Virtual Geocoin/jeep Icons Etc. (again!)...

Within the last month or so we managed to get 13 different & new icons - all from sitting in front of the computer! How easy was that?!

I know it's only a game and a personal thing but I've just decided to delete all of our logs for these and it feels great!!! Once again, the hunger for going back out and finding them for real has instantly returned. I remember the excitement (I know it's sad!) of finding our first geocoin, and the race to get to the cache with a yellow jeep in before anyone else, but that drive had recently gone.

Not that we've got anything against virtual coins etc. (we own one ourselves!), but I thought I'd just share our thoughts now that we've been there and done it. For us personally, the ease of obtaining virtual icons (before finding them for real) had spoilt the fun and we missed that sense of achievement of finding them for real a lot.

Does anyone else feel this way? And might it be an idea to make the virtual versions of icons different. For example semi-transparent that become solid when found for real?

It's a personal choice, and it's only fun, and in my case the Virtual EU GeoCoin which I let loose is just to see how quickly these things move. If someone wants to log it then they can if they want to leave it, again their choice. You could argue that Drive by caches don't add to the fun as most are within yards of your car so actually provide just an easy grab like many virtual caches. I think that sometime people might just take everything far too seriously.

Milton (aka Moote)

Does anyone else feel this way?

Agreed in full.

We also have problems logging them at events so ive seen a white jeep ive never found one in a cache so have'nt logged one yet unlike the yellow jeep deego left in a cache for us.

I heard that after the current competition ends Groundspeak will be selling jeep TB's so people can own the icon as well as find it as for coins the collectors are getting them all at the moment :(

Hi Hancock Clan,

I agree with you - I logged my first virtual the other day, it was the EU coin, and doing it felt a bit like cheating - I'd like to reverse my actions and delete the logs & icon, but can't see how you do that? Is it something I can do, or do I have to contact Moote to remove it, and I assume removing the log does delete the Icon as well?

TIA,

J

After more than 400 finds I still haven't even seen a geocoin or jeep thingy let alone log one. Is this a record?

There's one here right now!

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...b0-8458ed04a26b

(ps does anyone know how to make the link sit behind the word "here" above which would be much cooler than what I've done?... but then I'm a technonumpty so if the link works at all I'm doing ok.)

(ps does anyone know how to make the link sit behind the word "here" above which would be much cooler than what I've done?... but then I'm a technonumpty so if the link works at all I'm doing ok.)

PUT YOUR TEXT IN HERE

[URL=http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=22faba34-185b-42df-8cb0-8458ed04a26b]PUT YOUR TEXT IN HERE[/URL]

Use the http:// button at the top of the text box

Edited by Deego

I agree with Deego that Events are caches, so there's no need to feel that your collection of icons is "tainted" by having logged a geocoin or TB that you found there.

Events are among the most difficult caches to log (as they're only around for a few hours) so it seems quite fair that they "contain" a pubload of items!

HH

Hi, Helen!

Your link worked fine for me, but I don't think we'll dash off to Southampton this weekend for a jeep :(

BTW, from one technonumpty to another, putting Deego's instruction into girlie talk....

When you've pasted the http long line of incomprehensible letters and numbers up in the little box in the top left and pressed OK, you then get My Webpage in a nice shade of royal blue.... Type the name of whatever you want to call your link over the words and press OK again.... and it will be :(

Mrs B

Edited by The Blorenges

I know where there's a white Jeep in Bucks :(

On topic, if people keep putting VTVs and VGCs out, I'll keep hunting them down (they do require some finding. I've some 'key' caches on my watch list for just this 'sieving') but I agree, it makes finding the real thing slightly less of a big deal*

Some time ago I decided if it's a cache on GC.con - even a weird armchair one - then I'd accept it as findable and loggable. On that basis, VTBs and VGCs amount to the same thing. As an aside, my first TB was a virtual one, and it was killed by MATO** for being a 'threat to their servers'. Does anyone else know of a VTB/GC which has been halted? As I see more and more of them I do kinda wonder why mine was singled out (TBC) and marked for death.

SP

*Relative term

**our Masters Across The Ocean - TPTB in America, rather than the UK ones.

Surely people who object are taking things too seriously?

I have logged one or two of these. I am not much 'bovvered' either way, but if the TB/coin owner wishes for their TB to be logged virtually, you are fulfilling their wishes as much as if you had moved their fluffy teddy from one physical cache to another.

Either way, I don't cry myself to sleep at night covered in guilt and shame, but then again, nor do I leap up and down with enthusiasm when I see a virtual TB... I may chose to log it, though! :(

:D:( I'm sorry, I really don't understand this "virtual" world at all...or how it works. As far as I know, I've never had contact with a virtual jeep or coin or come across one.... Perhaps somebody who's got one could "put" it into a Blorenge cache for us so that we could "see" it and "get to grips" with it :(

Pretty please

flowers.gif

Mrs B

I believe you should only log when you have seen the item. Thats why we have bought so many coins recently. Also I have a white jeep sat in front of me now which has been sent over from cachers in America. This will be set loose in the UK shortly. Logging virtual coins is pointless.

You won't, they do not exist in the real world, they are virtual. You have to free your mind  :D

OK, I'm opening my channels of communication :( ....I'm feeling for the vibes :D ....

However "virtual" these elusive creatures are, at some point in their existence they have to impinge on our "true reality" of life * so I assume they "materialise" onto a cache page and WOWEEEE you have acquired the ghost of a TB/Coin? :(

(My brain hurts...)

Mrs B

*discuss

Surely people who object are taking things too seriously?

I don't "object" - it's just puzzling, as I can't see any fun in it and it does (very slightly) devalue the "genuine" find. The Hancock Clan summed it all up very well.

This is only a friendly discussion, I really don't mind anyone playing the game this way from time to time if they prefer. The reason it sounds too "serious" to me is that there may be those who are logging these just to add the icon to their profile - which is getting a bit sad.

And try and explain to a muggle why you'd log a virtual coin... I bet SP won't mention it on his next TV special! :(

HH

so I assume they "materialise" onto a cache page

Yup... If you wish to participate in the virtual hunt, go to the TB's page and see what cache it is in, then go to the cache and retrieve the virtual bug using the code that is usually published on the TB's home page. Then drop it wherever you like from the comfort of you arm chair.... Exciting stuff eh?

J

so I assume they "materialise" onto a cache page

Yup... If you wish to participate in the virtual hunt, go to the TB's page and see what cache it is in, then go to the cache and retrieve the virtual bug using the code that is usually published on the TB's home page. Then drop it wherever you like from the comfort of you arm chair.... Exciting stuff eh?

Okaaaay...How do you "go to the TB's page" if you don'y actually have the name/number of the TB? ...cos it doesn't actually exist :(

Okaaaay...How do you "go to the TB's page" if you don'y actually have the name/number of the TB? ...cos it doesn't actually exist 

Goto TRACK TRAVEL BUGS, then ADVANCED SEARCH, then in the keyword box type VIRTUAL... should keep you busy for a while!

Cheers

J

** WARNING ** This could seriously damage your enjoyment of the sport. Remember your integrity is at risk if you fail to find the cache in the real world.

Edited by dakar4x4

Well, I've grabbed the 'birthday TB' that's been doing the rounds. Gave me no personal satisfaction, other than knowing the owner of the TB get's satisfaction from knowing that their TB has been popular.. oh and the sense of community.

But this is meant to be a 'get out there and enjoy life' sport for me. I don't think I'll bother with this again.

Okaaaay...How do you "go to the TB's page" if you don'y actually have the name/number of the TB? ...cos it doesn't actually exist 

Goto TRACK TRAVEL BUGS, then ADVANCED SEARCH, then in the keyword box type VIRTUAL... should keep you busy for a while!

Cheers

J

** WARNING ** This could seriously damage your enjoyment of the sport. Remember your integrity is at risk if you fail to find the cache in the real world.

TB search page

Try typing in your own name

I suppose its like logging every TB at an event by writing the numbers down we can all find profiles with innordinate ammounts of TB's logged compared to caches found.

All this is like the bolting / top roping / on sight / flash debates in rock climbing.

markandlynn no virtuals, locationless or virtual TB's

edit site = sight oops !!

Edited by markandlynn
Perhaps somebody who's got one could "put" it into a Blorenge cache for us so that we could "see" it and "get to grips" with it

Check your Gateway to Wales cache :D

Ooooooooh, I succumbed to the lure of a Virtual :(I am doomed!

...maybe not :D I've hidden it away very quickly in a beautiful spot where I used to live....Nobody will ever find it again (Except possibly a naturist on that beach :( ) At least it's far away...it'll have to work it's way up country now....

Mrs B

All this is like the bolting / top roping / on site / flash debates in rock climbing.

Bolting and top roping I've heard of. But on site / flash? The mind boggles.

The only rock climbing questions for me are, why? Where's the pub? How comes you make it look so easy?

I think that sometime people might just take everything far too seriously.

This is just my point, Moote - virtual coins ARE taking things too seriously! There's no fun (IMO) in logging one from home "just because you can", so why bother?

HH

HH

My attitude is who cares; if you don't want to log you do not have to; it is the person choice.

By removing choice you are restricting freedom, and as a believer of freedom I will maintain my virtual. At least till they get banned by GC.com

You could argue (but I will not) that getting excited by finding on in a real cache is just as futile as it does not add anything to a good walk. None of this is life changing there are greater issues in the world what we can worry about.

Milton (aka Moote)

Edited by Moote

Following the principle of "Don't knock it 'til you've tried it..." I have to say that "handling" Moote's virtual coin was an interesting diversion in this game of Geocaching, but that's about it :( . Thanks to Mr Royle for placing, and alerting me to its presence in our cache. I don't think I'll bother to actively seek out more virtual items as, IMO, it does seem a bit pointless - But I appreciate that other folks enjoy this aspect of the game - So as long as it gives pleasure to some and doesn't cause problems for others* then it's fine by me :( .

Mrs B

* A fair principle to live by? Discuss.

I suppose its like logging every TB at an event by writing the numbers down we can all find profiles with innordinate ammounts of TB's logged compared to caches found.

Precisely - I didn't do this for a while as I thought it was "cheating". Then someone handed me a Yellow Jeep at a party and I tried a bit :(

Virtual coin logging is very slightly more cheating than that, but I'd say it's 7 on the cheating scale compared with 6. Now, what number should I assign to what I did recently, namely, getting a couple of German cachers to send me German coins that they had found, and swapping them by Air Mail with US cachers for American coins ? If I then put the American coins into real European caches for all to find, am I forgiven ?

Somewhere at the back of my mind is a little nagging thought that my GeoWoodstock and EU coin icons are "only virtual", so I will pick one up if I ever find it. But the chances of that are very slim :( . Fortunately, it seems that icon counts are far less important in most people's view of the numbers, than cache finds.

BTW, if anyone has a Moun10bike coin, just point me in the direction of the broken glass I have to crawl over to get to it. :D

I don't think my Birthday bug would actually be classed as a virtual :( I would class a virtual as something you log but have never seen

the calendar is there for all to see, it was just meant to be a bit of a laugh and some community spirit :(

and for all to grab an easy TB :D

there is a diary which will be realeased into the wild after the Northumberland meet tomorrow

this is a game for fun and enjoyment, I reckon some people need to lighten up (just my humble opinion for what it's worth)

Ah well. Like many of the other "I don't see why people do this, it's immoral/illegal/fattening" threads that pop up on this forum from time to time, I will just have to shake my head wearily and go back to enjoying my pastime.

I do admit that logging a virtual coin or TB is not exactly thrilling, but it's legit so why not? If I can help the owner out with their wishes for the item, then that's good enough for me.

Edited by Alibags
"it's immoral/illegal/fattening".

;) Has there been a thread that covers all three?

Have I missed it? B)

Mrs B

yes, go back and read all the threads back to 2002... there will be a test after class. For a bonus point, find the (unrelated to this thread) thread which describes what happened when Dan decided to place a cache at Chequers!!

We also have problems logging them at events so ive seen a white jeep ive never found one in a cache so have'nt logged one yet

Events are caches as well ;)B)

If I can touch it or photograph it then I am logging it ;)

here here!! We plan on getting a whole list of icons at an upcoming event! Still, each to their own. I was tempted by the virtual TBs once, but I'm glad I didn't now.

We also have problems logging them at events so ive seen a white jeep ive never found one in a cache so have'nt logged one yet

Events are caches as well ;)B)

If I can touch it or photograph it then I am logging it ;)

A lot of guys play it your way and that's fine as far as I'm concerned. The first few events I went to in 2003, there weren't so many T/Bs about so you'd perhaps log four or five. More recently, however, almost the main objective of an event is to collect as many T/Bs as possible. I've seen piles of 40 or 50 on a table and people crowding round, furiously writing down all the numbers. Personally, I find that a bit amusing and wander back to the bar, chuckling. If I take a bug away with me, I'll log it but I'll not log any that I don't actually move on myself.