Baseball Cards Vs. Geocoins

SunshineGang

I am a little confused about the amount of anxiety about people selling geocoins on ebay.

So I ask what is the difference between collecting baseball cards and geocoins?

If you have a babe Ruth baseball card is it not worth lots of money? Do other baseball card collectors get mad if you sell your card on ebay?

Same question for comic books, beanie babies (remember those?), coins, etc...

one cool part about geocoins is we can make and design our own. Or at least pay someone else to. we are not dependent on some big central authority deciding what coins to mint and how many etc... Each of us has the freedom to create our own. Which allows for all the very unique colors, shapes, and QTYs, etc....

Yes people are making money.... look at these guys WWW.GEOCOINCLUB.COM. they are making money and should anyone have anything to say about it. They have have invested a ton of time, money and effort into what they are doing. And honestly look at the coins they have produced. They are some of the best/most unique I have seen.

I suspect this is thread may just be kicking the dead horse. BUt I am sincerely trying to understand

I am a little confused about the amount of anxiety about people selling geocoins on ebay.

If you have a babe Ruth baseball card is it not worth lots of money? Do other baseball card collectors get mad if you sell your card on ebay?

one cool part about geocoins is we can make and design our own. Or at least pay someone else to. we are not dependent on some big central authority deciding what coins to mint and how many etc... Each of us has the freedom to create our own. Which allows for all the very unique colors, shapes, and QTYs, etc....

Yes people are making money.... look at these guys WWW.GEOCOINCLUB.COM. they are making money and should anyone have anything to say about it. They have have invested a ton of time, money and effort into what they are doing. And honestly look at the coins they have produced. They are some of the best/most unique I have seen.

I suspect this is thread may just be kicking the dead horse. BUt I am sincerely trying to understand

If you find one of my coins in a package of bubble gum sandwiched between an AtlantaGal and a Moun10Bike coin, feel free to sell it on ebay. But if you trade for it with me I'd appreciate not selling it.

No one but me has ever paid money for one of my coins. Let's keep it that way.

If you find one of my coins in a package of bubble gum sandwiched between an AtlantaGal and a Moun10Bike coin, feel free to sell it on ebay.  But if you trade for it with me I'd appreciate not selling it.

No one but me has ever paid money for one of my coins.  Let's keep it that way.

I have to agree with pdxmarathonman. If I sell you my personal coins, then you can do whatever you want with them. However, if I trade with you, then I have given it to you specifically and nobody else. It's like if somebody gives you a birthday present. Do you turn around and sell it on eBay? No. Well, it's the same here. I'm gifting you my personal coin and I'm the only one who has paid for them. If it gets sold, then you have said in effect that you don't like my gift. And, if that's the case, then please return it to me so I can gift it to somebody else who will appreciate the time and effort that I placed in creating my coin.

What about you trying to make money by listing your affiliate ID on every geocoin club link you post?  :rolleyes:

Actually I think you get points to redeem for something

"Be An Affiliate

All subscribers to the Geocoin Club are automatically eligible to participate in our affiliate program. By providing your friends with a link to our web site that includes your unique subscriber ID, you get points when they sign up for a subscription. You can use the points toward rewards such as free memberships, gift certificates, and more. (Reward catalog in progress)"

on coins on ebay:

I think part of the confusion is that not everyone uses/sees coins the same way (nothing new).

Some are placed in caches, some are kept in collections, some are trading stock, some are outright sold. Some coins seem to be made with certain goals in mind, others with different goals or no goals (people selling them vs people that only trade or place them in caches vs people people that do anything with).

And since there are not 'rules' about this, all of those things happen.

edit: clearify

Edited by welch
If you find one of my coins in a package of bubble gum sandwiched between an AtlantaGal and a Moun10Bike coin, feel free to sell it on ebay.  But if you trade for it with me I'd appreciate not selling it.

No one but me has ever paid money for one of my coins.  Let's keep it that way.

I have to agree with pdxmarathonman. If I sell you my personal coins, then you can do whatever you want with them. However, if I trade with you, then I have given it to you specifically and nobody else. It's like if somebody gives you a birthday present. Do you turn around and sell it on eBay? No. Well, it's the same here. I'm gifting you my personal coin and I'm the only one who has paid for them. If it gets sold, then you have said in effect that you don't like my gift. And, if that's the case, then please return it to me so I can gift it to somebody else who will appreciate the time and effort that I placed in creating my coin.

I don't think I have a strong opinion on this, but I do disagree with this comment.

You didn't give your coin as a gift - if you had, you wouldn't have gotten anything in return. Instead, you traded, or "sold", your coin for another coin. Just because no actual money changed hands, doesn't mean there wasn't payment, you are just using a goods system of exchange instead of a monetary one.

-Krauss-McClurg

It's like if somebody gives you a birthday present. Do you turn around and sell it on eBay? No.

Heh, that depends on what the present is. I've had some gifts that were returned for cash or store credit. Now a personal coin, I would never do that with. When I'm in control of the "present" I'm getting I make sure it's one that I want. ;)

I don't want to see my coin on eBay, which is why I'm not trading anyone more than 1 copy. If one ends up on eBay without a good reason (ie: they're just cashing off on it) I would probably cease trading with that person.

I would never sell any coins I traded for (or otherwise) on eBay -- unless I had a real emergency and needed to liquidate assets (hopefully never on THAT!)

That stated, once one of my personal geobones leaves my hands -- it's gone. If you already have one or do not collect coins, I prefer you move it from cache to cache.

If you traded with me (via mail or via cache), then please feel free to consider it your property and do whatever you like (including eBay). I hold no grudge.

However, in my case, this is very unlikely to happen -- I think *maybe* three people were able to get more than one of a single type (ie 2 gold, 2 silver). In fact, I know that only one person has two gold ones.

As collectors, they are more likely to do better trading. I know almost all my traders are gone -- so the trade value may be more worthwhile than the eBay value (the only one on eBay was for charity and went for $91 -- I suspect a non-charity one would fetch (haha) $20)

Edited by Lemon Fresh Dog

If you have a babe Ruth baseball card is it not worth lots of money?  Do other baseball card collectors get mad if you sell your card on ebay?

one cool part about geocoins is we can make and design our own.  Or at least pay someone else to.  we are not dependent on some big central authority deciding what coins to mint and how many etc...  Each of us has the freedom to create our own.  Which allows for all the very unique colors, shapes, and QTYs,  etc.... 

Yes people are making money....    look at these guys WWW.GEOCOINCLUB.COM.  they are making money and should anyone have anything to say about it.  They have have invested a ton of time, money and effort into what they are doing.  And honestly look at the coins they have produced.  They are some of the best/most unique I have seen.

I suspect this is thread may just be kicking the dead horse.  BUt I am sincerely  trying to understand

If you look at Geocoins and collectibles in terms of exploiting demand and manipulating supply, you should be able to answer this question yourself.

The manufacturers and designers of Geocoins could have easily chosen to sell Geocoins through artificial supply shortage channels like eBay, but they instead decided to sell them to people on a fixed cost margin. In contrast, having an eBay "speculator" suddenly profit from significantly higher margins is kind of annoying (but not illegal).

Geocoin Club might be operating at a profit, but at least, they are trying to provide a service of getting GC trackable Geocoins in quantity to minimize cost. In contrast, the "speculator" is merely exploiting the demand to maximize his own profit, with no benefits to a larger group of people.

If the seller of the Babe Ruth baseball card bought it from an auction, a dealer, or by other monetary means, no one along that transaction chain will complain since everyone made a profit. If the original owner of the Babe Ruth card found out what happened, he'd likely be upset since he didn't get the cut. ;)

I agree with many who posted on this thread about not selling personal Geocoins on eBay. Even if not explicitly stated, it should be obvious that this is the owner's wish when you do a trade. Imagine if Moun10Bike chose not to mention the actual cost of making his coins, but instead decided to sell them to the highest bidder?

I think that folks have to understand the concept of property here. My design is my intellectual property, but the physical creation of a coin that I then trade for another is a property exchange.

I no longer own that coin and the other person no longer owns their coin. I am not a "coin bank" in which I save your coin for you.

My personal decision to not sell my geocoins is my own. What if I place a coin in a cache, it is found and sold? Is it my error as the original trader to have had this happen?

No.... once you trade you let go of ownership -- sorry.

To use the Babe Ruth example, if I traded for this card by giving a store a few dozen other cards -- is that store still the owner of my Babe Ruth card? Am I still the owner of the other cards? What if it was a friend and not a store? Do they deserve a cut because my card increased in demand/value and the ones I gave them didn't?

The line of reasoning I see here on geocoins is strange. The only coins you own are the ones in your possession. Even those you place in caches are no longer your property (especially if they are trade items!). Trackable coins are Travel Bugs -- so they are your property once activated as such -- however, leaving your property unsecured in a plastic container in the woods is always a little risky.

Yes people are making money....    look at these guys WWW.GEOCOINCLUB.COM.  they are making money and should anyone have anything to say about it.

What about you trying to make money by listing your affiliate ID on every geocoin club link you post? ;)

Not making money. But yes I am getting points which I will hopefully be able to get some free coins if I get enough points.

NEED MORE COINS B);)

For those of you who don't want your coins sold; there is a new whining thread.....

Like LemonFresh Dog said, if you don't have it in your posession, you don't own it or have any say in what happens to it.

of course you could always have people sign a contract and have it noterized before you trade with someone. ;)