Success Or Failure Rate

DNStephens

For awhile now I have been wondering what my DNF rate was, so I checked today. I have 702 finds, and 38 DNF's for a total of 740 attempts.

38 ÷ 740 x 100 = a failure rate, or a DNF rate of 5.1%.

But this also means that I have a 94.9% success rate, which I think is very good. WooHoo!

How are you doing?

Edited by DNStephens

I have 186 finds and 18 DNFs. I subsequently found 5 of those DNFs on a second attempt, to my total hunt number is 191.

That gives me a raw DNF rate of 9.4%. My adjusted DNF rate is 8.5% (16 DNF / 189 attempts). I took away two DNFs and two searches to account for the two caches that really were not there.

I would also like to note that 7 of the DNFs were on caches with a difficulty rating of less than 2, 10 were 2-2.5 and only one was a 3. And most of those low-difficulty caches were easily found by everybody who came before and after me!

I keep track of all my DNFs on my web site. I am at 90 DNFs (which includes a very high 18 during our 3 week trip to Florida...several were missing) currently after just about 3 years. So compare that to 2099 finds and the DNF rate comes to: 4.29% ( 90 ÷ 2099 x 100 )

Most days I have gone without a DNF was 91 days from September 23, 2003 to November 21, 2003 and then most recently 62 without a DNF which ended this past Saturday.

I only had 2 DNFs on one cache and found it on the 3rd try. Cache was off by about 100 meters.

Lessee here <pulls up GSAK>... filter "DNF" with my handle....

26 DNF vs 544 found = 4.78% ratio.

I've gone back and found 17 of those DNF's at a later date, for various reasons.

Nice to see that I'm in the 'average' geocachers spot for this category.

It would be interesting to see what the ratios are like for different times of the year too. A lot of us keep caching thru the winter time and that can add a whole new element to the game..... although this year I'm looking for some form of portable snow melting method. :(

I have 323 finds and 37 DNF logs. Some of these logs are for the same caches. I had 6 of these 37 DNFs on what I call "The Day of Infamy". :(

Of the 37 DNF logs there are 31 distinct caches. I have since gone back and found all but 5 of these caches. (Obsessed?) One of the caches that I have never found has been archived and will forever be a blot on my record.

So 323 + 37 = 360 searches, and 37/360 = 10.3% failure rate.

Some of my DNFs (5 that I know of) were because the cache wasn't there (or otherwise unavailable) when I searched.

All this doesn't take into account multi's which have multiple finds and yet only allow one smiley... :(

939 Finds. 8 current DNFs. (I don't keep track of previous DNFs that I've gone back and found).

8/947*100=.84%

Anyone know how to find your DNFs that you've gone back and found without going through ALL your logs? GSAK removes the DNF checkmark when you change the status of a cache to found.

Edited by ElectroQTed
Anyone know how to find your DNFs that you've gone back and found without going through ALL your logs? GSAK removes the DNF checkmark when you change the status of a cache to found.

GSAK does allow you to do this ElectroQted,

Start with a blank filter, then set up one as follows:

---

Filter ...

Logs ...

Clear Log Type [Found] [Needs Archiving Note][All other notes]

check [and log is by a certain person], exact match "ElectroQTed"

"GO"

---

That'll give you all the logs that you DNF'd, whether you found them later or not.

- NP

Anyone know how to find your DNFs that you've gone back and found without going through ALL your logs?  GSAK removes the DNF checkmark when you change the status of a cache to found.

GSAK does allow you to do this ElectroQted,

Start with a blank filter, then set up one as follows:

---

Filter ...

Logs ...

Clear Log Type [Found] [Needs Archiving Note][All other notes]

check [and log is by a certain person], exact match "ElectroQTed"

"GO"

---

That'll give you all the logs that you DNF'd, whether you found them later or not.

- NP

Or a quicker and perhaps easier method:

cap22.png

I have a question when figuring out DNF's... I have 56 DNF's (a couple I've visted a few times and they've been gone every time!)

23 I have gone back and found.

19 were not there and have been archived.

14 are still there taunting me and waiting.

Do you subtract the founds from the list since they're now found? I'll assume the answer is no.

56 DNF + 2257 found = 2313

56 / 2313 x 100 = 2.4%

Is that correct? Not too shabby! Now to go back and find some of the ones that are still there (although a few are in the US - Florida and Maryland - that I probably won't get back to).

Sorry guys, I am a bit slow off the mark but better late than never :huh:

If you are using GSAK the following macro will give you this %

#
# Macro to show your DNF count as a % of your found count
#
mfilter if=$d_dnfdate > $_Today - 5000
$DnfCount = $_FilterCount
mfilter if=$d_found
$FoundCount = $_FilterCount
CancelFilter
If $FoundCount > 0
 $pcnt = ($DnfCount/$FoundCount) * 100
 $pcnta = left("$pcnt",4)
 pause msg="DNF as a percentage of found: $pcnta%"
EndIf  

You can download this macro as a text file here http://gsak.net/Macros.php

Macro=>Run to execute it

Well to make a long story short, I can not actually count the number of DNF's that I have had. I have found 43 to date with 10 DNF that are listed. When I first started out 2001, I did not have an accurate GPS and not too good at using it. lol Every DNF that I have had in the last yearhave been archived so I have not had a chance to go back and get them lol

parker2

Currently sitting at 15.4% with 99 DNF caches (have not looked at repeat DNF visit caches). 36 caches we have to return for another look, 27 Never to find due to be archived now and 36 that were DNF but found on a return visit. Went caching today, found 5 and DNF 2 so we had a good day I think :rolleyes: , considering 1 was confirmed missing and disabled a day after out PQ, the other was in a busy area and we gave up after some discrete searching. We might give up a little to quick sometime, but we enjoy ourselves and the 641 caches we have searched for :blink: