Geocaching Etiquette

I find caches in other caches, win or am given them at events, and swap with other cachers quite frequently. I usually mention that "You can blame BackBrakeBilly for this evil hide, he made and gave it to me!" but I don't give anyone co-hider recognition unless they were there with me when I hid it.

Edit to add: If you list someone else on the Geocache Listing Form as a co-owner (by putting two names in the owner field) then they are assumed to be as responsible as you are for maintaining the cache. Verify with any co-hider that they will do this before listing them as co-owner.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler
If you list someone else on the Geocache Listing Form as a co-owner (by putting two names in the owner field) then they are assumed to be as responsible as you are for maintaining the cache.

I don't subscribe to that line of thought. The cacher who's profile is linked from the cache page is the only one who can disable it when it's muggled, update coords, change descriptions etc. , so it's their responsibility to maintain. I see it as more of a recognition and a thanks for helping me place the cache, or when I've adopted their cache.

If you list someone else on the Geocache Listing Form as a co-owner (by putting two names in the owner field) then they are assumed to be as responsible as you are for maintaining the cache.

I don't subscribe to that line of thought. The cacher who's profile is linked from the cache page is the only one who can disable it when it's muggled, update coords, change descriptions etc. , so it's their responsibility to maintain. I see it as more of a recognition and a thanks for helping me place the cache, or when I've adopted their cache.

I agree with BadAndy. A person who is a "co-owner" has no real control over the cache. They're just asked to do the "dirty work." I say this from first-hand experience.

I agree with BadAndy. A person who is a "co-owner" has no real control over the cache. They're just asked to do the "dirty work." I say this from first-hand experience.

Not when it comes to action online, but if the cache needs maintenance or checked on, a reviewer may look at that other name and at least send an e-mail asking questions... (is it there, where's the owner, etc)

If you merely recieved the container from another cacher, then say so in the description. Putting thier name in the "placed by" would indicate they were involved with the hide. Either way, you may want to ask them first, they may not want thier name associated with the hide.

Not when it comes to action online, but if the cache needs maintenance or checked on, a reviewer may look at that other name and at least send an e-mail asking questions... (is it there, where's the owner, etc)

I wouldn't be surprised if a reviewer did just that, especially if the actual owner went mia. Thats a far cry from being "equally responsible for maintaining the cache."

I wouldn't be surprised if a reviewer did just that, especially if the actual owner went mia. Thats a far cry from being "equally responsible for maintaining the cache."

True, i guess the point I was trying to make is that if the only involvement the other person had is by leaving the container in the cache, then there is no implied responsibility/credit/blame for it's placement, only for the container.

If it is some sort of "special" thing you got from a cache then I'd note it in the description with thanks to the person you got it from. If it's a film can a bison tube with a log in it or something of that sort that you got from a cache and are hiding it then I wouldn't really consider that worth listing.

Up to you really.