What To Do? Caches Showing As New

Thrak

How does one handle it when caches that were previously archived are reactivated by the owner as new caches? The owner archived them and now, after reestablishing the same caches, they show up in my queries as caches I haven't found and all of the previous logs are gone.

I'd prefer not to have these show up as unfound caches but it doesn't seem right to go "find" them again and log them in order to make them go away. Any advice? Surely this must have happened before. How does one fix the issue?

How does one handle it when caches that were previously archived are reactivated by the owner as new caches? The owner archived them and now, after reestablishing the same caches, they show up in my queries as caches I haven't found and all of the previous logs are gone.

I'd prefer not to have these show up as unfound caches but it doesn't seem right to go "find" them again and log them in order to make them go away. Any advice? Surely this must have happened before. How does one fix the issue?

Cache pages should never be recycled, and logs should not be deleted for that purpose.

When your logs were deleted, did you receive e-mail notices for each and every one of them? Those notices contain a permalink to your log entry page. Follow the link, and you have the option of restoring your deleted log.

Yes. They are "new" caches in the same places but in actuality they are the same cache. I don't think they were ever physically removed. No logs were deleted - the caches were archived. The "new"caches have logs from new finders but are really the same cache.

Thanks for clarifying that these are different cache pages.

If it's the same cache container in the same hiding place and the same cache type (i.e., traditional) as the prior cache, then I don't understand why the previous versions couldn't have been unarchived. The answer could vary -- for example, if the old cache was a tupperware in a tree stump and the new cache was an ammo box suspended 20 feet above that spot, or if the old cache was a single stage and the same container is now the final location of a multicache.

...When your logs were deleted, did you receive e-mail notices for each and every one of them?  Those notices contain a permalink to your log entry page.  Follow the link, and you have the option of restoring your deleted log.

;) Ya learn something every day! ;)

(I don't think I've ever had a log deleted.) :P

As I understand it a cache owner cannot archive and the re activate. The activation has to be done an approver and the cache number would be the same. If it shows up as a new cache it should have a new cache number and that would make it a new cache.

A cache owner can disable a cache and then enabale it later but that would not be a new cache. If you are set up for the instant notify feature you will get a notice that the cache has been enabled, but this does not make it a new cache.

Those could be caches that you reserve for days that you take your kids, grandkid, friends, family etc. to introduce them to the sport. You can sit back and let them run the GPS and when the caches are found sign the log and post a found log on the new cache pages.

They are technically new caches and you can log them again, even though the owner has the placed date the same as the original hides. It is an odd thing for the owner to do. Have you contacted the owner and asked what he expects previous finders to do?

You have been given many options, so most importantly do what you feel it the right thing in this situation. As long as you are happy with the decision it is the right thing for you.

Happy Caching

GEO.JOE

A person can not unarchive a cache, he may request a review to do such but an individual can not do this. So some one places a cache back where he/she had a cache prior well it is a NEW cache it is that plain and simple so if you don't want to go back to the area then ingnore it else go get another smile face.

cheers

Amazingly enough, the same thing happened to me a couple years ago. Apparently, the owner had temporarily disable the cache, but instead of re-enabling it, he created a whole new cache page. This put the SAME location back on my closest list and drove me nuts! It didn't help that this cache was one of the toughest hikes in our area.

I also posted my question in the forums and got some helpful advice. I've actually gone back twice now (taking other people out on the hike) and had a lot of fun with it.

As for common sense...this is a forum...I wanted other people's thoughts just as I'm sure the OP here wanted. Isn't that what we do here?

Bret

Thank you for all the helpful replies. Sorry I seem to have annoyed someone with my question - I just figured this had to have happened in the past and I would get insight from others as to the proper procedure.

I have a friend who thought Geocaching sounded pretty fun so perhaps I'll accompany him on these and let him do the find.

I am only marginally impacted by these reappearing caches since I've only done a few of this person's hides. However, I was also concerned for others in my area since the person who placed these caches archived somewhere in the neighborhood fo 46 caches all at once and many folks here have done all of those caches. Should all 46 suddenly reappear as new caches it could be a much bigger deal for some folks than it is for me. I also like to keep my numbers honest - I'd never log a cache I didn't find and logging the same one twice bothers me. I can see it doesn't really matter in the larger scheme of things but.......

I'll be going to an event cache on the 5th and the hiders of these caches should be there. I'll speak with them in person at that time since I find it easier to avoid misinterpretation of face to face communication as opposed to email.

Thanks again for all the helpful advice. I'm closing the thread now since it has served its purpose.