Whining Thread

IceCreamMan

New coins will be $10-$12 because the companies that are making and marketing them (with the blessing of GS) need to cover the cost and make a profit. The shipping and handling charges add a lot to the cost. Labor costs something and every stage you elect to delegate will add to the cost. While GS kept the companies away before they have embraced them because they get the tracking fee up front.A $12 coin is still a bargain when compared to some e bay ones

New coins will be $10-$12 because the companies that are making and marketing them (with the blessing of GS) need to cover the cost and make a profit. The shipping and handling charges add a lot to the cost. Labor costs something and every stage you elect to delegate will add to the cost. While GS kept the companies away before they have embraced them because they get the tracking fee up front.A $12 coin is still a bargain when compared to some e bay ones

Actually if you were lucky you could get some of the coins (trackable even) on ebay for around $12, now they will probably start at $20 openning bid.

But then it is all supply and demand... and there seems to be no end in sight for the demand. At least some people have started to post that they are passing on some of these high priced coins. I noticed that it is taking longer for personal coins to sell out at one of the stores. Maybe 500 is just too many personal coins for the market to absorb at those prices? (especially when its over $10 to get just one)

This thread is about whining about coin related stuff. I'd like to whine about people whining about coin related stuff. ;)

Man, sometimes people just take the fun out of it all.

(edit: removed link to other post with the whining... I should know better. :D)

Edited by robert

This thread is about whining about coin related stuff. I'd like to whine about people whining about coin related stuff. ;)

Man, sometimes people just take the fun out of it all.

(edit: removed link to other post with the whining... I should know better. :D)

sorry...my bad. Thought this was about coin relate wine.

I am whining is because the deleted the thread on a new Geocoinclub and because of this they left my questions unanswered. Why did it get deleted.

All I wanted to know about that club is do I get a coin and a pin as a set, When will the prices go up on the coins, and How do I add subscriptions without doubling S/H.

Also that thread delete keeps on bringing my post count going down. Keeping me from accessing certain thread functions.

OH BTW I have PPal problems too with an order that got cancelled, Hopefully that gets fixed, At least I can still buy stuff but I have $24 unaccounted for.

Edited by sawblade5

It's been awhile since I've had a real good whine here...

I HATE not being able to tell zeroes from ohs on the tracking numbers! Ones and "I"s can stink too!

I have been remiss in activating my coins, and I was trying to get ready for our event this weekend. I was retrieving a bunch of activation codes from one of the sites, and I made too many errors and got locked out!!! Aargh!

I'm not saying it's a problem with the numbers, it's just my vision s#@$s! (I'm getting too old!)

It's been awhile since I've had a real good whine here...

I HATE not being able to tell zeroes from ohs on the tracking numbers! Ones and "I"s can stink too!

I have been remiss in activating my coins, and I was trying to get ready for our event this weekend. I was retrieving a bunch of activation codes from one of the sites, and I made too many errors and got locked out!!! Aargh!

I'm not saying it's a problem with the numbers, it's just my vision s#@$s! (I'm getting too old!)

Yell at the minters - because those numbers can be ENAMEL FILLED at no extra cost!!! Then you can keep your glasses safely stored in the drawer like I do :cute:

Oh no it is not a vision problem I have young 29 yr old eyes and I can not tell some of the characters apart. Those tracking numbers are getting smaller and smaller!

I hate O - 0 & 1 - I & B - 8 & 2 - Z.

I have to agree with you there. My biggest problem was the Tiny, with the number off center, cut off, and hard to read Tracking Number on the Red Selective Availability Off geocoin. I took me 5 shots to get the right tracking number in on this site. How do you expect coins like this to travel without getting lost because they're hard to log?

Edited by sawblade5

I really hate it how when someone voices their true opinion about a coin others will get mad at them for "not being nice". Smiling and saying everything looks great will just lead to a rash of horribly designed coins.

Yeah but the flip side to that is those sellers are going to get stuck with them.

Sadly though I don't think they will get stuck with them, there seems to always be someone to buy them up, no matter what they look like, and thus the problem and growing number of ugly coins.

I really hate it how when someone voices their true opinion about a coin others will get mad at them for "not being nice". Smiling and saying everything looks great will just lead to a rash of horribly designed coins.

Yeah but the flip side to that is those sellers are going to get stuck with them.

Sadly though I don't think they will get stuck with them, there seems to always be someone to buy them up, no matter what they look like, and thus the problem and growing number of ugly coins.

Hey! I resemble that remark. :cute:

It's only a matter of time before someone gets stuck with extras. My bet is on the guy making a series of 20,000 coins being the first. :laughing:

I don't know that I would classify them as ugly. I think poorly designed would be a better choice. If the mintings are small enough, yeah, people will buy them. However, a lame coin won't even sell 500 easily these days. It won't be long... lots of people will get stuck holding the bag. Then they'll learn.

That will be unfortuante. That is why constructive criticism is so important on the coin design and interest threads. If people are getting a lot of negitive feedback or criticism for the design, price or what ever, they should head back to the drawing board. But it is never nice to be just flat out rude and mean.

Sometimes it is not best to follow the rule of "If you can't say something nice don't say anything at all"

It can be helpful so someone is not stuck 'holding the bag' so to say.

Sometimes it is not best to follow the rule of "If you can't say something nice don't say anything at all"

Exactly. People here need to be more forthcoming with what they really think of a coin. And if someone posts about a new coin they want to make and the feedback can be pretty much summed up as "That's a horrible idea, try again" they need to gracefully bow out of producing it. Of course that will never happen. :laughing:

Ok, here's my whine!

People other than original coin sellers are now selling off coins they don't on hand yet. I noticed this happen on a few coins, now there are several. Already one one there for Florida coins that sold out today.

Geez, people can't even wait to sell coins until they get them in hand.

This is exactly the wine I would have posted, thanks.

On Ebay Germany it is not allowed to sell items that the seller doesn't have in hand, how is that in the U.S.?

On Ebay Germany it is not allowed to sell items that the seller doesn't have in hand, how is that in the U.S.?

I have not read these auctions in detail, but in the US you can presell the item ONLY if it will be delivered within 30 days of the auction ending date, and the auction must state that it is a presale. Kinda risky with coins since many have been delayed well beyond when they were expected in the past.

Edited by AtlantaGal

Here is the eBay Pre-Sales Policy

edit to add: The above link also has a place that you can report lisings that are in violation of this policy.

Here is what it says:

Pre-Sale Listings

Pre-sale listings are those that describe items for sale that are not in the control or possession of the seller at the time of the listing. These listings generally consist of items that are sold in advance of a delivery date to the public.

eBay permits Pre-sale listings only on a limited basis. The seller must guarantee that the item will be available for shipping within 30 days from the date of purchase (i.e., the day the listing ends or the date the item is purchased from a store front listing). The seller must also clearly indicate within the listing the fact that the item is a pre-sale item with a delivery date that indicates the item will be shipped by the 30th day from the end date of the listing. Additionally, this text must be no less than the default font size of the eBay Sell-Your-Item form. Currently, the default font size is HTML font size 3.

Violations of this policy may result in a range of actions, including:

* Listing cancellation

* Limits on account privileges

* Account suspension

* Forfeit of eBay fees on cancelled listings

* Loss of PowerSeller status

Edited by ParentsofSAM

Exactly. People here need to be more forthcoming with what they really think of a coin. And if someone posts about a new coin they want to make and the feedback can be pretty much summed up as "That's a horrible idea, try again" they need to gracefully bow out of producing it. Of course that will never happen. :D

I have to agree with Vargseld, there are a bunch of Jack Leg geocoins coming out. Clip art does not make a good geocoin

Exactly. People here need to be more forthcoming with what they really think of a coin. And if someone posts about a new coin they want to make and the feedback can be pretty much summed up as "That's a horrible idea, try again" they need to gracefully bow out of producing it. Of course that will never happen. :D

I have to agree with Vargseld, there are a bunch of Jack Leg geocoins coming out. Clip art does not make a good geocoin

What does Jack's Leg look like? You never know, it might look good on a coin...

Edited by Cornerstone4

AG, is that rule from paypal or ebay? I remember hearing that ebay you have to have the item in stock, but that could just be through the grapevine and it is so hard to find anything on that site anymore.

Well it WAS an eBay policy. I just remember it from the beanie babies and all the people preselling them. The policy could have been shortened since that time.

Edit added: I see from PoSAM's link that it's the same policy I was referring to. It's unchanged since I last was aware of it.

Edited by AtlantaGal
People other than original coin sellers are now selling off coins they don't on hand yet. I noticed this happen on a few coins, now there are several. Already one one there for Florida coins that sold out today.

You are correct that the FGA (Florida Geocaching Association) coin sold out today!

These coins are shipping to us on March 4th - we will have them in hand March 6th and will begin shipping right away!! While the sale did happen before we had the coins 'in-hand" it's not like it's going to be a month or more before folks get the coins!

Is two weeks really a problem....just curious!

You are correct that the FGA (Florida Geocaching Association) coin sold out today!

These coins are shipping to us on March 4th - we will have them in hand March 6th and will begin shipping right away!! While the sale did happen before we had the coins 'in-hand" it's not like it's going to be a month or more before folks get the coins!

My whine is Posts that make no since!

just spit it out !

Look at Florida's new Geocoin on eBay already

someone bought it in the presale today, turned right around and put it up for sale at over 100% profit :D

Plus I need a spell checker and I wanna see more smileys being posted :D

Edited by RustyBeerCan

My whine is Posts that make no since!

Plus I need a spell checker and I wanna see more smileys being posted B)

LOL! Here ya go: Since you asked "My whine are Posts that make no Sense!

And :laughing::laughing:B):):laughing::laughing:

And, to keep it on topic, my whine is mis-spellings, (it's Bronze with a Z) well actually just a little pet peeve since I often can't get through my own post with messing up. But I get over it :) And all my other coin whines have been covered here so carry on. :laughing:

Well it could be... I believe another recent coin (still waiting for it actually) had one of the packages lost in the mail, it was over 1/2 of the coins! By USPS regulation you cant even begin filing any sort of claim for it until after 2weeks have passed from shipment date. So if it did get lost, there goes your 30days.

Not that I'm picking on your sale, or the other sale mentioned here, just pointing out that until it has been delivered to you, you really have no idea when you will get it.

I don't know that I would classify them as ugly. I think poorly designed would be a better choice. If the mintings are small enough, yeah, people will buy them. However, a lame coin won't even sell 500 easily these days. It won't be long... lots of people will get stuck holding the bag. Then they'll learn.

Actually we may be at that point now. Went ahead with tracking numbers and icon for the Buffalo Wings V2 coin, as that semed to be the trend, so I had to commit to 500 coins. But the BW2 isn't setting any records for being requested and I figure I might be just able to sell off the number of coins I needed to, but it is going to be close.

If I do another coin for myself I probally will bypass the tracking. There just dosen't seem to be any value in it.

Actually we may be at that point now. Went ahead with tracking numbers and icon for the Buffalo Wings V2 coin, as that semed to be the trend, so I had to commit to 500 coins. But the BW2 isn't setting any records for being requested and I figure I might be just able to sell off the number of coins I needed to, but it is going to be close.

If I do another coin for myself I probally will bypass the tracking. There just dosen't seem to be any value in it.

It is hard to trade with someone who makes multiple coins. I don't have anything unique to trade each time their new design comes out. I tend not to be a buyer of coins (and rarely if ever a personal coin).

Edited by pdxmarathonman

It is hard to trade with someone who makes multiple coins. I don't have anything unique to trade each time their new design comes out. I tend not to be a buyer of coins (and rarely if ever a personal coin).

I also rarely buy personal coins, I also don't trade for them very often either, usually only if there is some personal connection to something about the coin. ie: beerman's coin since I'm a homebrewer, or workerofwood as I'm a woodworker, etc.

I wish they would go back to primarily being signature items to find in caches, that is what ours will be when we do it.

I also rarely buy personal coins, I also don't trade for them very often either, usually only if there is some personal connection to something about the coin. ie: beerman's coin since I'm a homebrewer, or workerofwood as I'm a woodworker, etc.

I wish they would go back to primarily being signature items to find in caches, that is what ours will be when we do it.

Add me to the list of people who no longer has any interest in purchasing personal coins. Those aren't personal coins, but commercial coins.

I've been especially disappointed with the trend of third parties minting and selling the bulk of some coins. The "owner" of the coin is just one of many buyers of a commercial coin that happens to have their geonick on it. That's about as far from a signature item as you can get.

Edited by Moun10Bike
Add me to the list of people who no longer has any interest in purchasing personal coins. Those aren't personal coins, but commercial coins.

I've been especially disappointed with the trend of third parties minting and selling the bulk of some coins. The "owner" of the coin is just one of many buyers of a commercial coin that happens to have their geonick on it. That's about as far from a signature item as you can get.

I couldn't agree more!!! If you want to make a "personal coin" trade it and ship it yourself.

Also, I hate the new threads that start out as "Not an order thread" or "Just want input on..." or "What do you think about..". It's your signature item so who cares what others think....ITS YOURS so OWN IT!!

PassingWind

I am whining and worrying about a coin that I sent to Rupert2. I had it sent off Tuesday and it is Insured but Rupert2 hasn't reported it received in his Mailbox yet. I don't want something to go wrong with the trade like that.

I had another trade sent out to MA and it arrived within 3 days to him but this one going to IN is taking longer even though IN is closer to me than MA.

I am whining and worrying about a coin that I sent to Rupert2. I had it sent off Tuesday and it is Insured but Rupert2 hasn't reported it received in his Mailbox yet. I don't want something to go wrong with the trade like that.

I had another trade sent out to MA and it arrived within 3 days to him but this one going to IN is taking longer even though IN is closer to me than MA.

If you insured it, then there has to be someone to receive it, right? Personally, I think insurance is a waste of money. It does not gaurantee that the package will be delivered.

If you insured it, then there has to be someone to receive it, right? Personally, I think insurance is a waste of money. It does not gaurantee that the package will be delivered.

There is no gaurantee that any package will be delivered, that is why you buy insurance.

Ok, here is my whine for the day.

(I could really use a thread with a stronger word than "whine", but I'll take what I can get.)

While I don't begrudge anyone for selling coins on ebay, I do have a problem with misrepresentation!

I just saw a bikedog coin that recently sold on ebay. In the auction listing, it stated that this coin was "sold out"!!!

In fact, this coin is not sold out, and we have several left for sale.

This was taking money out of a grieving daughters trust fund as far as I am concerned...