it in the next release.

Wow!  Didn't take long to get an example of when the proximity warning doesn't work (or is ignored, as the case may be):

Submitted on 11/10

Trevi Fountain

Fontana di Trevi

It was probably ignored. If anyone finds out for certain that the warning feature is actually not working, I would like to know.

I have just recently added a feature to allow category managers to go back and approve/deny auto-approved waymarks. And the approve feature now includes the same check as it does for the waymark poster, so the category manager will know whether or not a waymark is already included in the site. He can now deny an already accepted waymark if he realizes in hindsight that something is wrong with it.

Thank you!!!!! :ph34r:

I was finally able to go in and get rid of a handful of waymarks in my Dead Vehicles category, which was previously (and naively) on auto-approve. I expect a new thread, flaming me for it, to show up any time now :rolleyes:

I'm tempted by the idea of not allowing waymarks within a certain proximity if the category is on auto approve, we'll debate it this week and perhaps I'll implement it in the next release.

Then the trigger should be less than 500 feet in my opinion. A mile is too much for a nearby proximity warning.

Not necessarily. Some categories may be for items that are larger than a square mile. Actually it does bring up a new feature idea to let the category group decide the radius for the proximity search.

Wow!  Didn't take long to get an example of when the proximity warning doesn't work (or is ignored, as the case may be):

Submitted on 11/10

Trevi Fountain

Fontana di Trevi

It was probably ignored. If anyone finds out for certain that the warning feature is actually not working, I would like to know.

Possibly could the Category owner get a note if someone ignores the proximity warning, so that we will know to look closely at that waymark submission?

--Marky