Death Valley Backpacking And Caching

DeskJocky

I am considering going to Death Valley to do some backpacking and some caching in mid December. Has anyone done this, or can point me in the direction of some good information?

I am planning on flying into Vegas and renting a very cheap car to drive out. I only have 3-3.5 days available at the park.

We're near Death Valley and might be able to provide some info. I know that there is not supposed to be any caches in National Parks, but there sure are a lot of them near Death Valley. If you plan to go off road, remember to bring more than you think you might need with you. Most rental places will not rent 4WD vehicles in Vegas from what I've heard. The weather in Death Valley in the winter changes very rapidly.

I was considering doing the Cottonwood-Marble Canyon loop. From what I was reading a normal car can make it to a parking area. Is that true?

I was only planning on logging a virt if I was near one in the park. The main focus of this trip is backpacking...

Thanks for any info...

i recomend a high clearence vehicle if you do cotton wood. With all the rain a flooding that has occured, the road is no longer as it once was. Also, most of the caches in that area are in Panimont Valley. It is the next valley over. It takes a good day to get there from DV. If this a a caching trip, then I recomend doing that. But if you just want to see the valley and maybe do a few virtuals, then stay in the valley. The lower you are, the warmer it is. It is currently about 85 degress on the floor and 35 degress in the hills. good luck!!! contact The_Blacksmith for any info. He is there right now, climbing telescope peak and doing a little caching along the way. Happy caching. :rolleyes:

I am considering going to Death Valley to do some backpacking and some caching in mid December. Has anyone done this, or can point me in the direction of some good information?

I am planning on flying into Vegas and renting a very cheap car to drive out. I only have 3-3.5 days available at the park.

Thanks for this thread as I am going camping at Death Valley over Christmas so could use the info too.

Death Valley Report: Fun, Fun, Fun :lol:

Nice during the day, but you might need a sweater in the evening and early morning. Great hot spring fed swimming pool at Furnace Creek along with showers if you need them (if you're camping). Two Virtuals at Furnace Creek.

We drove up to Aguereberry Point the first day (great view), explored the mines in the area. Got a camping spot at Furnace Creek and explored the hills around the campground. Day two headed South to pick up Devils Golf Course (Earth Cache), Badwater (low point in U.S.) and back up for Natural Arch and finished off with a hiking loop up Golden Canyon and down Gower Gulch (4-5 mile slot canyon).

Day three was a hike up Mosaic Canyon near Stovepipe wells and some playing on the nearby sand dunes.

Day four was up to Fall Canyon (slot canyon) and drooled over the one way 4 wheel road through the nearby Titus Canyon. Tried to get out to the Racetrack, but was getting late so we just took in Uhehebe Crater on the way back to the campground.

Last day was spent driving up to Ureka Sand Dunes, tearing off the plastic cover under the car near Crankshaft Junction, and tore a piece of the sidewall off of one tire (was flat the next morning).

My opinion: the dirt roads are passible for just about any car, but you'll have to drive very slowly with a standard car. 4 wheel would just make it more fun and a bit quicker. Most of the roads to the slot canyons are very well maintained, but something like the Racetrack could take you a couple of hours to negotiate the 20 or so miles of washboard and dry washes.

You'll have a blast either way B)