Boat/shipwrecks

I would like to propose a subcategory for the already established "Disaster Sites" a subcategory for Ship and Boat wrecks - these could either be dive sites or wrecks accessible by land and would need clarification as to whether or not they are oen to public etc etc.

What do you think?

I'm going to promote this category but it needs to be fleshed out more.

Here are the variables for plane crashes:

Web Address for Related Web Sites

Date of Crash

Aircraft Model

Military or Civilian

Tail Number

Cause of Crash

I would suggest doing similar variables for shipwrecks. Let's see if we can pick a few important elements to a shipwreck that people should know.

SHIPWRECKS:

1.......Type>Steam/Sail/

2........Prop/paddlewheel/

3.......Wooden/steel hull

4.......Marine disaster: Storm/war

5......What was the cargo

6......number of people lost

7......where is the wreck now museum/in original location

10.......where was it headed when lost

11......inland lakes or ocean

12 and lots more............

We have the 'Fathoms 5 Marine Park' dedicated to divers, to access the wrecks in Lake Huron/Georgian Bay..

All sounds pretty good to me. I would beg to say though that as much as I like some of Jakes suggestions it wouldn't need to be to complicated in it's variables as some boat wrecks are just that - simple boat wrecks and getting a history or such detail could be near to impossible. Others of course do have a very significant and rich history and it would be kinda up to the person submitting the wreck waymark to detail it as much as possible regarding it's history, mortalities, size of boat, access etc etc.

Many thanks for considering this one Jeremy! :D

All sounds pretty good to me. I would beg to say though that as much as I like some of Jakes suggestions it wouldn't need to be to complicated in it's variables as some boat wrecks are just that - simple boat wrecks and getting a history or such detail could be near to impossible. Others of course do have a very significant and rich history and it would be kinda up to the person submitting the wreck waymark to detail it as much as possible regarding it's history, mortalities, size of boat, access etc etc.

Many thanks for considering this one Jeremy! :ninja:

G'day

What about an optional list of information to provide, maybe along the lines of Jake's list? Hopefully will encourage a good attempt at providing as much information as possible.

All that said, I am for this category and could add a couple of waymarks including one which comes and goes .... it eventually disappears before returning up to 10 years latter. Goes on a ghost voyage :-)

Regards

Andrew

If this category gets approved, I would love to have facts about SCUBA diving these wrecks included. Perhaps a subcategory for SCUBA accessible wrecks. Important information (besides the location) would be:

* Depth (Ocean floor and top of wreck)

* Ave. water temperature

* Current (Strong, Mild, None)

* Places to anchor (eg. anchor to white buoy which is tied to wreck tower)

* In-tact vs. all over the ocean floor

* Any perceived dangers

* Cool things you can see (eg. large fish, lobster, captains bunk room)

* Historical facts (always make the dives better) :o

I'd suggest moving dive sites to its own location. You could add an additional variable for what types of items can be found at that location (like wrecks, or coral). This seems to be more for a historical perspective and many of your variables would be lost on the general user.

It's ok to mark the same location as two separate waymarks in different categories, especially when the variables are so different. I'd suggest posting a new category suggestion for Scuba dive sites.