Whether The Weather Is Hot

Super_Nate

What is the best kind of weather for Geocaching? Is it a cloudless day, a full-moon night, Summer, Winter, hurricane...share your perfect weather recipe to get out-doors and find caches.

All of the above.

And real men cache in shorts,

but I understand kilts are replacing that trend. :unsure::D

This I would like to see in 2' of snow, 10°F and 20 mph winds......

Me, the perfect caching weather would be about 60°F, clear sky, about 1 hour before dusk with just enough breeze to keep the bugs at bay.

Of course, that temperature is variable since I'm perfectly comfortable at -10°F if the wind isn't blowing, especially if I can keep walking.

Edited by dkwolf

Summer 110º - Fall 76º - Haven't cached in Winter or Spring yet. Don't think it will matter much except that the average rainfall here is somewhere between 26" and 29" so I will likely sit out some of that. I don't mind the wet, its the wet and cold that I'll be passing up in favor of not being wretchedly sick.

Kentucky has 2 seasons, Hot and cold. (as opposed to Indiana, which only has 1 season, the cold, wet, rainy, one.) Of the two I'll gladly take hot and humid over cold and rainy.

My perfect weather would be about 75-80 degrees, slight breese, and sunny. Barometric pressure about 30.30 and stable, and humidity around 70%. Dewpoint around 65 degrees would be nice. :unsure::D

Any weather is great weather for geocaching. I love going out in all conditions. Skigirl and I had a wonderful day of caching in a semi-monsoon a few weekends ago. It was the kind of cold, nasty, rainy day that I ordnarily would have spent cleaning the basement, but we donned our rain gear and had a blast.

The following weekend it was a beautiful, sunny, cool fall day and we enjoyed that just as much.

I've also had great days of geocaching in snowstorms and in below zero (F) temps. We'll take whatever Mother Nature throws at us. It adds to the experience.

Kentucky has 2 seasons, Hot and cold. (as opposed to Indiana, which only has 1 season, the cold, wet, rainy, one.) Of the two I'll gladly take hot and humid over cold and rainy.

Hmmm, having lived in Indiana most my life, I was unaware that we only had one season! Temps in summer can get 90+ and temps in winter can go under zero. Best of everything!

Maybe Kentuckians don't watch the national forecast on the Weather Channel. . . ;)

Now is my favorite time here in NM. Highs 65-70, lows mid 40s, low humidity, clear blue skies, light or no breeze and very few bugs.

This week we've been caching in Maples that have turned yellow, orange and red, in Cottomwoods that have started turning yellow and orange and Aspens that are turning gold. It's wonderful here year 'round but it's magical right now.

My perfect weather would be about 75-80 degrees, slight breese, and sunny. Barometric pressure about 30.30 and stable, and humidity around 70%. Dewpoint around 65 degrees would be nice. :(:D

As far as the idea of limited seasons go, visit Florida for a year. We DO get 4 seasons. They're known as:

1.) Almost Summer

2.) Summer

3.) Still Summer

4.) Christmas

Most, with the exception of every other Christmas include, 2000% humidity (anybody who hasn't lived here thinks the scale ends at 100%...ha, ha, ha :D ), skeeters that laugh at bug spray you buy at a store (the military might have something out in Nevada that could help, but they don't share), we won't introduce you to "no see-ums" on this thread, hurricanes, tornadoes, sunburn, sand (and sandspurs) in places you didn't know you had and other things.

Back to the OP, in the NW of FL...also known as the Panhandle, you just can't beat the weather in October. Highs average 65-75, lowes average 45-65, no humidity to talk about...anywhere from 500-700% (see above paragraph), skeeters go to their red carpet balls celebrating their "pints donated for the year" awards they've received and the place pretty much empties for the only time of the year from the college/rufian type tourist group. The water is still warm enough to swim in, the air is still warm enough to enjoy and it's hard to find people out and about during the work week. :(

I gotta agree with the sentiment that any weather that subdues the bugs is good weather.

Having grown up in south Florida, I got a real pang of nostalgia (not the good kind) at Jester2112's comments. No-see-ums! 30 years later and I still itch.

Here in SE Arizona I have the boonies to myself for most of the summer. There's one other tough old lizard (Hornytoad by name) who will cache in the 100-110-degree heat, but that's about it.

My perfect weather would be about 75-80 degrees, slight breese, and sunny. Barometric pressure about 30.30 and stable, and humidity around 70%. Dewpoint around 65 degrees would be nice. :lol::drama:

It's amazing all of everyones opinions about the best weather to cache in. That is why the caches get found all year around 'cause of people viewing the good side of Mother Nature in different ways.

I've now got to express my views. For as much as I really don't care about the weather when caching...that means thunderstorms, hail, snow, wind, rain...my absolute favrote would likly fit with Airmapper. The only difference is a light cloud cover vs. bright and sunny. Not a heavy cloud cover to mess with the reception, but a slight something to allow me to lose the shades and see where I am driving when doing the multi-task of driving and GPS observing stuff. 75-80 degrees is the greatest temp known to man!