Car Gps - Pointing On Map To Navigate Too

kph100

As per me previous post im looking at getting a car based GPS to get us to the parking space then use my garmin legend from there to the cache.

Is it possible on systems like TOM TOm and garmin i3 etc to point to the place on the map where you want to go to or does it have to be entered only by post code or street name ?

Obviously a parking space in a country road etc I wont know its postcode or name, or even the longtitude etc for the given spot ........

anyone with knowledge ........

Ian.

Tom Tom & Navman both support POI's... Points of Interest. Basically a text file database of Lat/Long co-ords and a short text description. You can download the whole of the UK's geocaches from G:UK and import them as a POI. It is then easy to see Geocaches on the screen, search for your nearest from any point, and navigate by road to the nearest point to each one.

I use a Navman 510 with all the UK's Geocaches & Trig points loaded. Very handy for navigating to cache & trig locations, although not fool proof! It's still possible to find a car park just a few hundred meters from a cache only to find a river, railway line, etc... between you and it!

Stay cool

J

As per me previous post im looking at getting a car based GPS to get us to the parking space then use my garmin legend from there to the cache.

Is it possible on systems like TOM TOm and garmin i3 etc to point to the place on the map where you want to go to or does it have to be entered only by post code or street name ?

Obviously a parking space in a country road etc I wont know its postcode or name, or even the longtitude etc for the given spot ........

Ian.

All I do is plot myself a route on the map , zoom into area's that I want to stop off at on the way and add each one as a waypoint.I always use a paper map to find best places to park and then see if I can get as near as I can on the tomtom map. usually it works ok for me

Nige

Ian.

I use a Garmin iQue 3600 for car navigation. With that you can enter parking co-ords as Lat/Long , Grid ref, export the cache co-ords directly from CacheMate or just select a point on the map with the stylus. Much better than TomTom and the 'girl in the box' is probably a lot prettier too :)

Ian.

There's a (fairly) easy way to get the parking coords from the cache page into TomTom.

You have to download all the relevant web pages and import them into the excellent Waypoint Workbench. This clever spreadsheet strips out all the digits which appear to be coords and creates a file from them, which can then be exported into GSAK and then to TomTom as a point of interest file.

It's a bit intensive to start, with all the downloading and processing - but it saves a lot of time when out and about.

HTH

civilised

I use a Tomtom 300 to get me to a parking spot for a cache, then my GPS60 to actually locate the cache.

Using Memorymap (or the map provided on the cache page), I convert these to postcode (to get nearby display on Tomtom) and then manipulate TT to store the final parking spot.

Post Codes are pretty accurate in towns and suburbs, but for rural areas can be as much as 1/4 mile out.

Once in the area on the map, you can 'navigate to point on map' using the cursor and save it - works a treat.

Jon

I too am interseted in buying a satnav for the motor, have seen the i3 for £179 but was a bit concerned about the size of the screen...it is tiny! have seen a navman for about the same price (didn't get the model number) and the screen is bigger, (2.5 ins as compared to the i3's 1.8 ins) does anyone know how these two units compare to each other, both as a simple satnav and as an aid to geocaching? I know there are loads of experts out there and I would really value your opinion.

Thanks in advance...Si. :rolleyes: