Question About Gps Units

I am currently using a garmin e-trex (yellow unit) and am very happy with it. I am thinking about upgrading so I can have some maps on the unit when I go out looking for caches. I have been thining about a etrex Legend C or a GPSMAP 60 or 60C. I noticed that the GPSMAP 60s have a quad helix antenna while the etrex have a built in patch antenna. I know that my yellow unit has a lot of trouble under canopy cover and was curious if the 60 was better at picking up satellites with its better antenna. I was also just curious how well people that owned the Legend and GPSMAP 60 liked the units.

Thanks for any input.

wpwfs2003

;) I really love my Garmin map60cs, but not because of the quad-helix antenna. I also own an older Garmin 12xl which has a patch antenna and I do not notice any sinificant difference between the two.

Rather I like the 60cs because it is color for one, it has auto-routing and holds 56mb of detailed city select maps, and holds 1,000 waypoints. It also has a dedicated geocaching file and waypoint symbol. Also I can download directly from the computer using either a USB cord (preferred method) or a serial cord. Also, it uses only 2 AA batteries where the 12xl uses 4.

The antenna doesn't have a great effect on signal compared to an internal patch.

We own a Legend, Vista C, and a 60CS....and I like my Vista C the best, the signal is almost always right on, and the mapping software like CitySelect and such are great!

It's also cheaper than the 60CS.

I think I read someone report that the Vista/Legend C patch antenna not only has much better signal than the Legend/Yellow, but better than the the 60C. I can't remember who posted that though. Also, forum lore says that the patch is more directional, performing better with a clear overhead view (when held flat), while the quad helix performs better with a clear view of of the horizon (not so well in canyons, concrete or natural).

I think I read someone report that the Vista/Legend C patch antenna not only has much better signal than the Legend/Yellow, but better than the the 60C. I can't remember who posted that though. Also, forum lore says that the patch is more directional, performing better with a clear overhead view (when held flat), while the quad helix performs better with a clear view of of the horizon (not so well in canyons, concrete or natural).

I've seen a Legend C used alongside a 60CS and the Legend C consistently had better reception.