Whining Thread

IceCreamMan

If the names can't be given here on the forum. There is nothing from preventing someone to send out the names or nicknames on a personal e-mail like Hotmail or yahoo........No restrictions there..........If there is a rotten apple in the barrel, you don't leave it in there to rot the other apples, right? The coin trading is a fun part of collecting, we should not let one person ruin it all for the rest. If that person does not want to respond properly, he or she should be excluded. There's no two ways about it..........Just my opinion.

If the names can't be given here on the forum. There is nothing from preventing someone to send out the names or nicknames on a personal e-mail like Hotmail or yahoo........No restrictions there..........If there is a rotten apple in the barrel, you don't leave it in there to rot the other apples, right? The coin trading is a fun part of collecting, we should not let one person ruin it all for the rest. If that person does not want to respond properly, he or she should be excluded. There's no two ways about it..........Just my opinion.

Actually, making up a "Good Geocoin Traders" yahoo group wouldn't be that bad an idea. Bad trader msgs could be posted to the list. Just a thought.

--Marky

{...but I am about to make a s**t list!}

I have one of those, but it's for cache hiders LOL. Seriously, though, you should post their caching names if they don't get back to you. These forums are way to sugar coated and more people need to speak their minds and be blunt.

As far as getting stiffed on a trade I've been lucky, since it hasn't happened to me yet. I'm sure that 99% of the people here are honest, but there's bound to be some questionable ones. I see no reason at all not to out them. It's not an attack, it's a warning to others.

I would want to know if anyone had a problem with my trades. Even if it was in the forums. I have sent out approximately 300 packages and know of none that have turned up missing.

On the other hand I have only one trade missing and that person has already agreed to return my trade. But I told them to give it a little more time in hopes that it turns up.

Now a rating system for traders would be nice.

Team Sand Dollar

This is definitely the exception (to answer the question asked).

I've traded for over 100 coins now and had only 1 problem (well documented so I won't re-hash it).

In this community, I say it's fair game to post if there's a problem, with detail, using the GC names.

I'm sure I know who they are as well, but feel free to email me as well.

The bottom line: 'newbies' should feel confident in trading with 99% of the people here. Don't let the one or two bad apples ruin the fun or make you distrust the community at large.

Also one of these people has had problems here before with other people and I am sure those people know who I am talking about..

ding-ding-ding

I know who that one is. That person owes several people coins right now (if that makes you feel any better). Glad I don't trade with that person.

Hey Damenace... you don't trade with this person either. So you're ok.

E-mail sent

EDIT:

I would like to send out a big thank you to everyone that is currently look out for one another. That is what this community is all about. It is in my opinion that even if the issues get resolved that you should still remain cautious when trading with someone.

May Santa Clause bring all of you a Mystery Christmas Coin next year!!

Edited by Damenace

I am telling everyone here in this thead That I was one of the people she was talking about. I refuse to hide behind a curtain of secrecy.

I am Cav Scout!!!

I am in Iraq and was unaware of any trade between me and LC. I do know she wanted a FREE gold OIFGA geocoin from me for her grandfather (WWII vet) who passed away years ago. The gold OIFGA is free for OIF vets and not for someone who is non combat vet wanting the coin in their collection. I was sent several emails from LC requesting that I give her a gold OIFGA coin. There have been exceptions for the gold OIFGA and given to Viet Nam vets who are still alive.

All of my coin trades go to my home state of Illinois. A relative does all of my mailing. There have been people who have contacted me and said that they never got their coin. I always follow up on the trades and try my best to make good on the trade while I am in Iraq.

I have since emailed the person who started this blog about the two mystery geocoin thiefs and offered to pay for her lose or send back her coins back when I come home in March. She has since declined...

I have no way of knowing what has been sent to me. I am in Iraq fighting a real war. Trading geocoins is a way that lets me think about other things but however answering pestering emails about a free geocoin is last on my list of things to do in Iraq.

I still want to do trades for all of your wonderful geocoins (metal only). I ask that anyone who trades with me to please do not send me your coin until you get mine. If there is ever a problem I will contact who ever I am trading with and not bring it here.

If I don't have anymore trades I will most certainly understand and not get mad at anyone for not wanting to do a trade with me.

Who ever the other bad person is I feel for you and am sad that it had to come down to this.

People please remember I am in Iraq. Things are a lot different here and not like back home. I can't answer all of your emails.

Its seems when ever I don't want to trade with someone I get nasty emails. I am recently accused of not really being in Iraq,lol.

I set up a trade with two different people.  I sent my coins to them and have not recieved the coin they promised. 

Just wondering how often this happens to you frequent coin traders. Is this a rare occurrance in the GC community, or does it happen more often than you would like. Mailing coins to others in trade and not receiving my trade coins would definately cause some angst!!!!!

This has not happened to me thus far (fingers crossed), after numerous trades.

:)

In a couple cases, I (or my trade partner) are still waiting on our coins after a month or two, but that's because the coins we traded for haven't actually arrived from the shipper yet. For example, I've already received a couple coins in trade but have been unable to send mine in return - because the blasted Alabama/Nevada/Wyoming coins haven't shown up yet. ;) However, I keep my trade recipients updated via email so they don't feel I've forgotten them or reneged on my trade.

In a couple cases, I (or my trade partner) are still waiting on our coins after a month or two, but that's because the coins we traded for haven't actually arrived from the shipper yet.

In case you missed it, Bad Andy posted an update on the Idaho 2006 in the trading thread... http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...108970&st=3400#

So my trade to you will be along sooner rather than later ;)

Edited by AtlantaGal
LadyCacher, please feel free to add me to that bulk e-mail you plan on sending out with the persons name, thank you for looking out for the rest of us coin addicts. I care not to trade with a person that does not come through with there end.

Please add me as well.

And me!

Such a list issued by one person only is a very one sided thing and does not necessarily reflect the thoughts of the whole community...

Just my opinion ... Better way to go would be a kind of rating system?!

I've never had problems on trading with those who I traded with...

Once, I messed things up myself ;) but tried to correct as quick as possible and found some workaround so both parties where pleased.

That's exactly why I've only been buying one coin and no more traders lately. Its also why I'm giving some serious consideration of using that 4 lettered E place to unload the rest of my traders.

I continue to have faith in the geocaching community, and trading coins has enabled me to create several new 'virtual' friendships with fellow geocachers - that's worth far more than the cost of the coins/mailing.

Don't let one or two bad apples (yes, we all know one of them) spoil it for you. I will continue to buy traders (altho fewer than in the past, I've still got Marylands and Washingtons to unload ;) ).

Both people have contacted me, one has agreed to fix the problem. The other I just sent a reply and I am waiting to hear back.

I explained to both of them that this was the only way I could get their attention seeing they did not answer my emails and things.

Thank you for letting us know. I had a feeling it was just a matter of the holidays taking a lot of people's personal time (although I can't see a coin addict staying out of these forums for more than a few minutes but....) and all can be worked out. I do still believe posting names, even gc.com nicks, might have been against forum guidelines, and I would have checked on it. I'm positive it would only be bad for our forums to start a practice like this. CavScout has come forward as one of them and c'mon people, he's in Iraq for crying out loud! Cut him some slack. You want to trade places with him? I'm sure there is plenty of fun stuff taking his time there. If someone has a problem with negotiations and trades gc.com is not responsible and I do not believe the forums is the place to handle such situations.

From the Geocoin Guidelines (which are always subject to change as things grow and progress):

To ensure that this forum is a success, please respect our ground rules when it comes to selling and trading of coins:

This forum may be used for personal selling, trading or giving away of items. Geocaching organizations are permitted to use this forum for purposes of selling, trading or giving away of geocoins.

No company or business postings/advertising is allowed. Charity Solicitations are also not acceptable. Groundspeak reserves the right to determine if an item for sale is inappropriate for this board.

Those choosing to participate in an exchange on this board take full responsibility for any consequences of that exchange. Groundspeak is in no way involved in the sale or trading of items on this board and will not be held responsible or liable in any way for quality issues, fraud or any default of transfer on the part of the buyer or seller.

Individual negotiations or information exchanges should take place through private e-mail or telephone correspondence, not on this board. Please use the communication tools provided on the site or private email.

If you have a problem, please handle it privately using the communications tools provided to you. A link to this thread will be sent to Groundspeak for their views on the matter.

In a couple cases, I (or my trade partner) are still waiting on our coins after a month or two, but that's because the coins we traded for haven't actually arrived from the shipper yet.

In case you missed it, Bad Andy posted an update on the Idaho 2006 in the trading thread... http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...108970&st=3400#

So my trade to you will be along sooner rather than later ;)

Thanks for the update, AG! I wasn't even thinking about coins owed me, I was feeling angst about the trades where I'm the one who owes coins out and can't deliver (those three states I already mentioned).

Looking forward to the Idaho 06 - thanks for the trade!

...Please use the communication tools provided on the site or private email.

If you have a problem, please handle it privately using the communications tools provided to you. A link to this thread will be sent to Groundspeak for their views on the matter.

I agree with this - until it doesn't work. Once you've emailed through the site, PM'd and used thier personal email without a response there is no course of action left but to warn others.

Does this open the door for all complaints? No. Does it provide the community with feedback on people that continue to cause problems? Yes.

I see nothing wrong with brining a legitimate problem here so that others don't run into it. We did it with coin manufacturers (i.e. warnings about working with KV Coins, etc.) so why should traders be any different?

I continue to want to know who the problem people are.

And when the same person shows up 4 or 5 times I think it's clearly not an exception, but the way that they handle themselves and not a function of the holidays or any other situation.

Ok, here is my whine.

I bought two coins off someone. This was over three months ago. They happen to live in the state where the coins came out. They cashed the check. I waited two or three weeks and nothing. I send another email, will you be sending the coins. Yes, soon. I send another email a week later: did you mail the coins? Oh, I thought I did. No, I never received them. The person indicated they would check and get back to me. Wait, wait, wait. Nothing. I sent another email and the person says they mailed them. Ok, must be lost in the mail. (Has happened). I sent them an email to say I only needed the silver and will forego the money but the silver is for a trade in the future. They send me another email that they found "replacements" for me and would send them to me. After ten more emails and no reply what should I do? There are numerous people on this thread that know this person and a friend of mine thinks I should out the individual. I have not done that but what is a recourse?

P.S. The person is not a regular poster or trader to the geocoin forums.

Ok, here is my whine.

I bought two coins off someone. This was over three months ago. They happen to live in the state where the coins came out. They cashed the check. I waited two or three weeks and nothing. I send another email, will you be sending the coins. Yes, soon. I send another email a week later: did you mail the coins? Oh, I thought I did. No, I never received them. The person indicated they would check and get back to me. Wait, wait, wait. Nothing. I sent another email and the person says they mailed them. Ok, must be lost in the mail. (Has happened). I sent them an email to say I only needed the silver and will forego the money but the silver is for a trade in the future. They send me another email that they found "replacements" for me and would send them to me. After ten more emails and no reply what should I do? There are numerous people on this thread that know this person and a friend of mine thinks I should out the individual. I have not done that but what is a recourse?

P.S. The person is not a regular poster or trader to the geocoin forums.

Try sending them the link to this thread, and tell them that you are going to ask for public help if you can't get this resolved.

It worked for LC.

Both people have contacted me, one has agreed to fix the problem.  The other I just sent a reply and I am waiting to hear back.

I explained to both of them that this was the only way I could get their attention seeing they did not answer my emails and things.

Thank you for letting us know. I had a feeling it was just a matter of the holidays taking a lot of people's personal time (although I can't see a coin addict staying out of these forums for more than a few minutes but....) and all can be worked out. I do still believe posting names, even gc.com nicks, might have been against forum guidelines, and I would have checked on it. I'm positive it would only be bad for our forums to start a practice like this. CavScout has come forward as one of them and c'mon people, he's in Iraq for crying out loud! Cut him some slack. You want to trade places with him? I'm sure there is plenty of fun stuff taking his time there. If someone has a problem with negotiations and trades gc.com is not responsible and I do not believe the forums is the place to handle such situations.

From the Geocoin Guidelines (which are always subject to change as things grow and progress):

To ensure that this forum is a success, please respect our ground rules when it comes to selling and trading of coins:

This forum may be used for personal selling, trading or giving away of items. Geocaching organizations are permitted to use this forum for purposes of selling, trading or giving away of geocoins.

No company or business postings/advertising is allowed. Charity Solicitations are also not acceptable. Groundspeak reserves the right to determine if an item for sale is inappropriate for this board.

Those choosing to participate in an exchange on this board take full responsibility for any consequences of that exchange. Groundspeak is in no way involved in the sale or trading of items on this board and will not be held responsible or liable in any way for quality issues, fraud or any default of transfer on the part of the buyer or seller.

Individual negotiations or information exchanges should take place through private e-mail or telephone correspondence, not on this board. Please use the communication tools provided on the site or private email.

I had been emailing him for months number one AND he claims he had no time to answer my emails BUT he continues to answer emails for new trades.

This was not a matter of he is in Iraq nor the Holidays. I was being ignored bottom line and I had had enough.

I declined for you paying me because I told you in my email it was no big deal I just wanted to know why.

I never said you stole anything thanks for wrongly making that statement.

Comments about the Gold is incorrect and that IS NOT THE COIN I AM TALKING ABOUT AND YOU KNOW IT! It was the Raven coin.

How dare you! You are a evil person and I believe you start this s**t on purpose to fuel somebody and get them upset.

Just so you know my Grandfather fought in the Korea War and died of cancer, but you would know that since I emailed you as much as you said I did huh? I emailed one time...but thanks for your dramatic description!

As far as you getting nasty emails from when you turn down a trade, you didn't turn me down for that trade.

One more thing, STOP sending me emails filled with bulls**t.

"I hope and pray for a safe and pleasant year for you and your family. I will continue to fight for the ignorance of people back home. Geocoins are on the bottom of my list of things to worry about.

Remember those of us who are separated from our loved ones and fighting to keep you and your family safe."

I will no longer read your posts, answer your emails, or post about anything that has to do with you and I hope your man enough to do the same with me. I wish I would have know all of this now so I would have not sent all that stuff to you that makes you look like a hero to all those childeren in Iraq.

For the people who have emailed me about this matter with him, thank you. I appericate the support that you are giving and I wish I would have listened sooner to the warnings from several people.

I am hoping this does not become a common practice! This can't be good. And when I find out from Groundspeak how Groundspeak feels about it I will then decide whether this thread, or one opened for this practice, even stays open. It sounds like you are trying to start small wars in here, and it rubs me the wrong way.

I am hoping this does not become a common practice!  This can't be good.  And when I find out from Groundspeak how Groundspeak feels about it I will then decide whether this thread, or one opened for this practice, even stays open.  It sounds like you are trying to start small wars in here, and it rubs me the wrong way.

I am not starting a war and that's not what this was ment to be, sorry. I have never had a problem with anybody or anything.

Edited by Ladycacher & Boys
I will no longer read your posts, answer your emails, or post about anything that has to do with you and I hope your man enough to do the same with me. I wish I would have know all of this now so I would have not sent all that stuff to you that makes you look like a hero to all those childeren in Iraq.

Before you start taking cheap shots about my service in Iraq I think you may want to walk in my shoes for a day... You are not the only person who sent things for the Iraqi children and I pray that they do not feel like they made a mistake by sending me school supplies and candy for the kids. I am thankful for what you and everyone else sent as gifts to the kids in Iraq.

Before you start taking cheap shots about my service in Iraq I think you may want to walk in my shoes for a day... You are not the only person who sent things for the Iraqi children and I pray that they do not feel like they made a mistake by sending me school supplies and candy for the kids. I am thankful for what you and everyone else sent as gifts to the kids in Iraq.

Thank you for saying your thankful I appericate that. I was glad to do that honeslty.

I am hoping this does not become a common practice!  This can't be good.  And when I find out from Groundspeak how Groundspeak feels about it I will then decide whether this thread, or one opened for this practice, even stays open.  It sounds like you are trying to start small wars in here, and it rubs me the wrong way.

Never mind.

Edited by Damenace
It sounds like you are trying to start small wars in here, and it rubs me the wrong way.

To be fair, it wasn't her that started the 'war' with her comments. She described a situation that at least 3 others have had with the same person and tried her best to resolve it offline.

If we all bought coins from a company that never shipped them wouldn't it be good information to share with others? Why does a person get more protection?

Eartha, you know I respect you and I'm not trying to stir the pot. But I do think it needs to be acceptable to post extreme things like this. Will it grow into something else where peopel post about others not wanting to trade with them (i.e. I offered Atlanta Gal a so-and-so coin for her so-and-so coin and she said "no") - no, it won't

It hasn't happened yet. The only cases posted here (or elsewhere) have been EXTREME cases where other methods of resolution did not help.

Now, if two people (any two) continue in here to go back and forth with each other, yes warn them or temp ban them as needed. I've gotten sucked into this before and probably should have been banned/warned as well as the other person.

Both have stated thier case and the community can decide how to act on it.

I know this isn't eBay, but at least there you can post feedback/ratings for people. I'm not suggesting that GC needs this as coin trading is not your business - but simply to allow the extreme cases to be posted here.

It sounds like you are trying to start small wars in here, and it rubs me the wrong way.

To be fair, it wasn't her that started the 'war' with her comments. She described a situation that at least 3 others have had with the same person and tried her best to resolve it offline.

If we all bought coins from a company that never shipped them wouldn't it be good information to share with others? Why does a person get more protection?

Eartha, you know I respect you and I'm not trying to stir the pot. But I do think it needs to be acceptable to post extreme things like this. Will it grow into something else where peopel post about others not wanting to trade with them (i.e. I offered Atlanta Gal a so-and-so coin for her so-and-so coin and she said "no") - no, it won't

It hasn't happened yet. The only cases posted here (or elsewhere) have been EXTREME cases where other methods of resolution did not help.

Now, if two people (any two) continue in here to go back and forth with each other, yes warn them or temp ban them as needed. I've gotten sucked into this before and probably should have been banned/warned as well as the other person.

I know this isn't eBay, but at least there you can post feedback/ratings for people. I'm not suggesting that GC needs this as coin trading is not your business - but simply to allow the extreme cases to be posted here.

Well stated, that is why I said never mind. I was afraid that my point wouldn't have made clear enough. And I said never mind to avoid having my hand slapped.

Such a list issued by one person only is a very one sided thing and does not necessarily reflect the thoughts of the whole community...

Just my opinion ... Better way to go would be a kind of rating system?!

OK BREAK and ARMISTICE...! ;)

All the Geocoiner that use CoinTracking.com have a rating system!!!

Sadly nobody (only a hand full) use this "Rate Your Trade" system...... :)

Edited by HerrK & Lassie
OK BREAK and ARMISTICE...! 

All the Geocoiner that use CoinTracking.com have a rating system!!!

Sadly nobody (only a hand full) use this "Rate Your Trade" system...... 

I stand corrected ... I'll switch over to cointracking right now to check on that feature ...

Ok, I have had enough! 

I set up a trade with two different people.  I sent my coins to them and have not recieved the coin they promised.

Ok,

I researched this. I gave LC one of my Ver 1 geocoins for her personal geocoin before hers was even made. LC contacted me after I did this same type of trade with her Uncle. Just to make sure I did this, I just checked LC's geocoin list and saw that she has my geocoin listed as recieved. I bought and paid for her two sons personal geocoins. I still have the reciept from my paypal. The only thing LC did not get from me was two FREE geocoins, the OIFGA gold and a Cav Scout Raven...

Is this why I was listed and not coming thru with a trade because you did not get two free geocoins? All trades were complete.

PLEASE EXPLAIN

Edited by Cav Scout

To be fair to Cav Scout, I have made trades with him and he has always answered his emails. I even got his V.1 Raven in the mail before sending my part of the trade off.

I have asked if he wanted to trade some of the other coins he has. I didnt have what he was looking for so we didnt trade. This has happened with others as well. Sometimes you just dont have what you need for the trade at the time.

After doing lots of trades, its easy to forget to send something out or make a mistake. I have sent the wrong coins a couple of times ;).

nielsenc

Eartha

Posted: Jan 4 2006, 11:03 AM

I'm positive it would only be bad for our forums to start a practice like this. CavScout has come forward as one of them and c'mon people, he's in Iraq for crying out loud! Cut him some slack. You want to trade places with him? I'm sure there is plenty of fun stuff taking his time there. If someone has a problem with negotiations and trades gc.com is not responsible and I do not believe the forums is the place to handle such situations.

This seems more a case of not responding to reasonable requests and I don't think anyone is holding anyone other than the guilty parties responsible.Trading is a simple process.I send you mine you send me yours done deal.Those who don't get it or ignore the process should be outed. I for one am glad to have seen this thread and hope to learn the identity of other scoflaws.

Just wondering how often this happens to you frequent coin traders. Is this a rare occurrance in the GC community, or does it happen more often than you would like. Mailing coins to others in trade and not receiving my trade coins would definately cause some angst!!!!!

I have only had one case in two years of sig item trading where a person didn't send what was promised, and would not after repeated emails (and several months waiting). Most people get the coins to me within a few days, and I would not complain to wait a week or two (we all have other things to do rather than run down to the PO 5 times a week).

I have only had one case in two years of sig item trading where a person didn't send what was promised, and would not after repeated emails (and several months waiting). Most people get the coins to me within a few days, and I would not complain to wait a week or two (we all have other things to do rather than run down to the PO 5 times a week).

So far so good. I've only done a handfull of trades though. Some send with tracking numbers and some via the cheapest means possible. Overall I've heard tell of more issues with the post office than actual traders. Tracking seems to help the post office not ship so many empty envelopes.

Well said, Sir.

OK I amit I am addicted to coins.

My whine is that when a new personal coin becomes available I can't get a comfirmation for a trade. I don't want to buy the coin if I can trade but on the other hand I don't want to miss out on it. I've already had to turn down trades because I went ahead and bought the coin and then the owner wanted to trade.

Why can't we get the owners to commit?

Why can't they admit they don't want to trade so I will know to go ahead and buy.

It really dosen't matter if they don't want to trade, I would just like to know.

Team Sand Dollar

wow, 3 months and only 5 pages of whining? and in less than 2 weeks we have almost 8 pages on the new guidelines thread.

come on folks... i have alot of cheese here that needs whine :lol:

just to help along... why are coin going for $8-$10 + shipping these days?

I know what it costs to make coins from various places... and it is extremely difficult to get it to cost more than $5/coin when you make 500 or more!

and what is it with stores doing pre-sales and not getting the coin in so they can just ship them right away? And allow you to get different coins at the same time? I know those stores have made enough money to be able to front the costs of the coins.